Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Modest Proposal (exploit/Toady oversight)  (Read 6054 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
A Modest Proposal (exploit/Toady oversight)
« on: April 07, 2012, 03:01:38 pm »

Release notes for 0.34.07 (March 30, 2012):

Major bug fixes
   (*) Slab to missing allowed, once missing status has been announced (unless from reclaim, then you can always do it)

I built a drawbridge in atom-smasher configuration and linked it to a lever in the meeting hall. I then gave the order to deconstruct a wall so that a child ran out under the smasher. Pull the lever! Since there was no body to be found, the child remained at "missing". After a week, I got the announcement "Uvash Ritholobok, Dwarven Child has been missing for a week". I had a slab engraved and installed for the child, before any ghosts could appear.

The point? Throughout the whole process, I was monitoring the thoughts of the child's friends and family. Nobody noticed that anything was wrong. IMO this is a bug, but it could be used to rid the fort of any undesirables without causing bad thoughts in the remaining dwarves. Don't like dwarves with cheesemaking skill or red hair? Erase them! The only cost is a slab and some floor space.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: A Modest Proposal (exploit/Toady oversight)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 03:05:19 pm »

I may have a method to start a solitary fort now!  All attempts previously resulted in tantrum of the survivor.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 04:09:37 pm »

Props for the title.

I hadn't known this little tidbit of information, but now I'm sure to put it to good use. Question: if I were to, hypothetically, throw all of the children down a volcano at once would any who survived a fraction longer than the others be able to report them as deceased from the depths of the earth, or would they all perish at once and list as missing?
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 04:15:07 pm »

If they all hit SMR at the same depth, then no.  Creatures fall at exactly 6 ticks per level, so as long as they all hit the same level they should all die simultaneously.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 04:18:04 pm »

Props for the title.

I hadn't known this little tidbit of information, but now I'm sure to put it to good use. Question: if I were to, hypothetically, throw all of the children down a volcano at once would any who survived a fraction longer than the others be able to report them as deceased from the depths of the earth, or would they all perish at once and list as missing?

If a single one sees a death, they go like this.

"WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OH GOD SOMEONE DIED" and everyone knows who died.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 04:19:02 pm »

If they all hit SMR at the same depth, then no.  Creatures fall at exactly 6 ticks per level, so as long as they all hit the same level they should all die simultaneously.

Wonderful!

I desperately needed an excuse totally legitimate reason to sacrifice mothers and children.
/人‿‿人\

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 04:24:05 pm »

Wonderful!

I desperately needed an excuse totally legitimate reason to sacrifice mothers and children.

Or, if you rather have more fun (and more blood) do this.

Seperate rooms, 1x1, with a steel spike. Put EVERYONE in the rooms you want dead. PULL THE LEVER! Pour magma into the holes, the spike remains cause it is steel, and the body is destroyed.

TA-DA!
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 04:31:51 pm »

Came in here expecting Johnathan Swift, not sure if I got it...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 04:57:54 pm »

Seperate rooms, 1x1, with a steel spike. Put EVERYONE in the rooms you want dead. PULL THE LEVER! Pour magma into the holes, the spike remains cause it is steel, and the body is destroyed.

TA-DA!

The buggers won't stay still :|

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 04:58:57 pm »

TA-DA!

The buggers won't stay still :|

Burrows will, if there dodging, have it on repeat. If you change your mind, you got a super-soldier.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 05:13:23 pm »

...If my Dwarfs aren't a non-danger roomed trained super soldier by the time I want them dead, I've done something wrong.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 08:41:26 am »

I may have a method to start a solitary fort now!  All attempts previously resulted in tantrum of the survivor.

I've been doing this, and it does seem to work well. I found one odd result though. Atomsmashing works for dead dwarf friends or family, but not for animals.

My hermit fort has been happily running along, with the original atomsmashing causing no bad thoughts at all, but then when a war dog got caught under the drawbridge with one of the migrant waves, the hermit suddenly became unhappy at the loss of a pet.

Fortunately by then I had given him a very good bedroom and dining room.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 12:39:47 pm »

Came in here expecting Johnathan Swift, not sure if I got it...

I think the title is still somewhat appropriate. It does function to get rid of unwanted excess, which was a part of Swift's Modest Proposal. Swift's proposal just went further in that it provided income for the mothers and helped solve a food shortage. I suppose one can't have everything.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 05:18:37 pm »

Wonderful!

seems kinda unnecessary.

i mean, didn't you hear about the baby-separator? why waste a perfectly good adult dwarf when you could just throw the baby out with the bathwater instead :)

(can't find the thread for you, but something like 4/7 deep water causes mothers to drop their babies)

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »

seems kinda unnecessary.

i mean, didn't you hear about the baby-separator? why waste a perfectly good adult dwarf when you could just throw the baby out with the bathwater instead :)

(can't find the thread for you, but something like 4/7 deep water causes mothers to drop their babies)

Because I'm a responsible fortress overseer la presidente god.

Prevention is better than cure.
/人‿‿人\
Pages: [1] 2