Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: (Active) Kelnimar - Metalpaths  (Read 35135 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: (Applications) Kelnimar - Metalpaths
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 12:48:48 am »

I think the first order of business will simply be testing limits -- how much impact does it take to convert a minecart into Xxminecart bitsxX [10]? Will the cargo survive? How exactly do the tracks work?

This is kind of driving me nuts. There are so many questions, and I already know what I want the answers to be, but I'll have to wait at least a few weeks to get them and see  ô__Õ twitch twitch twich
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 09:15:04 am »

I may be interested, if I have time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 01:17:47 pm »

PTW

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 01:55:35 pm »

I'll sign up! Dwarven Temple of Doom ftw!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 01:59:12 pm »

A fortress, dedicated to the noble cause of ‼Science‼ ? I apply for the job!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 02:07:09 pm »

I will happily submit my name for participation in this noble cause, with the note that I may be fairly busy for the next month, so it would be best if my turn came after that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 02:15:04 pm »

I'm currently thinking of flash rounds.  Each turn is 1 day long, and 1 year of dwarf.  The intent here is to go quick, do dwarf, and get science done so we can report findings in a timely manner.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 03:46:56 pm »

That wouldn't really work well with everyone's schedules. A whole lot of not-DF can occur within 24 hours. Perhaps 3-5 days could be do-able?

I also don't really see how a succession game, even/especially a well-managed one, could be considered an efficient method for conducting ‼SCIENCE‼ either way. Too clumsy and disorganized.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:48:33 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 03:51:33 pm »

I'm currently thinking of flash rounds.  Each turn is 1 day long, and 1 year of dwarf.  The intent here is to go quick, do dwarf, and get science done so we can report findings in a timely manner.

Oooh, wow... :-\ If you're set on that, I may have to drop out. :( It can take me around two hours for a single season, after a few years in, when the FPS drops to 10. I second Eric's suggestion... 2-4 days, perhaps? On the lower end of that. I could manage a turn in two days, no matter how low the FPS was.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 04:13:26 pm »

Hmm, fair point, I may try "flash rounds" later.  For now conventional succession.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 02:37:23 am »

PTW

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 04:26:31 am »

I must say that 1-day turns seem too short to me. After all we are doing science and occasionally !!SCIENCE!!.

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2012, 01:16:15 pm »

I'd be down for a flash round, I'm checking the changelog religiously every day anyway. Whoever gets the third migrant wave is probably going to spend her/his whole turn doing housekeeping, though, since we're going to be all excited about minecarts and probably going to forget things like beds.

I agree that a succession game is not as nimble as multiple suicide embarks, as far as science is concerned. That's the point, though! We will probably screw up and serve as entertainment and preliminary research for the others.

I'm still excited. Depending on when my turn is I'd like to build the quarryvator- pulling ore up from the depths en masse to be worked. I sleep fitfully at night, imagining what it would be like to come up with something that will further dwarfkind- a warmonger quarryvator in every fortress! The smelters will run hot around the clock, and hopefully we won't need a bucket-line of peasants to keep it going.

I see no mention of powered tracks from Toady, though. We're going to need to do a lot of little tests regarding how momentum works- how long of a run do we need to get up a hill and around a bend? Is it better to have light or heavy carts? (Do heavy carts go slower? Do they keep momentum longer?)

Maybe I'm going to have to make peasants pull the carts. :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:19:09 pm by KoboldWarmonger »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 04:23:18 pm »

Toady has already included "rollers" that are "booster tracks".  So we can 100% confirm automated cart movement.  All that we need to figure out, is how efficient one booster is and how high can a cart be launched from a certain number of rollers.

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 04:54:17 pm »

D'oh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13