Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Unreal World LP - Fortress of the North  (Read 10058 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World LP - Fortress of the North
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2012, 04:00:00 pm »

The Diary of Bomrek - Bounty and Danger

After a few days of working on my Trap Fence I come back to find a very welcome surprise. An Elk Stag has fallen in one of my pit traps and been killed! Looks like my hard work is already paying off!

Stag!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Over 300 cuts of meat! Far more than I can carry at once. And much more than I can use before most of it goes bad if I don't smoke it. So that's obviously the next step.

I stick the meat in my cellar and prepare the hide. I'll need to cut it up for cords in order to smoke the meat. And, since I don't have a smoke house set up, I'll need to see about using one in a nearby village. I imagine that I can convince them to let me use some wall space in exchange for a few cuts of meat.

After a day of preparations, I begin on my first trip down the river. This will take several trips, since I can only carry so much at once. Fortunately, with my fine boat the trip is quick by river.

However, I get a rather unwelcome sight on my trip down.

Savage Neighbors

Savage humans have taken up residence on the Island right near my new home! I'll have to see about setting up some defenses soon. At least food shouldn't be a problem for a while.

After a few trips I have a nice stock of stag meat smoking in the nearby village, and I can start work on my defenses.

Smoking Stag Meat

Since the savages are to the East of me, I start work on fortifying the choke-point since that's the most likely area they'll try to come through.

Defenses Started

As I work on my defenses I still need to check my nets and trapline. The stag meat won't be done for a while, so fish is still needed, and if any animals fall into my traps I don't want the meat to spoil.

Speaking of which...

Reindeer tracks

It seems that Reindeer can move through trees. Good to know, I suppose.

My skills have been improving. Long way to go, though.

Skills

My Defenses are almost done. Well, for the choke-point at least.

Choke-point Defenses

My nets continue to bring in fish to keep me fed. More than I can eat before it goes bad, actually. Although the spoilage is minor. Just a few perches.

I spy some savages on the island while looking around. I don't like them so close, but at least they're sticking to the island for now.

Savages Sighted

My trapline continues to provide for me! Those wild sow tracks I spied earlier have show up in the flesh. Looks like Bacon is on the menu!

Wild Pig

Even more meat is now smoking on that wall. It's about time I started thinking of building my own smoke house.

Smoking Meats

And even more game is caught in my traps! The elusive Forest Reindeer and a Black Grouse that had been flying about will add to my collection of meat and skins.

More Game

Since I need a good tree-felling axe, and I have some more furs to trade, I decide to make up some more trade goods. Axes are pretty expensive.

Trade Goods

But...it's not enough. I'm going to have to make more stuff if I'm going to get an axe that's better than my carving axe for chopping down trees. That's a bit disheartening.

Axes are Expensive

On my way back from town, I spot a Reindeer in the woods. I really don't need more food, though, so I just leave it alone.

Reindeer Sighting

With all the time spent working on defenses and dealing with my recent catches the Stag meat finishes smoking. My food supplies are doing quite well, and when the pig and reindeer meat is ready I'll be in even better shape!

Better Food Stores

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 04:16:12 pm »

You're doing significantly well.  If I had any suggestions, it'd be to make a skin-processing center.  Build a series of walls 1 tile from the river, then floors between the river and the walls.  Add some benches/tables/etc.  Optionally enclose it and add a door.

The purpose of this is to get instant-access to water for hideworking, as well as a beating surface, shelter from rain, possibly a bed, etc.  This provides for some convenient hideworking, as you can just pick it up, step to the next tile, and perform the needed actions.  It'd also make a good place to bring your boat ashore, dock it inside immediately and handle the cargo.  Could also put this on another overmap tile, just to be sure that you don't hit the item overflow limit and lose valuable hides.  Also worth noting: You can paddle a boat onto a door, making a convenient boathouse, and apparently furs will lower in quality over time, as my fine hide dropped to normal quality.  I don't know if a cellar keeps hides higher quality longer.

If you find any foreign traders, you can trade your hides for metal items, and then metal items for Driik tools, because they're more valuable they make a good form of currency.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 05:02:27 pm »

Yeah, I've been working my hides on a tree trunk stuck next to the water. A dedicated processing station sounds like a good idea, although I think getting a smokehouse up first is probably more important.

Been looking for foreign traders but haven't found any yet. Really hoping some show up soon so I can trade my furs for a decent price.

Oh, and I tried the idea of cooking fish right over the cellar. Didn't work, you still have to pick it up to stop it from burning.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 05:06:01 pm »

Ah, wasn't sure how roasting would work...

Watch your trap pits.  Eventually they'll catch traders.  You can either harvest them there (hunting knife deals bleeding damage), or trade with them and eventually they escape on their own.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 01:46:55 am »

Though be careful trying to harvest if you only see one in the pit, I made that mistake having a huge trap fence near my house, killed the guy, grabbed his stuff, put in on the pile and went back to fishing, 3 crossbow bolts in the back.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 03:51:01 am »

My word, that is amazing! Be careful with those Njerpez, tho. They are scary, unless you have a bow.

Good job on food. I always roasted it, and becuase of that I had a few starvation moments. Now, tell me - do you need cords to smoke food, or does that only apply to drying?

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 08:46:02 am »

You need cords, best way is to do the meat in batches of 19, thats the max for 1 cord.

Good way to deal with the santas is to grab 4 or 5 guys and tell them you want to go hunting.  Although having them right there will probably make the LP more interesting.  Just make sure you stock up on dogs, its the dwarvern way.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2012, 01:19:23 pm »

Very good LP, enjoyed every bit of it. Also good inspiration when i`m out of ideas for my toon, keep up the good work
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]