Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cloaked Necromancer on the map somewhere  (Read 4254 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Cloaked Necromancer on the map somewhere
« on: April 06, 2012, 07:12:39 pm »

So I'm unwilling to keep fighting a cyclic fight agaisnt constantly respawning undead. Atom-smash me. But the dealio here is that some necromancher SCHMUCK is causing all of this. He's not only a huge pain in the ass, he's a invisible pain in the ass.

I downloaded dfhack to see if any of the tools there could help me. Cursecheck listed necromancers currently on the map, reveal shows magmacrabs 100 levels from where I am, but NO books and NO necromancer show up in the unit list.

Is there any way to turn this around or is this siege going to be the end of Entermetal?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cloaked Necromancer on the map somewhere
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:15:30 pm »

Set fire to the grass.  It'll spread and burn.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:16:16 pm »

Light a fire on the surface. It'll damage them and make them show up.

Mind you, you'll then have to fight zombies on fire, but hey. You'll get rid of the necromancers!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 07:21:05 pm »

Flood the surface with water, or magma. Release the animals. Not always in that order.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 07:27:21 pm »

You can get some idea of where the necromancer is by seeing where the undead are rising; it'll be within ~15 tiles of that area. So, build walls around this area so the number of approaches are limited, then send squads in from both the inside and outside of this enclosure simultaneously so he's got nowhere to run. If you're lucky, you'll catch him.

Alternatively, station soldiers in a circle around the corpse pile, get rid of all the corpses, and once all of them are gone just forget about him for a while. He'll come into your fort looking for bodies and lurk around unseen for a while, but eventually (usually after a month or two) he'll get spotted and you can go murderdeathkill him.

As long as you have some means to quickly destroy corpses, necromancers are more nuisances than actual threats. You've just got to keep them away from the bodies until they can be annihilated, and since they flee from all living things that's reasonably easy with 6 or more soldiers who can form a perimeter.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 07:39:07 pm »

He will probably go for your fortress entrance, just welcome him with a few traps.

If he has nothing more to reanimate he is often no threat, unless he was a hunter or warrior before.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 07:40:39 pm »

A little more realistically than flooding everything: This happened in Spearbreakers, during Draignean's turn (which is still going... >.>). The necromancer will go away after a while. We never actually saw it - it raised a few things and disappeared. It comes from the necromancer "sneaking" like it's going to ambush something - which clashes with necromancer "hang back" strategy and makes it stay where it is, "cloaked". It'll stay there - it won't approach your fortress- but after a while it'll go away. Just don't get close to the zombies.

Unless, of course, you'd rather kill it. But be cautious.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 08:03:07 pm »

You can get some idea of where the necromancer is by seeing where the undead are rising; it'll be within ~15 tiles of that area. So, build walls around this area so the number of approaches are limited, then send squads in from both the inside and outside of this enclosure simultaneously so he's got nowhere to run. If you're lucky, you'll catch him.

Can anyone confirm this?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 08:08:14 pm »

Can anyone confirm this?

Hes right.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 08:10:37 pm »

Can anyone confirm this?

Hes right.
Confirmed. Did this myself with the save.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 09:11:04 pm »

As far as I can tell, the hiding necromancer actually runs away when he spots your dwarves, and turns around a few seconds later when he feels safer. This leads to him staying outside detection range (3 tiles) while staying within the range of his animation ability. I don't know what happens if a hunter necromancer comes to your fort.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 09:38:39 pm »

This is insane. I just can't find them. DFhack claims there are 3 necromacners on the map. We are searching the entire map all the time, 5 squads constantly being new station orders. At this rate I will just give up.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 09:49:19 pm »

It's practically impossible to find necromancers on an open field for the reasons Urist Da Vinci mentioned: they'll actively flee from your people and stay out of range of all but really, really good observers. Unless you can corner them, you won't find them.

Just rid yourself of corpses, keep your fort proper clear of any bodies as much as possible (defend burrow orders work well for this), and they'll eventually either leave or get caught between two dwarves moving opposite directions down a hallway and discovered. Only real way of detecting them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 09:51:11 pm »

burn em out!

play some CCR while you're at it

Aeash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 10:49:05 pm »