Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: [0.34.10/11][v0.6.(5) Cyan] MacNewbie Pack - for Mac beginners (see the FAQ!)  (Read 181603 times)

iXen

• Bay Watcher
  • retired.
    • View Profile

[0.6 Cyan][0.34.11]
:D

This pack is designed to use with Apple Macs (compatible with Macs that have 64-bit 10.6/10.7/10.8 onboard). It's very simple to use - just run the app, and you will understand everything, cause there are FOUR BIG BUTTONS WITH LABELS. If you don't, or want to add graphics/utilities, there is a read me file.

MacNewbie is Mac alternative to infamous LNP, which is Windows-only. MacNewbie allows you to operate init settings and colors, easily install graphic packs and run some utilities. It's designed for those who aren't good at DF now or changing init settings every sunny day. If you like setup-and-forget method, I'll recommend you a wonderful Dwarf Builder from plaidman.

If something don't work, feel free to write me about it, especially Snow Leo users as my only testers (I don't own a Snow Leo machine now). If there are problems in graphics or utilities (except DFHack launcher app for Mac made by me) - write about issues to its authors. As for license, you can share it freely and even disassemble or modify, just mention my name; if you want to modify it and share it as your own app, Chuck Norris will punch you. I wish you good luck and stable work.

Your download is my happiness. :)

Contents:
• Three graphic packs:
   Ironhand
   Mayday
   Phoebus

• Four utilities:
   DwarfTherapist - tool to manage your dwarves
   DFDesignator - tool to designate complicated constructions
   SoundSense - tool to add a little bit of crunchy sounds while you defending the fortress
   DFHack - tool for hacking (you don't say?)

• Keybinding to easier use with Apple Wireless & MacBook Keyboards (i.e. Shift+"-" is replaced by "-")
• Cocoa app to easier work with your DF (with init and color editors)
• Readme file with some interesting info

Screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Changelog:
FAQ:

Current: 0.6
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:32:00 am by iXen »
Creator of MacNewbie pack – if you have a Mac and you're not a pro, you should must download it!

plaidman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.07] MacNewbie Pack - DF beginner pack for Mac Users
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 02:22:25 pm »

This is a good start. I like what you did with the formatted terminal output to make it look like a proper menu, but for the next versions you should extend that to the 'edit init files' and 'pick a graphics pack' menus. Something else to look out for is the lack of validation on input. If you type nothing on the graphics pack menu, it'll look for the directory "./MacNewbie Contents/Graphics/" which exists, then try (and fail) to copy "./MacNewbie Contents/Graphics//data" and "./MacNewbie Contents/Graphics//raw". One last suggestion is to look into creating a .app from the scripts. by default a shell script run within a .app won't open a terminal window, so you might have to modify your script to open a terminal window then execute the commands.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

mcshmeggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.07] MacNewbie Pack - DF beginner pack for Mac Users
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 02:24:57 pm »

about to download this.

op, you are the man.

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:FOOLISH]
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.07] MacNewbie Pack - DF beginner pack for Mac users
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:24:31 am »

So glad someone has finally done this! Keep up the good work. Really wish this had existed back when I was a total and complete newb! (Not that it won't still be useful, just that it would have been even more useful then).

plaidman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.07] MacNewbie Pack - DF beginner pack for Mac users
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:47:58 am »

OP you should also check out http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/internal.html for using read -n1 with arrow keys. Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:58:59 pm by plaidman »

iXen

• Bay Watcher
  • retired.
    • View Profile
Version 0.2
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 03:53:32 pm »

Just updated to 0.2. Now it has the GUI, written in Obj-C!
Starting with this moment, the MacNewbie will have the codename. It will be colors.
Who can predict the next codename - is the good man!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:54:23 pm by iXen »
Creator of MacNewbie pack – if you have a Mac and you're not a pro, you should must download it!

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.07 - v0.2 Blue] MacNewbie Pack - DF beginner pack for Mac users
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 07:17:20 pm »

This is awesome. Finally some love for us MAC people :)

iXen

• Bay Watcher
  • retired.
    • View Profile
Version 0.3
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 11:29:15 am »

Yes, this is a 0.3 version. Cause Blue was a bit buggy and featured too few init options, the Red version is out. Now it ships in dmg package (packed in zip) and features auto-update, guys.

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:FOOLISH]
    • View Profile

That auto-update is a sweet feature. I will definitely be using this to turn some people on to DF.

iXen

• Bay Watcher
  • retired.
    • View Profile
'Bout updates
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 03:52:49 pm »

Thanks Guys!
There'll be no updates till next Saturday - work week, you know.
If you've discovered a bug or want new features - feel free to tell me about it!

Derilium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.07][v0.3 Red][Auto-Update] MacNewbie Pack - for Mac beginners
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 11:03:09 pm »

Possible Bug:
I'm running 10.6.8, and when I try to open the application, it keeps crashing. I'm not sure why. Please fix.
Thanks

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 07:02:26 am »

Any chance of getting DFHack on this mac-pack?

Furthermore, perhaps there is some idea on having a 'pluging-based' app which would install certain stand-alone plugins.. on each click of a button :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:12:39 am by HraTaika »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 07:41:37 am »

So, this is basically LNP for the Mac? That's good. Be sure to add DFHack in the next coming releases, cause there's a ton of stuff that needs DFHacking, like spattered liquids being tracked everywhere.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

iXen

• Bay Watcher
  • retired.
    • View Profile
DFHack upcoming
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 02:05:47 pm »

So, this is basically LNP for the Mac? That's good. Be sure to add DFHack in the next coming releases, cause there's a ton of stuff that needs DFHacking, like spattered liquids being tracked everywhere.
I am already working on it. Cause there are only Windows and Linux distributions, this needs either Wine or source editing/compiling. I am not a pro in last thing, so I tried Wine, and it worked well, but there is one problem - package with DFHack exceeds the 100 MB limit at DFFD. But, I'll try to write a script that installs DFHack from internet and packages and it'll be included in 0.4 which will came out at Thursday.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:52:36 am by iXen »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7