Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: (Active) Kelnimar - Metalpaths  (Read 35128 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: (Active) Kelnimar - Metalpaths
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2012, 11:23:15 am »

When in doubt, add flight.  Crash a minecart into an undesirable creature while flying.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2012, 12:25:22 pm »

Please, don't hurry :p  I'm still trying to come up with something creative and original to do with minecarts.

Well I just had. It's a minecart external active defense system.

Instead of simple stone walls, put several tracks around fortress entry, with frequent wind-powered roller systems. Each of these tracks has plenty of minecarts on each.

So when a goblin puts foot on the outer track, activate the system and release minecarts  ! WHAM ! Fatality !

May take more than one year and seven months, but maybe Mr. Frog wants to continue my project...

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2012, 02:18:52 pm »

Ah, I see that the particle force-shield is already in place, then. Frog, any thoughts on lava delivery systems?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2012, 02:50:15 pm »

Actually, assuming that magma-filled minecarts heat up their surroundings, it may be better to just line up a bunch of magma-filled iron carts in a corridor to route invaders through, because they'll just take the shortest path and ignore the fact that said path is lined with 12000šU magma-powered 'heating elements'. Dwarven Toaster?

Minecarts only seem to carry two units of magma at a time, so you'd probably need two magma carts operating side-by-side to fill areas before they can dry up, and even then you'd need a reservoir in case you need to do something faster than 2-4 units per cycle.

I'm thinking an easy-ish way to get magma up would be with a spiraling rampway wrapping around a long vertical pillar of gear assemblies and axles, with rollers being powered by the assemblies. I'm not fond of the potential mechanism or power requirements, though (and I think you'd also need to make the rollers out of magma-safe materials). Care would have to be taken to minimize the number of rollers needed (how many up-ramps can a single max-speed roller launch a cart up?)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Komra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2012, 03:35:16 pm »

(how many up-ramps can a single max-speed roller launch a cart up?)
Sounds like our next experiment.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2012, 05:25:31 pm »

Reading that last bit about carts rolling magma around brought something to mind-- A ramp, a magmafall, a waterfall. Not sure if it's possible/feasible [and certainly not efficient, I'd think] though.

I'm not sure why I find it so amusing, but I have the image of a dwarf crafter pulling a lever to signal that he needs more obsidian, turning around and diving for cover as a cart full of freshly-made obsidian (from those two LOVELY shimmering blue/red curtains visible outside his window...) comes slamming into the wall right next to him.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2012, 05:45:59 pm »

The issue with the obsidian caster, is that any way you build it, it generates a floor.  You'll create exactly one tile of obsidian which will not fall - it will be supported by the tracks.

Instead, I believe you need to "shotgun" magma and water out towards each other to collide in the middle.  The problem is, I believe they're "items" while in flight, and only become liquids when they stop moving.  So it may not be very easy.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2012, 05:58:22 am »

Any news?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2012, 08:48:16 am »

Yeah, sorry about being late. IRL stuff is in the way, expect an update in... 3 - 4 hours ?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:43:36 am by Naryar »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Active) Kelnimar - Metalpaths - UPDATED
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2012, 12:20:23 pm »

Early Autumn, Year 5, Kelnimar

So it has been only one season.

The dwarves were crying for beer when I arrived. Being a mostly pragmatic overlord, I accepted their demands. Booze production has been installed and booze stocks are now sufficient. After all they will not work as well without beer. May as well slaughter a few animals to give them meat... when the horse population will be a bit bigger.

I have started the building of the minecart active denial system (aka minecart shield). It will take a bit of time, maybe I won't have enough time to finish it, at least I can make most of the infrastructure.

On z-1, , on the pits of Girlinhat's caravan FUN machine, there is a lone survivor trader elf that refuses to leave. While I develop dark, minecart-y plots to break some of his limbs, they seem not to succeed for now. Let us see what the future will hold for him.

Migration wave and a baby have brought population to 31. I just hope the pop will not explode. Am I allowed to limit popcap to 40 ?

Next update will be start of year 6, then I will probably make another update at the half of year 6 and then last update at year 7, with the stockpile. That will not take more than a day from now on, I believe.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2012, 11:55:53 pm »

I didn't have Therapist, so my popcap was 0 (two waves).  You can do as you will with the population, let's try to keep it reasonable but I feel this fort will suffer many deaths, so some buffer population may be needed.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2012, 04:25:58 am »

A more reasonable value may be 60 or so.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2012, 11:26:07 am »

I'm gonna put it at 40, so we reach 55-60 or so, and severely curb baby growth. After all we're here to build minecart systems, not lose the fort due to baby induced tantrum spiral.

Update coming in the following hours.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2012, 06:40:22 am »

Early Spring, Year 6, Kelnimar

Well, the minecart active denial system is nearly finished ! I estimate finishing it in two seasons.

Apart from building, the last half-year was quite uneventful. Just what I like for my project !

Some random goblin snatcher got off with a child. No tantrums followed, at least I didn't had any reports of it.

A bowyer went fey, and made an artifact bow. *sigh* You may kill him for being an elf sympathizer later, but he is useful for me for now as a woodcutter.

Some mechanic got crippled by a failed experiment. Oh well.

And here's how the minecart active denial system looks for now.

z-level 0

z-level +1

Slightly increased the size of the communal bedroom. Oh wait, there are dwarf skeletons and two ghosts in it ? Maybe I should make a graveyard...

A migrant wave increased the pop to 36, which is fine for me.

Next update will be the last, in one year or maybe less, when I will have finished and tested the active minecart denial system.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2012, 07:48:22 am »

...You have ONE engineer? How does that work?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13