This pack is designed to use with Apple Macs
(compatible with Macs that have 64-bit 10.6/10.7/10.8 onboard). It's very simple to use - just run the app, and you will understand everything, cause there are FOUR BIG BUTTONS WITH LABELS
. If you don't, or want to add graphics/utilities, there is a read me file.
MacNewbie is Mac alternative
to infamous LNP, which is Windows-only. MacNewbie allows you to operate init settings and colors, easily install graphic packs and run some utilities. It's designed for those who aren't good
at DF now or changing init settings
every sunny day. If you like setup-and-forget method, I'll recommend you a wonderful Dwarf Builder from plaidman
If something don't work, feel free to write me about it
, especially Snow Leo
users as my only testers (I don't own a Snow Leo machine now). If there are problems in graphics or utilities
(except DFHack launcher app for Mac made by me) - write about issues to its authors. As for license, you can share it freely and even disassemble or modify, just mention my name; if you want to modify it and share it as your own app, Chuck Norris will punch you. I wish you good luck and stable work.
Your download is my happiness.
• Three graphic packs: Ironhand
• Four utilities: DwarfTherapist
- tool to manage
your dwarves DFDesignator
- tool to designate
complicated constructions SoundSense
- tool to add a little bit of crunchy sounds
while you defending the fortress DFHack
- tool for hacking
(you don't say?)
• Keybinding to easier use with Apple Wireless & MacBook Keyboards
(i.e. Shift+"-" is replaced by "-")
• Cocoa app to easier work
with your DF (with init and color editors)
• Readme file with some interesting info
• version 0.6 - Cyan for 0.34.10 - May 22, 2012
- Slight redesign
- 0.34.10 support
• version 0.5 - Yellow for 0.34.07 - May 9, 2012
- Added much more init settings
- Added PDF manual
- Added graphics/utilities installer
- Added link to the MacNewbie folder
• version 0.4 - Green for 0.34.07 - April 26, 2012
- Added DFHack
- Added color editor
- Added autosave setting to init editor
- Improved Launchpad deletion utility
- Moved temp files folder
- Fixed bug with auto-updating raws
- Fixed bug with init settings update
- Fixed Snow Leopard compatibility issue
• version 0.3 - Red for 0.34.07 - April 16, 2012
- Added more init settings
- Added autoupdate
- Now in DMG
- Minor improvements
• version 0.2 - Blue for 0.34.07 - April 14, 2012
- Added GUI
- Added auto-update raws
- Added user-friendly init editor
- Fixed: graphics pack name validation lack
- Fixed: last line in list.txt must be empty
• version 0.1a - Colorless for 0.34.07 - April 9, 2012
- Very first version.
Q:: When the new MN will be avaliable?
A: When all the utils will be released and my laziness will be gone.
Q: Smth don't work!!!!1111oneoneeleven
A: Just post me your tech specs and crashlog, maybe I'll help you.
Q: DFHack don't work/works bad.
A: DFHack runs through Wine, so there may be bugs. I am using the official version of DFHack in this pack. Also, if it launches not in Wine or don't launches, associate the exe files with Wine via Ctrl+Click>Get Info>Name & Extension>choose Wine.app and click Change All.
Q: MacNewbie looks ugly with MBP Retina.
A: Apple Menu > MacNewbie > Open MacNewbie Folder > Proceed to Dwarf Fortress/data/init > open init.txt > change TRUETYPE and PRINT_MODE tags to NO and STANDARD respectively.
Q: It doesn't work with MoLi.
A: MacNewbie works on retail MoLi with XQuartz 2.7.2 installed. There may be bugs, cause it's compiled under Lion now.