Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 160

Author Topic: Economies of Scale *Free Browser Game*  (Read 314348 times)

Sengoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Economies of Scale *Free Browser Game*
« on: April 08, 2012, 06:50:25 pm »

http://www.ratjoy.com/eos/overview.php

The game opened on January 15 and since then has steadily increased in popularity and players.  Its a game that wishes to be the most complex economy simulator with new additions being added every week.  The players have the chance to actively suggest new features and in many cases they are implemented.

Here is a description of the game by the developer

GAME DESCRIPTION

Economies of Scale is a free real-time browser-based text-based with graphics MMO business-simulation game with a tick-based store system. Sounds complicated? No, never complicated enough, because this game is inspired by the famous Capitalism Plus, which is among the most complicated and rewarding computer games ever made.

The ultimate goal of Economies of Scale is to provide a deep, engaging, persistent world that encourages freedom and social mobility, and treats all players equally without regards to in-game age, real life cash, and real life spare time.

As of version v0.38 of Economies of Scale, you are able to operate multiple companies, each of which can have dozens of factories, stores, and R&D buildings. Each building is able to produce, sell, or research a vast array of products at different qualities.

Want to make a car? Simple. Just run a few mines for the coal and iron, a smelter for the steel, a plantation for rubber, a chemical plant for plastic, then auto factories for the vehicle bodies, engines, wheels, and the car itself. Oh wait, I think I left out the branch involving integrated circuits and microprocessors. Of course, this leads to player interaction, as you can trade any product over the B2B, or even import various finished goods from foreign countries.

Being a factory owner isn't your thing? Maybe you can try running a store instead, all you have to do is to make sure you have the products in your warehouse, and put a price on them. Of course, if you want to achieve the maximum profits, then you'll have to play around with the simple equation of profit = (price - cost) * sold, and do it for all 114 products in the case of a supermarket.

Need cash? Take a loan or go public. Don't want to do the work alone? Hire a competent CEO! Don't want to do ANY work at all? Invest in the stock market!
__
Screenshots
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Try out the game, it is definitively worth it.  I am in as Walter Yorkshire so if anyone has any ingame questions just send me a message :)

List of Forum Players
IRC Chat: #Bay12EoS at https://cbe005.chat.mibbit.com/?url=irc%3A%2F%2Firc.newnet.net
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:15:18 am by Sengoku »
Therian Saga

Character: Endalos
Profession: Extractor

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Economies of Scale *Free Browser Game*
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:51:21 pm »

Seems...human?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 07:15:21 pm »

Normally it's rather annoying to see people sign up just to advertise but this actually looks pretty interesting.

EDIT: the site isn't sending any activation email.. ah well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:31:11 pm by Eagle_eye »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 08:18:15 pm »

Can you be communist in this game?

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:58:50 pm »

Can you be communist in this game?

"Don't even want to risk money on the stock market? Expropriate the means of production from the parasitic pigs!"
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 05:54:47 am »

Well I signed up and am trying it out. Graff Industries

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:25:36 am »

Can you be an anarchist and SMASH THE SYSTEM?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 06:30:04 am »

Could you be a lobbyst and annoy the heck outta all normal people by giving companies huge advantages?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 07:57:28 am »

Hmm.

You can sell to other players but you can also open your own shop to sell to npc's I think.
I'm still figuring out what I should price my stuff while selling to the npc's.
Gonna focus on making high quality steel for now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 08:03:21 am »

Could we coordinate all buying the same stock at the same time to artificially raise the price, commit insider trading, and all such other activities that would otherwise getting the SEC to come a-knocking?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 08:18:24 am »

big input good shortage in a couple of places

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 08:49:34 am »

Well i decided to give it a try, i destroyed my lemon farm, and i am starting Armok Products, im currently building all that i need to build aircraft, well se how this goes.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 08:56:09 am »

Well i decided to give it a try, i destroyed my lemon farm, and i am starting Armok Products, im currently building all that i need to build aircraft, well se how this goes.
I am working on getting a good supply chain for aluminum going. Is there a way to send/sell materials directly to someone else without going through the market? I could provide you aluminum fairly soon, which is used in making planes.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 09:04:29 am »

Well since I'm already working on steel I'll make some turbine engines for the airplane wings then :P

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 09:25:22 am »

I believe I'll go into Textiles- I have to represent the South here.

We can add each other as contacts- I'm Toaster The Awesome of Toast Industries.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 160