Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombie dragon (size?)  (Read 2281 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Zombie dragon (size?)
« on: April 07, 2012, 05:07:20 am »

I've gen'ed a small custom world for 1050 years and when viewing legends I noticed that one of the living (well, you know what I mean) megabeasts is a zombie dragon "animated by forces unknown". I wasn't sure if it had started life as a normal dragon and had then been zombified somewhere in the 1050 year history or if it just started as a zombie. Reading legends mode can be taxing at the best of times so I just regen'ed the world and stopped it at 2 years. The dragon is a zombie from the start. Dragons take a long time to grow so would a zombie dragon from year dot be stuck at a relatively small size? Does anyone know for sure?

I suppose I could start an adventurer and kill the zombie dragon at year 1050 and then the normal dragon and compare their weights in my backpack, for science.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie dragon (size?)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 05:37:26 am »

Go on, then. For Science!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 06:00:23 am »

Is there a way to check a size of living creatures? I think you could do it with runesmith but that's currently not updated.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 08:02:15 am »

What causes zombie megabeasts to appear?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 09:15:37 pm »

What causes zombie megabeasts to appear?

It (presuambly) means that they started out in Evil biomes.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 01:44:23 am »

Zombies have NO_AGING, which means they don't grow up.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 05:39:54 am »

Science setback. I've been hacking at the zombie dragon with a steel battle axe for ages to no effect.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 06:11:20 am »

Science setback. I've been hacking at the zombie dragon with a steel battle axe for ages to no effect.
Decapitate or bisect him. Zombies don't bleed, they don't need to think and they sure as hell don't need nerves.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 06:20:46 am »

Good advice. I concentrated solely on his head for a time and he eventually collapsed. Tomorrow I'll seek out the living dragon and compare weights.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 09:02:22 am »

Ah but zombie collapsing is inherent only to zombies, and in my own experience it is far easier to collapse a zombie then kill a living counterpart.

Judging from how long it took to get it to collapse however, and your apparent inability to sever it's head, I'm leaning toward it being adult size.  But I'm not 100% sure by any means, so continue the science!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 07:38:50 am »

Ok, the results are quite surprising.

I collapsed the worldgen zombie dragon (henceforth referred to as zomgon) first and he weighed in at a hefty 27805 uristgrams. No body parts missing. Described as "gigantic with incredible muscles".

I then struck down the living dragon without separating any body parts. He was described in life as "gigantic". He weighed in at the comparatively puny weight of 8002 uristgrams in my backpack. That's roughly 3 and a half times less than the zomgon. Remember that this is the guy who was alive from creation to exactly the 12th of Galena, 1050.

What does this mean? I don't know, but it gets better.

I then raised the dragon (read a slab while dragon hunting, naturally) into a zombie described as "gigantic with incredible muscles". Zombification evidently changes muscle build. I then hacked him to collapse and stuffed him in my backpack again. The new weight is 28770 uristgrams, higher than the zomgon but only by a negligible amount.

This raises questions and I have some theories but I'm going to bed.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 01:40:55 pm »

Zombification does a lot to musculature, and musculature does a lot for weight, I guess.

To answer a previous question, dragons (or any megabeasts) that are spawned at year 1 start out at full size. It's only if dragons mate during worldgen that you see smaller dragons (often a lot smaller). Otherwise, forts and adventurers that embark in the early years would only find dragon & roc hatchlings.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 03:12:17 pm »

I then struck down the living dragon without separating any body parts. He was described in life as "gigantic". He weighed in at the comparatively puny weight of 8002 uristgrams in my backpack. That's roughly 3 and a half times less than the zomgon. Remember that this is the guy who was alive from creation to exactly the 12th of Galena, 1050.

What does this mean? I don't know, but it gets better.

I then raised the dragon (read a slab while dragon hunting, naturally) into a zombie described as "gigantic with incredible muscles". Zombification evidently changes muscle build. I then hacked him to collapse and stuffed him in my backpack again. The new weight is 28770 uristgrams, higher than the zomgon but only by a negligible amount.

This raises questions and I have some theories but I'm going to bed.

Basically if you're a zombie you're strong and very very fat.