Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 160

Author Topic: Economies of Scale *Free Browser Game*  (Read 315668 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Economies of Scale *Free Browser Game*
« Reply #2340 on: July 16, 2018, 07:58:30 pm »

It's probably not something so easy to code, but it's a bit annoying that you can't use things as they're produced instead of having to wait for their production to end.

As an aside, I'm going to start producing plastic packaging, so if anyone wants to start producing stuff to be packaged, you'll have some plastic bags and bottles in the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:01:54 pm by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: July 16, 2018, 10:59:35 pm »

I've noticed that you can't sell water or filtered water for more than twice the wholesale value.  Presumably, this limit is on every product.

I think this is a bad idea.  Demand for water is high.  If you have a product that is in demand to sell, you should be able to get what the market is willing to pay for it.  That's how capitalism works.

Price caps discourage people from creating surpluses to sell, since they might not be able to get a decent price.  Price caps will tend to make the game even more about ignoring the B2B and more about creating your own supplies.

Also, I wonder if this price cap takes into account the formula (basevalue * (1 + (Q/50))).  If a product's value after quality is taken into account is way, way higher than what we're allowed to sell it for, people will not bother.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: July 17, 2018, 01:47:41 am »

it's a protection toward alt account abusers and creating shell companies to pump up your parent company with loan money and declaring bankruptcy (not a great solution, but still)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: July 17, 2018, 02:32:33 am »

Hopefully you can get a lot more money selling 'complete' items like bottled water.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: July 17, 2018, 02:43:12 am »

I've noticed that you can't sell water or filtered water for more than twice the wholesale value.  Presumably, this limit is on every product.
-snip-
Also, I wonder if this price cap takes into account the formula (basevalue * (1 + (Q/50))).  If a product's value after quality is taken into account is way, way higher than what we're allowed to sell it for, people will not bother.

Not sure what the formula is exactly, but let me glance at it...
Lumber ($5.26 Wholesale) at Q8 lets me list it at $11.36 (not 11.37). Its about x2.16, so my Q4 Paper should let me list at 0.13 x2.08 so 0.2704 (lets me at 0.27, not 0.28), and my Q5.5 Charcoal at 1.97*2.11 so 4.1567 (lets me at 4.15, not 4.16). All 3 are with just 1 item listed, not sure if there is a price change based on total items though I assume you'd hit it with water if that was the case.

Looks like it might be ROUNDDOWN(2 * (basevalue * (1 + (Q/100))))?

DISCLAIMER: its late so the rough tired math might be off.

edit: Oh and I'm "Quiteking" owner of "Bathiti-Refi LLC" in game. Mainly have Q8 Lumber, Q5.5 Charcoal, and Q4 Paper if you're interested.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:48:40 am by Aranna »

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: July 17, 2018, 03:05:31 am »

Good job BetterMember at getting market screen improvements!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: July 17, 2018, 03:22:10 am »

it's a protection toward alt account abusers and creating shell companies to pump up your parent company with loan money and declaring bankruptcy
Sounds like a mediocre solution, since you can still list the goods at below-market prices and rebuy them with your main company, so instead of laundering all the money at once you do it in small chunks (your added loss is however much the (tax on) minimum price is ,which should be 1 c/unit?)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

BetterMember

• Bay Watcher
  • PHP Web Design
    • View Profile
    • http://bettermember.net/
« Reply #2347 on: July 17, 2018, 05:33:51 pm »

I think this is a bad idea.  Demand for water is high.  If you have a product that is in demand to sell, you should be able to get what the market is willing to pay for it.  That's how capitalism works.

Price caps discourage people from creating surpluses to sell, since they might not be able to get a decent price.  Price caps will tend to make the game even more about ignoring the B2B and more about creating your own supplies.

This cap is to prevent people from buying up all the electric and water and selling it at 7.00 per unit which happened to be the case in the old capitalism game.  It creates the same problem.  Which is also the addition to Wind and Solar power on my server.  To create an almost free reliable energy for starting players and help battle this capitalistic need to destroy a server.  It also helps prevent people from creating multiple accounts selling low from one and back high in an effort to transfer money from one account to another.

