Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: AI Games  (Read 12033 times)

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AI Games
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 02:35:44 pm »

Not very fun for the other players if only the arbitrary 'winner' gets to see the progress on the fort persist.  It makes a lot of extra work for all the players, and takes the fun out of "well, this is what happened with the fort during your predecessor's turn.  Deal with it."

Well, after the first year people will be playing with essentially the same stock of Dwarves, which will provide some continuity.  And.....

And whatever you do to your fort?  won't matter, chances are it won't be picked anyway.  Lastly, who wants to dig through 7 saves just to make a vote?  Finally, if its just the players voting, the winner is probably won't win with more than 1/2 votes over the next person.

As was mentioned, by keeping it within the players it seems reasonable that they could collude to give each other a turn sometime.  Also, chances are that as the fort progresses each player will be dealing with pretty much the same problems at the same time... and there will be write-ups, right?  So it won't be digging through saves, but reading reports on how other players dealt with similar challenges, which could be entertaining and educational at the same time.

Well said. :)

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 02:37:52 pm »

Indeed, here you will have essentially a group of succession fort players competing for being the best succession fort player. Everyone who participates would post their write-ups for the year, and would then be able to vote on any of the other write-ups for that year. The winning save wouldn't necessarily be the most efficient or the richest, etc, the quality of the write-up itself would be a factor as well. The game's inherent randomness would mean that events would be slightly different for everyone, and it'd be the participants' job to make their fort's story be as interesting as possible. In the end, we'd have a compilation of yearly updates by (hopefully) different people, making this sort of a genetically sorted succession game, every generation branching into different directions and all but the one best path trimmed every year.

You, my friend, are a very smart man. :)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 03:22:41 pm »

Indeed, here you will have essentially a group of succession fort players competing for being the best succession fort player. Everyone who participates would post their write-ups for the year, and would then be able to vote on any of the other write-ups for that year. The winning save wouldn't necessarily be the most efficient or the richest, etc, the quality of the write-up itself would be a factor as well. The game's inherent randomness would mean that events would be slightly different for everyone, and it'd be the participants' job to make their fort's story be as interesting as possible. In the end, we'd have a compilation of yearly updates by (hopefully) different people, making this sort of a genetically sorted succession game, every generation branching into different directions and all but the one best path trimmed every year.

I really don't intend to poop on your idea or anything.  But from what I can tell from the succession threads I've read (and my own brief experience in a succession game), doing nice creative write-ups takes an order of magnitude more effort than just playing 1 year of a fort.  People sustain that by knowing that they only need to it for a year, and that for one year, the observers of the thread and the other players in the game are relying on them, and only them, to have a well documented, fun year.  That said, if you actually make a game like this, i would be interested in following it.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 06:20:37 pm »

I really don't intend to poop on your idea or anything.  But from what I can tell from the succession threads I've read (and my own brief experience in a succession game), doing nice creative write-ups takes an order of magnitude more effort than just playing 1 year of a fort.  People sustain that by knowing that they only need to it for a year, and that for one year, the observers of the thread and the other players in the game are relying on them, and only them, to have a well documented, fun year.  That said, if you actually make a game like this, i would be interested in following it.

I'm glad you are interested. All I'm waiting for is for the majority of players to agree with the rules (and the amendments). Once that is done, we can begin the process of starting the game.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 09:16:24 pm »

I'm bumping this old thread because, lately, I've been wanting to do something like this, so who's in?

P.S.- If someone could recommend a good file hosting service as well, that would be awesome.

Personally, I'd rather be second or third on the player list, if that's okay with everyone else.

EDIT- Oops!!! WTF was I thinking? Second or third on the list... Kinda killed the point of the whole thing...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:20:26 pm by DwarfMeister »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2012, 12:34:40 am »

P.S.- If someone could recommend a good file hosting service as well, that would be awesome.

dffd.wimbli.com

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2012, 04:54:46 am »

dffd.wimbli.com

Of course.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2012, 04:57:16 am »

Okay, here it is!!! The OFFICIAL sign up sheet!!! Yay!!! Just jot your name down here on any of the remaining lines.

1- DwarfMeister
2-
2-

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2012, 06:13:40 pm »

I'm interested in trying this out. I'll take the 2nd spot.

I'm #2! I'm #2! I'm...wait a sec...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2012, 11:19:34 pm »

I'm interested in trying this out. I'll take the 2nd spot.

I'm #2! I'm #2! I'm...wait a sec...
Glad to have you.

All we need is a third sucker player.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2012, 04:58:55 pm »

I'm not sure how most Bloodline games are played, but I think I should make something clear- You ARE allowed to use third part utilities, but if you use a DFHack, you can only use the "nopause" feature. Also, do not use ANYTHING that lets you cheat (DFHack is excluded, provided that you follow the above instructions.). I want a clean game.

Anyway, who wants the third spot?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 08:40:32 pm »

Should we let people that weren't playing in the game vote for their favorite timeline?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 10:08:41 pm »

Should we let people that weren't playing in the game vote for their favorite timeline?

Although I may have stated otherwise, I have come to the realization that this may be a necessary tie breaker.

doomxorz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2012, 09:47:57 pm »

I'd like the third spot!

This is me first time in the community, and i've not played the game much so I'm not that great, but it sounds fun, and this gameplay seems like somthing that, even if I mess up, I won't mess up for everybody.

So let's do it! :)

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 07:41:23 am »

I would like to point out that this form of succession fort responds very well to a larger number of players.

If people don't get in their fort idea in time, it just isn't added to the voting. In this way it can run much more efficiently than many standard succession forts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5