Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: (Active) Kelnimar - Metalpaths  (Read 35133 times)

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
Re: (Planning) Kelnimar - Metalpaths
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2012, 05:14:58 am »

Okay then, just let me double-check and correct... here-
  • Girlinhat
  • Naryar
  • Mr Frog
  • NCommander
  • Talvieno
  • KoboldWarmonger (cancelled, may rejoin)
  • Eric Blank
  • blue sam3 (tentative)
  • tahujdt
  • Trif
  • Sphalerite
  • davros
  • Niyazov
  • HorridOwn4ge
  • Gilihad
  • greatorder
  • xmakina
  • Komra
  • ignatzami
  • WaffleEggnog
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:17:04 am by Komra »
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2012, 07:26:07 am »

Ready to toss fun stuff at goblins and make rollercoasters !
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:30:34 am by Naryar »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2012, 01:51:04 pm »

And I realize that I will be doing most of the setup and not have much time for actual carts myself.  A shame, but it shall be fun to see how things progress.  I'm currently doing a bit of a project in Wurm but I should be able to post the map up tonight.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2012, 02:23:19 pm »

@Girlinhat:

Well, there's technically nothing stopping you from taking two turns -- one to set up the fort, and another to actually do important things, such as determining the effects of ramming goblins into magma on the goblins' health. I can't speak for the other participants, but I wouldn't have any issues with that. From what I've seen, you're one of the more talented ‼SCIENTIST‼s on the forum, and it'd be a shame for your only direct contribution to the fort to be simple grunt work.

Maybe the first time someone fails to take their turn, you could take an additional turn in their place? That would prevent anyone from being forced to wait longer than they should for their turn, since there wouldn't be any more turns to wait through -- the turn would just be taken by a different person than expected.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Komra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2012, 03:52:36 am »

@Girlinhat:
Maybe the first time someone fails to take their turn, you could take an additional turn in their place? That would prevent anyone from being forced to wait longer than they should for their turn, since there wouldn't be any more turns to wait through -- the turn would just be taken by a different person than expected.

I second this.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2012, 04:57:38 am »

Thirded, although I'm also fine with Girlinhat taking two first turns, what with all her !SCIENCE! background.
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2012, 08:32:09 am »

Well, this is a science fort, so it would probably be better for Girlinhat to take two years and install some of the infrastructure needed.

Also defending against goblins.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2012, 09:44:38 am »

All goblin defense shall be minecart.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2012, 11:29:31 am »

All goblin defense shall be minecart.

Good luck on that... oh well, it'll be funnier than standard goblin defense anyways.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2012, 02:58:56 pm »

Perhaps I'll post some diagrams for a large-particle kinetic barrier (aka high-speed minecart highway/ramp system). Should prove to cause some gorefests.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2012, 02:22:20 pm »

I've taken a few years.  Two years and one season, I believe.  It is now Summer of Year 5, left paused on the start of summer as I have seasonal autosave and pause.  I was originally going to take two years, but it took an extra bit of time to test the Dwarven Market Haggler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
9 Windmills, 8 would have sufficed but I just added an extra.  Technically 10 windmills.  How it works:
1: Minecarts are loaded from a level above, and set to push west always immediately.  The dwarf will grab a cart and push it into the hole, where they then cannot path to it and will leave it alone.
2: The rollers along the eastern edge keep the carts "primed" and a single windmill keeps them active.
3: The floodgates prevent the carts from moving.
4: The lever to the far left opens the floodgates when it's time to discuss market prices.
5: We don't know what happens, but intense diplomacy occurs and prices are debated.
6: Carts drop to the lower level where haulers pick them up and put them back onto the upper loading level, allowing for re-firing.
7: When the lever is pulled again, the merchants have gleefully agreed to donate much of their wares free of charge!

Issues:
1: Sometimes when striking a large caravan, carts can get stuck on the depot floor.
2: Rarely, live traders will be pushed into the pit on the left, and may or may not be struck by the next minecart that falls down.
3: I need to tidy it up a bit, as it is there's room for wounded traders to wander out of flight path.  More creative bridges and doors would be needed for very fun haggling.

And finally, the science I've learned.
Rollers will push a cart at 2 ticks per tile.
A cart striking a creature will deal one combat strike, usually non-fatal as it destroys the creature's leg but not their skull.
Rollers take 2 energy per tile.
You CANNOT build a windmill directly over a roller, it claims there is no nearby machine!
Rollers can push a cart into a wall or doorway, keeping them at "max speed" while allowing you to open the door at a later time.
Yaks are hilarious.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6376
You're up Nayar, you have until the end of this year and the full rest of next year (7 seasons).  This should let you build some fortress infrastructure that I didn't bother with.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2012, 04:36:05 pm »

So rollers do hard-set speed, then? Welp, I'm probably looking pretty stupid right about now.

EDIT: Maybe put a link to the first update into the OP? There's like 8 pages of junk to go through as it is.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Active) Kelnimar - Metalpaths
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2012, 03:23:25 am »

Got it.

I will post updates frequently, with pictures, maybe once per season or once per two seasons.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:31:29 am by Naryar »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2012, 01:35:26 am »

I have quite a bit of stuff to do today, so expect an update in less than a day.

I will finish my turn this week-end.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2012, 09:49:13 am »

Please, don't hurry :p  I'm still trying to come up with something creative and original to do with minecarts.

Unfortunately, I -- having the engineering flair of a slightly-rotten potato -- have been unable to come up with anything beyond "ram the minecart into the unwanted creature", which I'm sure we can agree is the minecart equivalent of cheese and crackers :(

I'm worried that I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13