Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Natural Gas and "Fracking"  (Read 8795 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Gas and "Fracking"
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 03:48:17 am »

I've been looking at undertaking a petroleum engineering degree in Montana, Montana Tech has a laboratory dedicated to frac fluids (which hydraulically fracture oil-bearing stone) and propent (a sandy/gravelly material used to keep those fractures open). The frac fluid could conceivably (but not reliably) end up in a water table, and on that issue the professor at the college spoke briefly to say that it's made from water, clay and natural polymers, and should be harmless. The propent is stone or ceramic and clearly harmless even from a layman's level of information.

Also, apparently it bugs people when you spell "Frac" with a K, since the word is supposed to be related to fracturing. If you're going to say "fracking" you really might just as well say fracturing fluid.

Also, I'm pretty sure windmills are harmless, so there's that.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 06:29:50 pm »

Honestly, "Natural Polymers" could mean anything. A: Not everything natural is safe. B: There's no telling, without more details, what those polymers might eventually break down into even if they're safe in their used form. C: Again, what people are complaining about the most is the methane, the thing that's already in the ground and that they're seeking to harvest, the methane itself getting into ground water.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2012, 06:32:16 pm »

I still hope I'll see Vacuum Energy in my lifetime. Not bloody likely, but hey.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2012, 11:32:56 pm »

The US oil dependency is a myth at this point. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-29/u-s-was-net-oil-product-exporter-in-2011.html

That's refined petroleum products, not crude oil.  In terms of crude oil, the US is nowhere remotely close to self sufficiency.  It's like how the UK is a net exporter of chocolate candies despite being a massive importer of the products those chocolates are actually made from.

What's happening is that we are importing middle eastern oil, refining it in the southeast and gulf coast then re-exporting, mostly to Latin America, IIRC.  Oil refineries aren't exactly cheap to build and the middle east isn't well known for be a safe place to invest in.  So the historical US oil refinery industry has stuck around, just importing crude oil to replace american crude.
Ah, okay, thanks for clearing that up.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2012, 11:49:24 pm »

Honestly, "Natural Polymers" could mean anything. A: Not everything natural is safe. B: There's no telling, without more details, what those polymers might eventually break down into even if they're safe in their used form. C: Again, what people are complaining about the most is the methane, the thing that's already in the ground and that they're seeking to harvest, the methane itself getting into ground water.

Yes, just because something is "natural" doesn't mean that it's good to have in the water table.  Pennsylvania and the Chesapeake bay being a fine example.  None of the pollutants we are most worried about getting into the bay are toxic.  But these non toxic pollutants throw of the ecosystem and destroy hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars of economic activity, as well as destroying one of the greatest natural treasures in this country.  Pennsylvania is the leader in fracking so it's a rather important case to consider.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]