Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 160

Author Topic: Economies of Scale *Free Browser Game*  (Read 315640 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Economies of Scale *Free Browser Game*
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 02:44:51 pm »

I'm starting slow and selling aluminum ingots in an industrial store for now for a steady profit and guaranteed sales. I'll have to adjust sales to match production and ensure I can stay afloat while I research some better mining and refining methods.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 02:45:07 pm »

If I'm correct, electricity has no quality modifier at all right? Doesn't seem to be a way to improve it; not that I think it should have one anyway....
There is no quality modifier.  (Forums even had a talk about it, doesn't look like it'll ever be implemented.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sengoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2012, 02:48:04 pm »

I started as an apple company, realized apples were going really cheap on the market, sold my apple company for 1 mil, then started a new electronics company with the 2 mil of personal money.

Didn't realize that by doing so I was screwing myself out of the 5 million loan, though - can only take out loans of 20% company value, which is currently $0.00.  :o

Guess I should have just been an electronics company that sells apples on the side.

I didn't really want to have to open retail stores, but I guess I might have to. Put up some processors and laptop computers for sale B2B earlier, but haven't made any sales yet. Almost out of cash already.

Go to Settings-Order Appraisal
This will give update your companies networth which means you can get one of those super cheap loans.

Two questions:
1) What does factory expansion do?
2) Is it a bug that I can insta-finish any amount of buildings for free?

1) A 20m2 factory produces items twice as fast as a 10m2 one, a 100m2 factory produces items 10 times as fast as a 10m2 one
2) You can insta-finish any buildings until your company grows to level 5, after that you either have to wait or spend influence to rush it
Therian Saga

Character: Endalos
Profession: Extractor

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 02:50:46 pm »

and I don't think there are many player companies around that only do retail without making any of their own products.

Right now, I am doing just that, with an apparel store and a food court.

Is there a way to guesstimate your company net worth just by looking at your own stuff?  I want to know how worthwhile doing an appraisal would be.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2012, 02:59:53 pm »

To me, it seems most players sell their stuff at over-inflated prices...  either that or the reasonable prices get bought up quickly...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2012, 03:03:52 pm »

To me, it seems most players sell their stuff at over-inflated prices...  either that or the reasonable prices get bought up quickly...
Depends on what you define as over-inflated. The value of a good is whatever it will sell for in a truly free economy. If I list my aluminum ingots at 8000 dollars and someone buys em, that isn't an inflated price... they needed it badly enough to buy them.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 03:07:15 pm »

I think he means that there is a rather wide profit margin, which allows new companies to have enough room to undercut competition.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2012, 03:08:29 pm »

I buy things I want on the B2B market if they're cheaper than the import market, or if it's unavailable on the import market and I can sell it for a profit.

Or if someone sells water for 1 cent a unit, but unfortunately they were only selling... one unit.

I think he means that there is a rather wide profit margin, which allows new companies to have enough room to undercut competition.

In other words, capitalism is working as intended!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2012, 03:12:14 pm »

On that note, if someone wants to go into Desserts or Hot Foods (which have a demand met of about 6-8%) I'm quite interested in buying from you.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2012, 03:14:31 pm »

hm. I have 1.47 M$.

I could use that to get industrial research and unlock titanium, allowing me to smelt some and to create a good that can be sold in shops. However, that would leave me with very little in hand, and still an huge debt to bank.

or I could use the cash to upgrade my mine, and just sell more coal/ titanium ore. will delay my access to titanium, but should be a safer way to earn money in the short term.

or should I rather pay back some of my loan? I am not sure if interests are taken from my cash or rather added to the loan. if the former, I really want to get rid of debt as soon as possible.

what do you suggest?
( or, what strategies did you follow in your first days?)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2012, 03:17:21 pm »

On that note, if someone wants to go into Desserts or Hot Foods (which have a demand met of about 6-8%) I'm quite interested in buying from you.

Hehe Robin's Cakes may be starting up then... I'm gonna have a look at the site.

Edit: Robin Egg Sweets is tutorialing! Currently lemony fresh.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:19:37 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Voxel_Squid

• Bay Watcher
  • Can't believe I play DF more than minecraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2012, 03:21:25 pm »

Is there a page somewhere that displays % demand met?

Keff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2012, 03:22:35 pm »

Hehe Robin's Cakes may be starting up then... I'm gonna have a look at the site.

Edit: Robin Egg Sweets is tutorialing! Currently lemony fresh.
I'll probably start producing hot foods when I make some money with my lemon farm.

http://www.ratjoy.com/eos/pedia-product-stats-cat.php

Voxel_Squid

• Bay Watcher
  • Can't believe I play DF more than minecraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2012, 03:27:51 pm »

http://www.ratjoy.com/eos/pedia-product-stats-cat.php

Damn, I wish I saw that before using up all my factory slots. Most of my products are going to be at 90 to 100% demand met.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2012, 03:32:10 pm »

That's one reason I went toward textiles.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 160