To an extent I agree with you as well Zaz, I thought the cap would be harmful as well.  So I wrote in an extra little script on the R&D side of it where the cap is attached to the quality.

example
I can sell 1 filtered water with a zero quality 26 cents (max).
I can sell 1 filtered water with a quality of 25 at 32 cents (max).

This is to encourage R&D and quality growth as well.  Good point though, it's something that I struggled with on the decision as well. 
Thanks ZaZ
Thank you,
BetterMember

Nevets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: July 17, 2018, 06:36:01 pm »

Just starting as we speak. Is there any 'benefit' to picking a harder difficulty?

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: July 17, 2018, 06:42:26 pm »

Who can work the exploit and make hundreds of millions faster-the game.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2350 on: July 17, 2018, 08:00:41 pm »

While it's not really useful at the moment, due to a low volume of offers, I would hope to see something more akin to steam's marketplace should this ever take off.
i.e. each commodity only has the lowest priced listing (or multiple below a certain volume?) and that's the only listing that you can buy at that moment.
Probably a better alternative would be the buyer entering an amount to buy, and the listings being bought altogether, lowest and newest/oldest first (Not sure which of the two would be better, but using either as the secondary criteria would give a defined order to process the buy order.

That leads into a suggestion I had for the current environment though: Have identical listings merge. As it is, If someone wants to increase the amount on the market, they either generate another listing, leading to spam-like listings, or they pay the de-listing fee on the existing listing.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: July 17, 2018, 08:13:56 pm »

This cap is to prevent people from buying up all the electric and water and selling it at 7.00 per unit which happened to be the case in the old capitalism game.  It creates the same problem.  Which is also the addition to Wind and Solar power on my server.  To create an almost free reliable energy for starting players and help battle this capitalistic need to destroy a server.  It also helps prevent people from creating multiple accounts selling low from one and back high in an effort to transfer money from one account to another.

To an extent I agree with you as well Zaz, I thought the cap would be harmful as well.  So I wrote in an extra little script on the R&D side of it where the cap is attached to the quality.

example
I can sell 1 filtered water with a zero quality 26 cents (max).
I can sell 1 filtered water with a quality of 25 at 32 cents (max).

This is to encourage R&D and quality growth as well.  Good point though, it's something that I struggled with on the decision as well. 
Thanks ZaZ
I think in almost every case of someone buying up all the water and electricity and then relisting it for $7, it was a result of all the excess money from exploiting or from the quest system.  It was done for trolling, not because it made any sense financially.  Remove the exploits and quests that give someone stupid amounts of cash, and I wager you'd rarely see that happen.

By the way, there is no way to research filtered water that I can see.  I thought it was meant to always be 0 quality.

BetterMember

• Bay Watcher
  • PHP Web Design
    • View Profile
    • http://bettermember.net/
« Reply #2352 on: July 17, 2018, 08:39:27 pm »

LoL, nope not meant to be quality 0.  Just one of those things I happened to overlook.

Ok,  Added some new products and assigned some R&Ds in some much needed areas.

I just wanted to thank everyone here at Bay12 again for being so welcoming and patient with me as I continue to code EoS on the BetterMember Server.
Your input, although I don't comment much on it, is always appreciated.  I am reading it and working on the areas that you mention.

Looking for ideas on a new quest system or do you like the old quest system and think I should just scale it way down?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 08:41:03 pm by BetterMember »
Thank you,
BetterMember

Deagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: July 17, 2018, 08:44:46 pm »

It's probably not something so easy to code, but it's a bit annoying that you can't use things as they're produced instead of having to wait for their production to end.

As an aside, I'm going to start producing plastic packaging, so if anyone wants to start producing stuff to be packaged, you'll have some plastic bags and bottles in the next couple of days.

Yay!  I have a dairy going, and if I want to make gallons or half gallons of milk I need containers.  Now I just need someone making paper cartons!

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: July 17, 2018, 11:07:41 pm »

Now I just need someone making paper cartons!

I've just started expansion into paper, should have Paper Cartons being produced within a few days.
Also, at the current time I believe Shomber of Free Printing has Paper Cartons, as the have Q10 research on it and are selling it in the Industrial (store). I think they are selling them for like $2 each (hard to tell exactly), but likely would drop lower for a bulk sale.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 160