Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: HellFire-The Masterwork succesion fort! 34.05 Be glad its not evil.  (Read 33081 times)

Phones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HellFire-The Masterwork succesion fort! 34.05 Be glad its not evil.
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2012, 04:05:40 pm »

Welp, just head on over to the next overseer. Somehow over the course of the night the file seemed to vanish, and this was prior to me compiling it. Long story short EVERYTHING I did is now gone, I might try and take another turn later but for right now I've just lost motivation.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2012, 05:18:48 pm »

Yep, sorry guys, I did somehow itentionally kill everyone. And yes, the first year was good, with the irrigation, although I did not even know what a 17*17 city grid that people use is... I build every fortress differently, to suit the map. Or the roleplaypart of it. ;)

@phones: Sad to hear that you lost... what ? the save and all screens/txts ? how ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Phones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2012, 06:18:54 pm »

Save is completely gone, no clue how. Writeup I just deleted in kind of sadness/being upset. I still have all the pictures though if you guys wanted to see what I did.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HellFire-The Masterwork succesion fort! 34.05-Overseers needed!-
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2012, 08:48:57 pm »

In other words, I succeed in making this hell for you guys.

It was definitely not an easy embark, but I think Ahrimahn was the one who doomed the fort. Suiciding our entire military because he thought they could take on tigermen was obviously not helpful and I don't think he did any significant earth moving or keep building like he could have while it was still easy prior to the constant sieges. during I've played with both glacial forts and fortress defense, so I knew what to expect. I think our other overseers were taken off guard.

Save is completely gone, no clue how.
Sorry guys, I don't know why but the save file is bringing my computer to it's knees ???
I don't know what exactly is causing it but it's making my entire computer run slowly if I open it, not just DF. I won't be able to finish my turn  :-[
when I was playing I lost about 4 months because of crashes while using the front end
the last four chapter I had to play twice, I did have a crash

I think Masterwork is a buggy mod. Every single overseer has had problems with it. I'm certainly never going to use it again.

I did not even know what a 17*17 city grid that people use is

The effect of the 17x17x3-wide halllway grid is to size your fortress to match the game interface, so that your arrow keys and your shift-arrow keys all precisely line up with the grid dimensions whether you're in full screen of windows mode.

If you hold down shift when you press the arrow keys the cursor will move ten spaces instead of one. If you do that twice you'll move 20 spaces. This creates a natural grid of 17x17 square blocks separated by 3-wide corridors. Here's a close-up view of a single city block viewed in windowed mode:

While in build mode, those grid marks on the left are 4 shift-arrow key presses away from the grid marks on the right.

And here's a 3x3 grid of 17x17 city blocks viewed in fullscreen mode:

In fullscreen like this you get a screen centered view of the middle of 9 city blocks. In windowed mode, like above, you get a screen-centered view of one city block.  2 arrow keys, or 1 shift-arrow key will move you from centered on one city block to centered on the adjacent block. And...that remains true whether you play in windowed or fullscreen mode.

17x17 with 3-wide hallways is the necessary dimensions to make your fortress match the game interface. 17x17 is plenty enough room to conveniently group any kind of room/workshop/industry/stockpile layout you want. Once you're used to it you'll quickly identify certain block layouts that are fast and efficient. For example, in this screenshot from my reign, on the middle right you'll see a standard bedroom layout that precisely fits 28 bedrooms in one 17x17 block, with a corridor through the middle. By working with the grid, you always know what the available space for anything will be within a single city block, so it's very easy to use standard block layouts in fortress after fortress. And since the blocks are all the same dimensions, you can easily designate the grid early on and decide later where you actually want houses, workshops, farms, etc. You simply carve out the grid and then build individual city blocks as you go.

It's a very convenient design.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HellFire-The Masterwork succesion fort! 34.05-Overseers needed!-
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2012, 11:01:58 pm »

I think Masterwork is a buggy mod. Every single overseer has had problems with it. I'm certainly never going to use it again.

In defense of Meph, Dwarf Fortress is a buggy game, however in the newest release it seems like there are a few new bugs that pop up in situations that you don't run into in 'vanilla' dwarf fortress.

As an example, True Type fonts. Off by default in vanilla, on by default in MANY mods. There are MANY MANY crash bugs related just to true type fonts. Turn them off and your game won't crash nearly as much... but it won't be as pretty.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2012, 02:34:14 pm »

am i still alive? if so, what are my stats?

Everyone before Meph's turn is dead.
fug.
whos alive?
also, i shall not play this because i can have my pots. unless i can throw them at vampires :D
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2012, 08:07:50 pm »

@lordbucket: Thanks for the grid explenation. I usually build more vertical, since 1 stair is just one step, same as one step horizontal, making such a big city grid way inefficient, since the walking distances are rather long.

And how many masterwork community fortresses are there ? I dont really know how everyone has problems, because it most certainly does not simply delete save files, this kind of modding is far beyond me, I assure you ;) With over 5000 combinations and now 3 sets of raws for the different tilesets I also cant test everything, I test phoebus + default settings. Sorry if people seem to have crashes, but some of them are truetype dependant, other from my mod. Hard to figure out which are which.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2012, 08:58:50 pm »

@lordbucket: Thanks for the grid explenation. I usually build more vertical, since 1 stair is just one step

Certainly. At one time it was a common design, but I it might have fallen out of popularity for some reason.

As for vertical builds, city grids are actually very helpful there too because the grids sit on top of each other symmetrically in each z-level. Looking at the previous screenshots, if you scroll vertically through the z-levels in that fortress you'll see more levels all built with identical grid layouts. Lots of people use central stairways that run the entire vertical length of their fortress. With a grid you can put those long stairways in uniform places in every city block if you want, knowing that those stairs will always line up above and below exactly the same place in the grid.

Sorry if people seem to have crashes, but some of them are truetype dependant,
other from my mod. Hard to figure out which are which.

I don't know. For me personally it seems that it was the front end that created problems. If I played with the front end running, I would get crashes. If I started up DF from the DF executable without the masterwork front end, I had no problems.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2012, 09:21:10 pm »

I don't know. For me personally it seems that it was the front end that created problems. If I played with the front end running, I would get crashes. If I started up DF from the DF executable without the masterwork front end, I had no problems.

Interesting. It does run the file from batch... but it is a carbon copy of the code from the lazy newb pack that does this. Shouldnt cause any problems. But I always run the .exe at testing... thanks for the suggestion.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]