Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to craft foreign weapons?  (Read 6905 times)

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to craft foreign weapons?
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:38:56 pm »

The wiki says dwarves can create foreign weapons when in strange mood, but all i get are normal weapons (and bows), is there any file i can edit to force it?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to craft foreign weapons?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 09:39:59 pm »

[WEAPON:FLAIL:COMMON]

There you go, add it to your raw for dwarven civs.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:44:07 pm »

Will this work on an already running save game? aren't the raws only read once during world generation?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:45:11 pm »

That's not an answer to the question he asked. Also, not the right item ID or syntax, but that's irrelevant. If he simply wanted to make a particular weapon not be foreign, he'd add [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_blah] to the entity. Also, it wouldn't work after world gen, as allowed items are only assigned to a civilization when the civilization begins.

Foreign weapons can show up in strange moods, but they do seem less likely. It's possible that moody dwarves only create items that they themselves could wield, so that would prevent all but the biggest dwarves from making most foreign weapons. You can't mod anything to force foreign weapons to be made, but you could save right when the mysterious construction begins, then, after the artifact is made, note the date it was finished, savescum back to the mysterious construction save, wait until just before that date, and save again, thus allowing you to reasonably quickly savescum the created artifact repeatedly until you got a desirable result from it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 09:46:05 pm »

Will this work on an already running save game? aren't the raws only read once during world generation?

It affetcs the civ, they "learn" how to make them during world-gen.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:48:03 pm »

Incidentally, if you did want to add all of the foreign weapons to be craftable by dwarves ready for a new world, even if that's not really a solution to your question, here's what you'd need to add to the dwarf civilization in the entity raw.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 09:49:18 pm »

Incidentally, if you did want to add all of the foreign weapons to be craftable by dwarves ready for a new world, even if that's not really a solution to your question, here's what you'd need to add to the dwarf civilization in the entity raw.

Thanks for clarifying my answer.

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:51:11 pm »

That's not an answer to the question he asked. Also, not the right item ID or syntax, but that's irrelevant. If he simply wanted to make a particular weapon not be foreign, he'd add [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_blah] to the entity. Also, it wouldn't work after world gen, as allowed items are only assigned to a civilization when the civilization begins.

Foreign weapons can show up in strange moods, but they do seem less likely. It's possible that moody dwarves only create items that they themselves could wield, so that would prevent all but the biggest dwarves from making most foreign weapons. You can't mod anything to force foreign weapons to be made, but you could save right when the mysterious construction begins, then, after the artifact is made, note the date it was finished, savescum back to the mysterious construction save, wait until just before that date, and save again, thus allowing you to reasonably quickly savescum the created artifact repeatedly until you got a desirable result from it.
I savescummed to test out 50 "loads" after still no foreign weapons, i gave up and let my dwarf make an artifact silver warhammer (yeah its pretty good, but i wanted a flail or maul), it seems the only foreign weapons dwarves ever make are Bows and Blowguns

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 09:53:38 pm »

Thanks for clarifying my answer.
That would be a solution... if this save game wasn't a 15 year old multiple fortress for adventurer mode exploring world, i can't leave all the work i had to make those dungeon fortresses behind... But thanks anyways guys.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:09:46 pm »

Its pretty fun to have masterwork steel whips.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 12:47:38 am »

Where exactly in the wiki does it say that dwarves can create foreign weapon artifacts?

I gotta say, this is one of the few cases where I disagree with NecroRebel.  I have never seen an artifact exotic melee weapon; I have never seen a screenshot of an artifact exotic melee weapon.  If they exist, they're special enough that somebody, somewhere, should have a screenshot.  Does anybody have a screenshot?  Unmodded game, of course.

And yes, bowyer moods use a different method to pick the item, one that permits exotic ranged weapons.  Check out Quietust's notes on the talk page on strange mood.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 01:10:55 am »

And yes, bowyer moods use a different method to pick the item, one that permits exotic ranged weapons.  Check out Quietust's notes on the talk page on strange mood.
Hm. I'm fairly certain that I've seen mooded foreign non-ranged weapons, but that may have been way back in 40d, and I may be misremembering. I typically defer to Quietust, and his code-diving has likely led him to be better-informed than I. His comments on the talk page there are somewhat inconclusive about whether foreign weapons are possible or not, but as he says he thinks that they're constrained to native weapons, I'm now inclined to believe that.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 01:59:20 am »

Where exactly in the wiki does it say that dwarves can create foreign weapon artifacts?

I gotta say, this is one of the few cases where I disagree with NecroRebel.  I have never seen an artifact exotic melee weapon; I have never seen a screenshot of an artifact exotic melee weapon.  If they exist, they're special enough that somebody, somewhere, should have a screenshot.  Does anybody have a screenshot?  Unmodded game, of course.

My current unmodded game has a copper great axe artefact

How to reproduce: find a dwarf that has an exotic weapon in it's personal preferences. Wait till he gets a fey weaponsmith mood. Get an exotic weapon artefact.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:15:55 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 10:36:22 am »

Well I suppose that's that then :)  Thanks for the screenies martinuzz.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 10:57:45 am »

My current unmodded game has a copper great axe artefact

How to reproduce: find a dwarf that has an exotic weapon in it's personal preferences. Wait till he gets a fey weaponsmith mood. Get an exotic weapon artefact.

oooh, so thats how you do it, too bad none of my dwarves have a favorite exotic weapon, thanks for the answer.
Pages: [1] 2