Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: (Active) Kelnimar - Metalpaths  (Read 35126 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
(Active) Kelnimar - Metalpaths
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:34:49 pm »

Kelnimar has begun!  Abandon ye all hope, for here there lie dwarves going at speed.

Embarked upon a peaceful enough flat shrubland with a brook running along the northern side.  4x4 embark, 100 mineral scarcity, single cavern layer, thick layers of stone, and a handful of dwarves who don't know what they're doing.

List:

Waiting
Completed
Pending Pickup
Playing
Skipped
Postponed

Girlinhat - 1
    Naryar - 1 2 3
    Mr Frog
    NCommander
    Talvieno
    KoboldWarmonger
    Eric Blank
    blue sam3
    tahujdt
    Trif
    Sphalerite
    davros
    Niyazov
    HorridOwn4ge
    Gilihad
    greatorder
    xmakina
    Komra
    ignatzami
    WaffleEggnog
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:58:04 pm by Girlinhat »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: (Applications) Kelnimar - Metalpaths
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:41:26 pm »

Sure, why not ?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 08:45:15 pm »

I'll sign up for a turn.

Actually, to confirm, how much detail/narrative-ness (that can be a word, right?) will we be going for on the updates? Like, 'in-character roleplay with all the trappings' or 'so I did this and some !!SCIENCE!! happened and here's some pictures of exploding goblins and the save for the next person'?

Also,

Quote from: Girlinhat
success fort

Surely, you jest?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:48:12 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:57:10 pm »

That's a typo, but I'll leave it in for hilarity's sake.

I'm not planning huge RP narrative for this, but rather "doctor's notes" on the growth and experimentation of the fort.  Footnotes about population numbers and the arrival/dismissal of sieges, but not deep trawls of word and wisdom concerning the battles at hand.

Essentially, the mayor has one scroll on which to write the year's summary to send back with the liaison, but has five scrolls to go over the new mechanisms and cart dynamics.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:58:47 pm »

PTW.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:10:36 pm »

So we just have to make sure that the writeup's readable and concise? Sweet, the odds of me getting nervous and dropping out the second my turn comes around just dropped by 100% :D

Should we get started on brainstorming ideas? 'Cause there won't be much else to do on this front 'till the release comes around in a month/2 months/a year.

I'm currently thinking minecart danger rooms would be awesomely lethal. If dwarves can ride in minecarts as well, there may be potential in launching militiadwarves across gaps as a one-way shortcut to the outside of the fort assuming that it's possible for them to land safely there's only one way to find out, Urist, so get in the damn suicide cart.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 09:17:13 pm »

I'll sign up for a turn. I've always waned to be part of a succession for and helping  research for !!SCIENCE!!. Some part of me wants to set up siege towers and see if they can hit minecarts as they move (kinda like a target range).

Dwarfish clay pigeons :-).
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:38:33 pm »

PTW
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 09:51:00 pm »

I approve wholeheartedly of this succession idea. I'm applying to be one of the lucky few, if you'll accept me. =P
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 11:26:15 pm »

We're doomed. I'm in! :D

A dwarf stumbles in, his beard caked with vomit and what appears to be blood. He fits right in, but his presence is still a little odd- none of you recall ever seeing him in the fortress before. He speaks.

"I am intrigued by these.. mine-carts. In my previous fortresses, peasant satisfaction at their jobs is typically very low. A particularly popular dwarf having an unfortunate accident results in a tantrum wave which potentially destroys the fortress... not that I've ever experienced such a thing before. With me as overseer, our peasants will be safe. Yes... very safe."

For some reason, you don't believe him.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:38:06 pm by KoboldWarmonger »

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 11:55:15 pm »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 12:06:30 am »

I'd love to participate in a fortress set up for !!SCIENCE!!

I currently can't think of anything to test, though. Perhaps something will come up and not be used before I get a chance to study it.

If not, I can keep the fortress on it's feet and acquire materials for other researchers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 12:29:16 am »

I currently can't think of anything to test, though. Perhaps something will come up and not be used before I get a chance to study it.

Well, that's really only to be expected. We don't actually know what we're working with here -- all we have are a couple tantalizing devlog quotes and a dash of wishful thinking. Once the version's out and we actually have some hard data, coming up with applications for said data will be much more simple.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 12:38:04 am »

ooh, I've got an question to !!SCIENCE!!: how does a loaded minecart (on rails and off) subjected to a cave-in react in comparison to other items? if it sruvives, as items sometimes do (not from a direct hit I don't think...), then will it maintain it's load, and if so, to what degree?

We also need to test how much protection, if any, they provide to items hauled within, especially when subjected to submersion in lava or water. Such as caged creatures or flammable items. I suspect they will open up a lot of possibilities for the !!SCIENCE!! of !!MATERIALS!! research, wherein materials and containers are subjected to heat in a fortress- or adventur-mode environment, due to the fact that there will be ways to move minecarts into and out of areas affected by magma and flames, whereas dwarves would die in the middle/carrying a burning object and ruining the experiment.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 12:42:26 am »

I too am interested in the transport of caged creatures, though applications are limited since presumably there'll be no way to get stuff out of the cart or open the cages without direct dwarf intervention.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13