Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 160

Author Topic: Economies of Scale *Free Browser Game*  (Read 314337 times)

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
Re: Economies of Scale *Free Browser Game*
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 01:23:57 pm »

I signed up as well Elleanor Cousland of lemons for life
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 01:28:52 pm »

I'm researching up my cotton now, while I'm letting my two stores do the heavy lifting of making me monies.  Retail seems to be a decent place to start (though I'm already on the stock market.)
Seriously, stop doing that.

Three steps into the tutorial. Openly drooling.

Sengoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2012, 01:41:48 pm »

Jolly Roger of Davey Jones Inc. Fine Rum and Beer. Or at least it will be fine.. in a couple of months. Oh god there's no money in this is there? Oh well, at least going down in flames will be fun.

So what's the deal with producing water at beverage factories? Not bottled water, just water. It seems like you actually lose water when mass producing it. Is this just for the sake of improving water quality?

You produce Quality 0 water from a well, if you want to up the quality you need to 'filter' it in a beverages factory.  If you look at it straight then it may look like you lose water doing so, but there is a factor called Economy of Scale, where the bigger production orders you do, the less time per unit and components per units are required. 

Here is the formula for it if you are interested.

unit cost = 0.5 + 0.5 * (1 + Production_Quantity * Item_Base_Value^0.5 / 10000)^-0.25;

Unit cost is a fraction from 0.5 to 1 and it affects all products and cash cost required to make the product.
Therian Saga

Character: Endalos
Profession: Extractor

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2012, 01:53:53 pm »

Looked at the production trees. Looks like I won't be doing much beyond this game in the next week.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2012, 01:56:49 pm »

Yea, it is much cheaper to produce en masse then it is to produce a little at a time... I'll have to see what expenses are like with maintenance/salaries before I go and build a 2nd farm to flood the markets with cheap Strawberries... for profit.

*snip*
One thing we could do is make a mega DF company and hire each other, so we could all manage it... (Multiple people working in a company is not in yet, but coming in soon apparently...)

I say we call it Underground Research and Industrial Systems Technologies Inc. with the ticker symbol URIST
Perhaps one of us could start up a second/fresh company for that... it shall be a mega conglomerate like no other.  I suppose the question is... should it be private or public trade?  (Should hold off on going public till the hiring change comes in... By then, we could pick up a few stocks for controlling interest...)

$10,000,000(10 Million) personal monies to start a second company.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:09:36 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2012, 02:10:31 pm »

I started as an apple company, realized apples were going really cheap on the market, sold my apple company for 1 mil, then started a new electronics company with the 2 mil of personal money.

Didn't realize that by doing so I was screwing myself out of the 5 million loan, though - can only take out loans of 20% company value, which is currently $0.00.  :o

Guess I should have just been an electronics company that sells apples on the side.

I didn't really want to have to open retail stores, but I guess I might have to. Put up some processors and laptop computers for sale B2B earlier, but haven't made any sales yet. Almost out of cash already.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 02:14:26 pm »

Are there grey gears above your items in the stores?  You have to click on the gears to make em start selling.

Also have you set the pricing and stuff yet?  (Don't buy too much stock, I made that mistake.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 02:15:04 pm »

Two questions:
1) What does factory expansion do?
2) Is it a bug that I can insta-finish any amount of buildings for free?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2012, 02:16:45 pm »

1) Faster production of stuff I believe.
2) Its a newbie thing, it'll go away when your company levels to 5... or well something levels to 5, I don't know what.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 02:17:11 pm »

Are there grey gears above your items in the stores?  You have to click on the gears to make em start selling.

Also have you set the pricing and stuff yet?  (Don't buy too much stock, I made that mistake.)

I'm just producing stuff, haven't built any retail stores yet. Don't have any money left for that after building my factory, heh.

I have stuff up for sale B2B, guess no other players have needed CPUs or laptops yet.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 02:26:21 pm »

Guess I should have just been an electronics company that sells apples on the side.
Am I the only one that chuckled?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 02:30:35 pm »

Ah, I misread, sorry.

I can suggest...  selling the company again?  Or well... how much do you need to put up a store?  (I've no use for the stuff, but I can take some of it off your hands.)

EDIT: Your company is the Kemp one right?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:33:04 pm by Zangi »

Voxel_Squid

• Bay Watcher
  • Can't believe I play DF more than minecraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 02:33:00 pm »

I have stuff up for sale B2B, guess no other players have needed CPUs or laptops yet.

Seems to me that B2B is mostly useful for selling raw materials or intermediate products that other businesses can use to make their own products. Only the consumer NPCs have any need for finished products like laptops, and I don't think there are many player companies around that only do retail without making any of their own products.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 02:39:12 pm »

If I'm correct, electricity has no quality modifier at all right? Doesn't seem to be a way to improve it; not that I think it should have one anyway....

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 02:41:33 pm »

I started as strawberry farmer, and 5 millions later I have the beginning of a titanium industry.
sadly I tried to rush things, so I only have 2 average mines instead of a good one, but profit seems to be good both on coal and titanium ore ( assuming that the lower price on B2B is the price at which I would sell) so hopefully in a few days I should be able to get some money back and to start expanding again. then, the smelter shall start working!

or I'll go bankrupt due to huge bank loan that I can't reasonably repay. one of the 2.

edit: hahaha! first sale! 51 units of coal at 0 Q!. it was just a test run, but if I can sell 0Q, I can sell anything at that price. in a few hours, the first batch of 10k coal will hit the market.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:45:13 pm by andrea »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 160