Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 160

Author Topic: Economies of Scale *Free Browser Game*  (Read 315706 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Economies of Scale *Free Browser Game*
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2012, 03:33:19 pm »

I get the feeling there's a ton of money to be made by playing the penny stocks.

Bonus:  If you buy over 50% of a company's stock, you gain control of it!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2012, 03:34:08 pm »

Graff Industries is now starting a new line of hot food products! (thanks for the tip)

Keff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2012, 03:36:24 pm »

hmm.. should I try to grow my own ingredients for the hot foods or buy them?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2012, 03:39:33 pm »

I'd suggest buying them to start with.  Trying to manage several factories all at once can overwhelm you.

I actually tried that with textiles and ended up selling back most of my factories.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2012, 03:41:13 pm »

it mostly depends on length and complexity of supply chain. if all you need is a plantation, and you have plenty of cash to spare, getting your own would be great. but if setting up the supply chain means that you can't expand your buildings... just buy them. profit may be smaller, but an output of 1 item/ hour is not a good thing ( note: production rate totally made up)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2012, 03:44:27 pm »

So anyone made up a good cost analysis or production spreadsheet yet? I mean come on this thread has been open for more than 24 hours, we should have some tools up. :P

Voxel_Squid

• Bay Watcher
  • Can't believe I play DF more than minecraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2012, 03:45:20 pm »

As a general trend, heavy industry products like cars, planes, and electronics tend to be close to or over 100% supplied, while many random household products like clothing, sporting goods, and non-fruit-based food are less than 20% supplied. It seems like the meta-game factor of airplanes being awesomer than clothes is having quite a strong impact on the in-game economy.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2012, 03:46:56 pm »

And clothes and baked goods are boring.

Such things will balance out somewhat as the game grows, I assume.

Keff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2012, 03:49:58 pm »

Anyone here selling any Beef(Steak)?

EDIT: Going to sleep (stupid timezones).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:57:29 pm by Keff »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2012, 03:55:33 pm »

Ok, so I'm starting with lemon pie (sorry, not dessert or hot food) because it has a smaller but overlapping supply chain. After I get that worked out and my first batch of pies out of my ovens I'll do some math and get Vanilla Cakes going too. Also, I think I'm in the market for glass bottles because there's no way in hell I'm making that supply chain just so I can make vanilla extract. I have the lumber though.

Edit: Yeesh... you need vanilla extract AND artificial vanilla extract for vanilla cake? That's lame, but whatever. Still need bottles!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:00:08 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2012, 03:59:50 pm »

There's a good deal on glass bottles (Q10 @ $0.85ea) on the B2B market right now.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2012, 04:10:36 pm »

Observation: Retail is time consuming thanks to the interface. 

I've been messing with buying goods for my Farmer's Market and setting it up to sell stuff for the past few hours on and off.

I want more specialized stores, so I could pay less in upkeep and be limited to sell a smaller number of goods.  Or better interface.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2012, 04:16:23 pm »

Cool game. I'm Ze Twelth Bay Lemon Co.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2012, 04:19:59 pm »

To me, it seems most players sell their stuff at over-inflated prices...  either that or the reasonable prices get bought up quickly...
I've noticed this with retail prices - just look at this page. That's more than a 1000% profit margin.

Undercutting the competition is far too easy.

And Toaster, did you buy a single can of gasoline from me? Quite a small playerbase :P
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:25:45 pm by Frajic »
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Voxel_Squid

• Bay Watcher
  • Can't believe I play DF more than minecraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2012, 04:25:56 pm »

Well, I've decided to say goodbye to my original electronics and beverage company. I'm going to start again with a new account as Econosia Tires. It's going to be a rubber company that makes sporting goods to sell to the consumers, kinda like Canadian Tire.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 160