Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I entirely mod out clothing?  (Read 1912 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I entirely mod out clothing?
« on: April 05, 2012, 03:36:51 pm »

Hi, I'd like to remove all clothing from the game, as well as dwarves' desire to be clothed.  I find it a useless drain on my FPS and have no desire to be playing a knitting simulation game.

However, my efforts to this effect have not worked.  Removing kinds of clothing from the raws makes them disappear, but dwarves get unhappy.  Removing [CLOTHING] and [SUBTERRANEAN_CLOTHING] from dwarves has not stopped them from being upset, either.

Any assistance?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: How do I entirely mod out clothing?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 03:38:47 pm »

Report this known, AFAIK unreported problem to bugtracker and hope that it will be someday fixed?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 03:43:18 pm »

Hi, I'd like to remove all clothing from the game, as well as dwarves' desire to be clothed.  I find it a useless drain on my FPS and have no desire to be playing a knitting simulation game.

However, my efforts to this effect have not worked.  Removing kinds of clothing from the raws makes them disappear, but dwarves get unhappy.  Removing [CLOTHING] and [SUBTERRANEAN_CLOTHING] from dwarves has not stopped them from being upset, either.

Any assistance?

I agree, negative clothing thoughts should be a d_init parameter.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 03:48:26 pm »

Supposedly, dwarves get unhappy thoughts from having no clothing on the UPPERBODY, LOWERBODY, and STANCE body parts. You might be able to go into body_default.txt and remove [UPPERBODY] from the humanoid plan's upper body, [LOWERBODY] from the humanoid plan's lower body, and then simply equip everybody with shoes only since removing all the STANCE parts actually causes problems. Strictly speaking, I don't think you actually need UPPERBODY or LOWERBODY tokens for a creature to work, so removing them might not be a problem. This change would make any humanoid critters somewhat harder to kill, as slicing off their lower body would no longer be instantly fatal, instead making that more like having a limb severed, but otherwise might work. It might make it impossible to equip torso or leg armor, though.

If that doesn't work, you might try moving the LOWERBODY token to the upper body so one piece of clothing would cover both the upper and lower bodies. This might make it impossible to equip leg armor.

If you try this and it works, please report back; I've been thinking about ways to reduce the number of required clothing pieces below 4, but haven't had a chance to test these methods.

By the way, if you remove every STANCE body part, I'm pretty sure a creature can't stand anymore, so that's why you can't just outright remove those to remove the shoe requirement.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 03:49:48 pm »

The fact that clothing gives bad thoughts is actually the way that the game used to function before the clothing system was too broken. Similar to the economy, it is actually a feature that has been in the game for years now, but has been disabled due to problems. So having bad thoughts about being naked is actually the intended way of the game as set up by Toady One. What I would much rather prefer would for there to be a [NO_CLOTHING] tag which enables people to have animal man civilizations that don't get bad thoughts from being naked.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:56:20 pm »

Or rather the lack of the CLOTHING token should do it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:59:05 pm »

I don't care what Toady's intentions were.  This is a modding forum... I don't find it at all fun and want to remove it.

My new plan is to mod the clothing workshop with custom reactions so that you can simply make like 50 pieces of clothing at once with one piece of cloth, or something.  Then I can just make a whole fort's worth of clothing in 10 seconds and not be bothered by it.  And mod all other civs to not ever wear clothes for siege purposes.

Will let you know about that...

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 04:45:03 pm »

Um okay, i'm really confused.

When I go into reaction_other.txt, THIS works absolutely correctly, making 50 of everything from one log:

[REACTION:RENDER_FAT]
   [NAME:render fat]
   [BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_R]
   [REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:100:SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:100:SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SOCKS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:50:PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:50:ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TUNIC:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:COOK]

But adding this does NOT WORK, even while changing render_fat to use key "C" OR even when removing render fat entirely:

[REACTION:COOK_OUTFITS]
   [NAME:cook outfits]
   [BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_R]
   [REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:100:SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:100:SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SOCKS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:50:PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:50:ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TUNIC:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:COOK]

The only thing I changed there was the NAME of the reaction...?!
It just doesn't even come up as an option in the kitchen menu anymore.
How do I make a new custom reaction if it seems to be hard-coded to only accept the particular names of the existing reactions?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:54:46 pm by GavJ »

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 04:55:45 pm »

Thought are hardcoded IIRC, so to entirely remove the problem we'd have to convince Toady to make it an option in the init/d_init files.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 04:59:23 pm »

GavJ: you need to put [PERMITTED_REACTION:COOK_OUTFITS] somewhere under the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] section in entity_default.txt and generate a new world for new reactions to be available.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 05:23:04 pm »

GavJ: you need to put [PERMITTED_REACTION:COOK_OUTFITS] somewhere under the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] section in entity_default.txt and generate a new world for new reactions to be available.
Ahhhhh, okay.  Thanks.

So yeah, that works, and is pretty painless as a workaround for bad clothes thoughts.  I think I might add the minor modification that instead of being wooden socks, etc., it makes them all elf leather.