Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shoruke's D&D 3.5 character generator open Alpha v0.6  (Read 6072 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Shoruke's D&D 3.5 character generator open Alpha v0.6
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:16:26 am »

Well everyone, it's the end of another semester of school, and all of the class projects are due soon.
Naturally, this includes the character generator for Dungeons And Dragons v3.5 that I'm writing. By myself. In notepad++.

It's still in development as of writing, but I thought I'd share it with you guys as I write it.
Since I'm not hosting it on a server, you'll have to copy the code into notepad (or whatever text editor you like), save it as FileName.html somewhere on your computer, open your internet browser, and use Open File to open the webpage. Or, for the lazy, use ctrl+o to open the webpage.

P.S.
People who tell me about bugs are nice people. HTML and Javascript don't have compilers or run-time errors, so things that break just kinda... quietly do nothing.

Current Progress:
You can point-buy, or roll your character's attributes.
After that, it'll ask you about your race and some cosmetic things... attribute adjustments, hair colour, age, etc. It also has a bunch of text boxes so you can add a bunch of other things to your Feats and Special Abilities section, like for instance the Dwarves' Stonecunning.
After that, it wants you to start defining the classes you'll be taking levels in... sounds strange, BUT might just end up being extremely streamlined some day.
There's also currently a button that hangs out at the bottom of the webpage, and the world's most uselessly large textbox. Click the button, and it turns your character sheet into xml (in the textbox). So, you copy/paste that, go to your Mythweavers Sheets page, hit upload, and BOOM! You now have a rather poor sheet. BUT SO HELP ME GOD IT WILL UPLOAD

Version 0.6 Alpha
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:35:46 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Shoruke's D&D 3.5 character generator open Alpha v0.1
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:31:41 am »

I'll try it out when I get home.

This project sounds like it'd be a fun thing to do if it weren't in HTML :P Good luck!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 11:19:04 am »

This project sounds like it'd be a fun thing to do if it weren't in HTML :P Good luck!
Well, it wouldn't be "web programming" if I made a standalone application in C#... which come to think of it would be a lot easier.

At least I'll be able to host this on a server some day, if I ever decide it's worth the trouble.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 11:22:08 am »

Does programming in Java and putting it into a web applet count? xD

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 12:29:59 pm »

I hit the 1,000 line landmark!
Apparently this causes posts to exceed the 40,000 character limit.  :P
So now I'm using FileFactory, which is kinda lame. Here's the download link: http://www.filefactory.com/file/3cbiwk3u44nl/n/CharGenerator_html
If anyone knows of a free file-hosting service that doesn't suck, or need captchas, or "wait 30 seconds for your 43kb download", and definitely doesn't ask me for my credit card information to host a file, by all means let me know...

Scratch that, DropBox to the rescue:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14534181/CharGenerator.html

The button at the end of the Racial Stuff section doesn't do anything yet.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:32:40 pm by shoruke »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »

Looks good so far.

I'll reserve comments until it's all done :3

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Shoruke's D&D 3.5 character generator open Alpha v0.2
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 01:34:37 pm »

Tried it. Seems all well and in order, from my almost-none experience in coding.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shoruke's D&D 3.5 character generator open Alpha v0.2
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 02:09:48 pm »

Oh by the GODS dealing with skills is SO ANNOYING
There's so many  :'(

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shoruke's D&D 3.5 character generator open Alpha v0.3
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 02:43:22 pm »

I think that maybe I've picked a weird way to build character sheets.
OH WELL
ROLL WITH IT
Version 0.3 is out

Basically, you pick your classes, define them... and THEN when you're done telling it what classes you're going to take, you start actually taking them. One at a time.
Whew. This is gonna be a long haul... 1,604 lines of code and counting.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:45:09 pm by shoruke »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 03:07:09 pm »

I think I'll try this out later, but I somehow think this should be under Creative Projects. This is definitely not a forum game or roleplaying.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 03:20:00 pm »

Hmm, I thought it would go here because it's used for Roleplaying games... hadn't occurred to me to put it in Creative Projects  :-\

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 04:09:23 pm »

I made it output some XML, and then I made uploaded a sheet to Mythweavers! It knows my stats and stuff!
 :D
Now I just need to make it upload a sheet that isn't crap...
And also one that doesn't confuse "modify stat by X" with "append X onto stat". It thought I had 122 dex, when I tried to specify that I had 12 dex after point buy and a +2 racial modifier...

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 04:16:13 pm »

I'd love to see it mess up with the Petal racial modifiers. 18 Base + 10 Modifier = 1810 Dex. 8)

Best rogue ever. Sneak attack everything, and hide in plain sight. That would be a +916 modifier to hide if you account for the size. :P

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shoruke's D&D 3.5 character generator open Alpha v0.5
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 04:27:21 pm »

Okay, I fixed that bug... just had to run parseInt() a bunch of times.

EDIT: I also got rid of the list of in-class skills for every class... If this project ever ends up being a big thing, something similar might happen one day, but for now, I'm getting rid of it so that when I look in the mirror I don't see a puppy-kicker. That was just too much text to dump onto myself all at once.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:35:14 pm by shoruke »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shoruke's D&D 3.5 character generator open Alpha v0.6
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 05:24:38 pm »

I ran though to the end of character creation and it didn't show the button.

Just read through your code. For whatever reason the Export to XML button is missing. Isn't that button code suppose to be with the section above it?

Pages: [1] 2