Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: (LP) Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3 - Solifuge casts Reraise on Thread!  (Read 44962 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: (LP) Final Fantasy Hacktics 1.3 - Accepting characters!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 04:41:49 pm »

PTW

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 05:04:35 pm »

Name: Boo
Sex: Male
Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Wealthy or Low-born? Low-born
Scholar or Soldier? Scholar
Worldly or Spiritual? Spiritual
Hardened or Green? Green

Other Notes: EDIT: Now that I'm looking at the 1.3 version website, I think I want my character to eventually become a Mediator, if he survives.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:35:01 pm by Knirisk »
Also often called Boowells.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 06:33:36 pm »

Hmm... just started up the 1.3 Content version (no difficulty changes I don't think, just the balanced classes/items) and lost the first battle.

Good luck!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 06:36:57 pm »

Wait.. we post any character we would be in the LP or what?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 08:37:19 pm »

Questions and Answers:

Wait.. we post any character we would be in the LP or what?
The wonders of paying attention in class! Basically, you're deciding what characters are in my party. I'll handle plot characters (generally by booting them ASAP), but you can design and give Build Directions for your personal character, as specifically or generally as you want to; as new job options are unlocked, I'll put their skills and traits in the first post, as well as the general rules for character creation.

How are you making this ironman by the way? The game's already kind of ironman-flavored with the permadeath that's in it. Are you just not going to use resurrection magic and kick people out if they die during battle? Also, (for the behind-the-scene curiosity in me) I can see how three of the character choice things you're posing could reflect in-game characteristics, but does the wealthy/low-born option actually mean an in-game choice for us or is it flavor?
For the Ironman bit, there will be no savescumming. Phoenix Down and Resurrects are fair game if used in time to revive, but if we win a battle but lose 3 troops in the process, we won't be reloading. Also, all of their traits will be factoring into flavor, but "wealthy/lowborn" determines your equipment quality (priority is given to the wealthy), and influences how you approach classes, skills, and combat (fighting nobly vs. fighting dirty).

Barbarossa, if it were my LP you would end up as a summoner with talk skills who tried inviting everything in an attempt to catch em all.
Yeah, as soon as I saw his sheet I knew he'd be a beast-tamer. Also note: the mod adds in some encounters were you can gain the loyalty of animals being hunted by helping them, instead of just by using Orators.

Can I just say that zodiac chart sums up the Homestuck trolls without actually trying
You know, I realized that too. This might be the very chart used to write the Trolls.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 09:11:06 pm »

Very cool, I wasn't expecting quite that much interactivity. Definitely looking forward to it!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 09:13:39 pm »

I just have to ask what the Hardened/Green thing is for then? That seems to have been missed with the other decriptions.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 09:36:04 pm »

I was being intentionally vague, but it will influence their Bravery stat, much like Spiritual/Worldly influences their Faith stat. Like the other stuff, it will factor in to your skills/job choices, and will influence combat decisions, such as whether you take risks or do valorous/stupid things, etc. So it's a double-edged sword.

EDIT: First post is updated with skill lists for the two available jobs: Squire and Chemist. Rolling up characters now.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:44:54 pm by Solifuge »

PhantomSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 09:58:55 am »

Name: Fantomas
Sex: Male
Zodiac Sign:Gemini

Wealthy or Low-born? Low-born
Scholar or Soldier? Soldier
Worldly or Spiritual? Spiritual
Hardened or Green? Hardened

Notes: After an ignominious and poverty stricken childhood, Fantomas has grown into a Byronic young man with a new-found and insatiable lust and curiosity for life.

I'm ignorant of what what jobs would suit me and of the game system in general. Just put me where I'm needed.

Wait a minute...don't tell me it's too late to submit characters. (:_;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:40:22 am by PhantomSpaceMan »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 12:41:15 pm »

Well, always a good standard startup is stone, then rush, then focus; and then build up the rest from there on.

I'll start off that way at least.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 03:14:40 pm »

Lecture 1: The Meager
Section 1: On the origins of Ramza Beoulve and Delita Heirall
Spoiler: Dramatis Personae: (click to show/hide)

<===   ===>

There we are, I just needed to condense and reschedule a few of my later lectures. I trust none of you will mind if we postpone "The Battle at Orbonne Monestary" and the abduction of Princess Ovelia? Golbez, put your hand down.

Excellent.

