Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Was the Everlasting Gobstopper the least interesting Invention?  (Read 26370 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Was the Everlasting Gobstopper the least interesting Invention?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 11:36:51 pm »

Also, at no point was the competition trying to steal anything anyway.

Well yes Wonka controls him and likely owns the rival company as well.

Which also means Wonka has an illegal monopoly.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:48:36 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 12:04:19 am »

Not that that has ever stopped real-world industrialists.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 12:04:51 am »

Let's be realistic here; there is no way Wonka is sane enough to actually exploit an advantage like that.
His goal from the outset was to tempt the children into a dangerous situation.
You are now aware that Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory is actually an allegory for Hell and human sins.

Or perhaps more literal than allegorical, if you consider the Tunnel Scene.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 12:09:51 am »

My beef with Everlasting Gobstoppers is they keep getting smaller. I used to have some comparison ones from various gobstopper boxes over the course of ~10 years, since they're like my second favorite candy ever. The ones from the early 00's are about twice the size of the ones you buy today.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 12:52:19 am »

You can still find the giant jawbreakers at least in some candy stores in malls. Although, I sorta prefer the megaton atomic fireball (giant jawbreaker version of the fiery delicious cinnamon treat), although those have been tougher to find lately; but if you can find them, try them out if you think you can handle it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 02:00:30 am »

I was always afraid of giant jawbreakers, myself. I would imagine getting them past my teeth but being unable to properly breath or take it back out, and I would just be stuck like that with no way out.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 02:02:59 am »

I was always afraid of giant jawbreakers, myself. I would imagine getting them past my teeth but being unable to properly breath or take it back out, and I would just be stuck like that with no way out.
I've always wondered if someone has dreamt of making a large candy company just so they can make jawbreakers that closely match the diameter of the throat of a human child.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 02:04:28 am »

You can still find the giant jawbreakers at least in some candy stores in malls.
Oh yeah, I've eaten a couple of those. Things are bigger than a baseball and are pure crystallized sugar. Takes months to eat.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 08:07:17 pm »

I've always wondered if someone has dreamt of making a large candy company just so they can make jawbreakers that closely match the diameter of the throat of a human child.
That is possibly one of the most disturbing things I have seen on Bay12.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 08:21:06 pm »

Not only was it the least interesting, it made no business sense either. I mean, how much are people willing to pay for that? Certainly less than selling a few candies over an entire year. I wouldn't really want a Gobstopper either, since you have to keep it somewhere clean and candy is really not worth that effort.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 09:45:11 pm »

Most disturbing, eh?
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 12:55:24 am »

His goal from the outset was to tempt the children into a dangerous situation.

Honestly, I thought training monkeys to deshell nuts and not eat them is pretty damn impressive, though they were replaced with geese in the movie.

And Squirrels in the other movie... Which I thought was odd since... Squirrels don't live anywhere close to peanuts.

It was always squirrels. There were never any monkies.

Also, they're walnuts, not peanuts.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 01:08:24 am »

you have to keep it somewhere clean and candy is really not worth that effort.
You... monstrous excuse of a human being!

Candy is always worth the effort. It's CANDY.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 01:23:01 am »

Most disturbing, eh?
Didn't the movie Jawbreaker begin by accidentally killing someone via giant jawbreaker? Here's a lesson girls: don't befriend the types that would attempt a surprise party by staging a kidnapping and ducttaping a jawbreaker in your mouth and jamming you in the trunk of a car. A speedbump/pothole may make you accidentally swallow that thing.

I'm not exaggerating, that's how the movie begins, the girl's friends stage a kidnapping and accidentally kill her this way.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:24:35 am by Itnetlolor »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 01:28:08 am »

I think that the fact that he has a illegal monopoly is less concerning then the fact that he has a group of slaves that are never allowed to leave the factory working for him, and pays them in what is (to them), a highly addictive narcotic.

Not only was it the least interesting, it made no business sense either. I mean, how much are people willing to pay for that? Certainly less than selling a few candies over an entire year. I wouldn't really want a Gobstopper either, since you have to keep it somewhere clean and candy is really not worth that effort.
I imagine he could sell them as collector items, set the price at a few thousand each (or more), and only release a limited amount per year/per flavor.

And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4