Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: (Active) Kelnimar - Metalpaths  (Read 35419 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: (Planning) Kelnimar - Metalpaths
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2012, 09:47:44 pm »

i think the flying dwarf squads are in. i wonder if there will be cart-only doors/gates/hatches/other such nonsense. i wonder if merchants can use them.... like if you have a 2 wide path of them if merchants can popup with large carts. or i might just be retarded. take your pick.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2012, 01:47:35 am »

Quote from: Devlog
[Concentrated Awesomesauce]

Okay, so three things we should be taking away from this:

- Dwarves riding carts is pretty much confirmed to be in for this release.

- Dwarves can apparently take independent action while riding a cart (to what extent, I wonder?).

- It is semi-possible to launch a dwarf through the air without killing it.

I'll have to see if I can set up an aerial bombardment squad consisting of crossbow-wielding dorfs riding minecarts launched into low-earth orbit.

Also, Toady's offhanded comment regarding the potential implications of this new system for cages implies that Aseaheru may in fact be getting his minecart archery range, which is amusing to me.

@Aseaheru:

Depending on how Toady handles things, you might be able to sort minecarts based on whether a creature's riding them. It depends on whether a creature riding a cart can still trigger pressure plates set to activate when a creature's on them. (NOTE TO SELF: Test this.)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2012, 08:14:03 am »

i cant believe i did not think of this before.....

FLYING VAMPIRE CARTS INTO THE SUN! and then into a little box/cell/thing full of lava
also if you link a cage to a lever, then move the cage, is it still linked? dog bombs
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:58:28 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2012, 02:25:56 pm »

Why hasnt anyone suggested having militia archers in minecarts flying from tower to tower shooting enemies while flying through the air? I can see the goblins shocked faces right now.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2012, 10:44:16 am »

i thought that was part of the flying troops/bombs
Highly Opinionated Fool

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2012, 04:14:53 pm »

So in a fit of spring cleaning last night, I broke my laptop, the love of my life.  :'( On a side note the exhaust fan works twice as good now, so I guess I fixed a squeaky door but in the process burned down the house.

This means I probably won't be able to run forts for a while, certainly not in the timely manner required by a succession game. I withdraw my request for overseership. I wish you luck, colleagues. I'm sad I can't join you.

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2012, 01:05:59 am »

In contrast to KoboldWarmonger, I will actually be buying a new laptop within the next few weeks which should allow for fast !!SCIENCE!!. I'd love to join.

As for more test ideas:

What happens when two minecarts collide (on ground/in air)? Are carts destroyed? If so, how? If not, how do they fall/fly away? How do varying speeds affect trajectory of items/carts after collision? How do objects scatter if minecarts collide?

This could probably all fall under a "minecart collision statistics" category.

There are bunches of applications for that sort of information, including directed minecart attacks, weaponized magma or directed, AOE, heavy stone bombs (better and more dwarfy than catapults), mid-air delivery systems, and probably other stuff I can't think of right now.

吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2012, 12:38:29 pm »

Posting to watch. Sounds interesting.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2012, 02:12:15 pm »

is there a breaking limit to carts? can tantrums affect carts? can carts be used in artifacts? or be made as one?
Highly Opinionated Fool

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2012, 10:44:57 am »

Quote from: Devlog
[Concentrated Awesomesauce]

Okay, so three things we should be taking away from this:

- Dwarves riding carts is pretty much confirmed to be in for this release.

- Dwarves can apparently take independent action while riding a cart (to what extent, I wonder?).

- It is semi-possible to launch a dwarf through the air without killing it.

I'll have to see if I can set up an aerial bombardment squad consisting of crossbow-wielding dorfs riding minecarts launched into low-earth orbit.

Also, Toady's offhanded comment regarding the potential implications of this new system for cages implies that Aseaheru may in fact be getting his minecart archery range, which is amusing to me.

@Aseaheru:

Depending on how Toady handles things, you might be able to sort minecarts based on whether a creature's riding them. It depends on whether a creature riding a cart can still trigger pressure plates set to activate when a creature's on them. (NOTE TO SELF: Test this.)

That piece of text just describes dwarf fortress perfectly

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2012, 11:28:45 am »

I'd like to sign up for this. I'm curious to test the effectiveness of creating a sealed off transit system as well as how effective carts are for causing "accidents" on nobles.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2012, 03:29:49 pm »

heres a question. what happens when a wood cart (if there can be one), loaded with wood and other burnables, gets filled with lava?
Highly Opinionated Fool

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2012, 03:45:51 am »

heres a question. what happens when a wood cart (if there can be one), loaded with wood and other burnables, gets filled with lava?
Presumably it and it's contents burst into flames
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2012, 06:58:49 pm »

i hope so. although trees wont burn in lava... :-\
Highly Opinionated Fool

Triskelli

• Bay Watcher
  • A man of wealth and taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2012, 10:33:56 pm »

Posting to follow.  I expect a full revolution of how items are organized and transported stemming from this thread.  Won't be satisfied until there's an entire gravity yard that is able to sort carts based on all industries.  For additional challenge, all the carts have to pass through the same length of track.

Also, fingers crossed for modded engines.  If minecarts are creatures like wagons, then there should be no problem defining a "locomotive" as both a cart and a hauling creature, with smoke-emissions.  8)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13