Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tactical MMO/Shooter?  (Read 1305 times)

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tactical MMO/Shooter?
« on: April 06, 2012, 03:41:41 am »

Would any of you guys happen to know about a tactical shooter, or even MMO (with those elements), that I can play while I wait for something better to pop out on the market? I find everything nowadays so... lackluster. The "adrenaline rush" that all the game companies strive for, never really applied to me. How can it? Instant respawn and run-and-gun have became the staple for games of all genres.

I grew up with SOCOM 1/2 and just completely fell in love with the series, that is, before they took a massive dump on the franchise with sequential releases. Rainbow 6 was another amazingly powerful memory of mine. I don't know what game I can play to occupy my free time with anymore.

I've tried ARMA 2 but I find it's intricate controls and mechanics a little too overwhelming; perhaps in time I'll pick it up again. I've been playing Tribes Ascend a lot lately, but that too, sometimes feel a bit too frantic and standard of run-of-the-mill shooter.

Do you guys have any suggestions for online games (that is, cooperatively and competitively against other players), that places emphasis on the more tactical components, as opposed to the person with the fastest, more impulsive reflexes winning everytime? It's not that twitch/reaction times aren't important, I just find them inherently boring compared to well thought out plans and executions.

Thanks.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tactical MMO/Shooter?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 03:51:13 am »

Battlefield 3 is a good one. Also, the Flashpoint series.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 04:28:53 am »

SWAT4 definately. It's kind of like a stricter Rainbow Six, cause you have to follow police procedure rather than just immediately shoot everyone carrying a gun. Plus it has randomly placed enemies and hostages, so every attempt is somewhat different.

Jafferey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:43:40 am »

Tremulous. Natural Selection (number 2 is in closed beta). Savage 2.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 12:16:37 pm »

I reccomend you try ArmA 2 again, its playable with an xbox controller which eliminates alot of the uneccesary controls, and also makes flying a breeze, plus in multiplYer you end up not using alot of stuff.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.