I've got most of your Summaries here, but if there are any I missed feel free to continue submitting them as we go. The figures you've described trained under the Order of the Northern Sky, studying alongside the famous Delita Heiral and Ramza Beoulve during their time at the Royal Academy of Gariland. In those days, the Kingdom of Ivalice was still recovering from their losses during the 50 Years War... which we'll discuss a bit later. For now, know that many of the knights and conscripts returning from the front were never paid the lands and incomes promised by the Crown... and great civil unrest was the result. Those made destitute by the war, commoner and small lord alike, often turned to thievery, or plotted outright treason against the Crown which they had grown to resent. Murder and theft were commonplace in cities throughout the kingdom. Not even the City of Gariland, with its Knight's academy and the strong presence of the Order of the Northern Sky, was a stranger to such things.

Now, with this backdrop in mind, I'd like to share a few excerpts from a film called "The Zodiac Brave Story". It's based on the writings of various scholars of the period, such as myself, and deals with the events surrounding the War of Lions. Though it is a little over 10 years old, and not entirely accurate, it does a good job of putting the complex conflicts of the era into perspective:

(Animatic: Click to Play)

When we compare this with the following excerpt penned by Robyn the Blue, a classmate and friend of young Ramza Beoulve, we see that the film wasn't far from the truth:

As this is in part a Military History course, we will be taking time to detail many of the major and minor conflicts throughout The War of Lions, as best as our records can reconstruct them. Among the surviving notes of Robyn the Blue, we find a detailed account of the defense of Gariland, also known as "the Gariland Incident". It was a skirmish fought between several students of the Academy, and members of The Corpse Brigade- a band of seditious former soldiers grown dissatisfied with the Crown.

According to Robyn's surviving notes, the boy was accompanied by Ramza, Delita, Furte, and an unfortunate squire named Solee, whose name only appears in these notes. They reached the canal district of the city, where they encountered members of the Corpse Brigade, led by a squire-turned-rogue named Baderon, and including two other unnamed squires, and a chemist. Robyn's account of their meeting begins as follows:

(Animatic: Click to Play)

Also included in Robyn's account, scholars found notes detailing the events of the battle, and an incomplete Ballad. These were discovered among old inventory records in the Gariland Academy archives, implying that Robyn left the notes behind when he departed Gariland with Ramza, and they were somehow misplaced. A stroke of luck for history, but it's a shame the ballad was never finished. Perhaps some of you would like to try your hand at finishing it for some extra credit?

There is also an unabridged summary of the battle located in your textbook, and a smaller version available in the appendix, though it is somewhat harder to follow.

At any rate, despite the death of the student Solee, the defense of Gariland would eventually become the unofficial graduation of Ramza's class from the Academy. Though they were not officially inducted into the Knightly Order of the Northern Sky, they were considered skilled enough to be entrusted with the defense of the realm... which we will get to soon enough.

I think this is a good point to call a short break. Get up and stretch for a bit, or use the restroom if you must. We'll continue at the top of the hour!

Holy crap, that took longer to do than I would ever like to admit. I might save some time by making AVI videos of battles rather than doing writeups and sifting through 500 screenshots to make gigantic GIFs and such in the future. Also, the battle was long, and I tried to detail most of the big events, and gloss over the repetitive stuff. Was it still too long, or was this a readable length? Either way, now that a format is set up, it hopefully won't take this long to put these things together for future updates.

Anyway, here's the current party makeup; feel free to go over your characters stats. I took the liberty of buying a few starting skills, but if you'd like to spend your saved-up job points, let me know. Skill descriptions are located in the OP, along with the details of available jobs.

Party Roster:
Spoiler: Ramza (Solifuge): (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Robyn (Bluerobin): (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Furte (Furtuka): (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ochita (Ochita): (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Xander (ExKirby): (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Krieg (warhammer651): (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPC Roster: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:42:11 am by Solifuge »

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 03:35:08 pm »

I rather liked the update, but I highly recommend going for screen shots over .gifs 
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 03:36:05 pm »

I'm waiting for further classes to be available before joining.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 03:40:47 pm »

I rather liked the update, but I highly recommend going for screen shots over .gifs

There were 500 screen shots man. 500! From one battle! That is a metric assload of screenshots!

But seriously, I kinda like using GIFS for cutscenes, and screenshots for the battles themselves. I prefer it to stills, but I'm willing to compromise if folks didn't care for the Animatics.

EDIT: Borked that by a factor of ten. Still, 500 is a lot of screenies!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:44:05 pm by Solifuge »

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 03:44:50 pm »

GIFs are a pain when they get too long, though...
Otherwise, cool update.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11