Stalker
- 38 (19.2%)
Kobold
- 73 (36.9%)
Guardian
- 19 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54

Author Topic: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.  (Read 189541 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.
« on: April 08, 2012, 07:09:14 pm »

Background

So playing around with the world painter on a large world, I wound up with a similar situation to Earwig's ongoing saga. All the land is in the southeastern corner.
EDIT: world is here http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6141
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, during the creation it said that it placed 10 civs, but after 200 years no sign of any of them was apparent. Looking in Legends it became clear: they were all kobold tribes!
A quick check in adventure mode revealed that there was more than just 'human outsider' available...

The story of Deebus begins in the cave Primechoses the Distinct Sweetness. It is in this homely sounding place that Shidigiginkus, the largest of the kobold tribes, make their home.
Deebus was a fairly unremarkable kobold. He had few friends, and no family. Sometimes he practiced with a spear, but being fairly young he wasn't much use on hunts, only occasionally doing chores for his elders. He once fell into a pool as a child and didn't drown, but aside from that he hadn't anything that the others didn't.
Deebus always dreamed of one day going out with the great heroes and tricksters, to win treasures from the tyrannical beasts who ruled the land. To take a great crystal drum from the dragons, or even a quartz mortar and pestle from the old moon ogre, and bring it back home for the enjoyment of the little ones! To trick and connive the big ones, the great mean monsters who always threw their weight around, to win a victory over them! It would be a fine thing indeed.
One day, he knew he could become a hero to his people. He knew that it was time to follow his dream. Taking a silver spear from the back of the cave, a cave-spider silk pouch, and some modest pieces of Draltha heart, Deebus set out into the night while the others slept. He would make them proud!

Nature had other plans for Deebus, however. It was often cloudy, but the moon could usually be seen. Not having been out much, Deebus didn't notice how pitch dark it was, with his shadow-piercing eyes. Before long a wind began to blow, and it was no normal wind. That night Deebus had chosen to set out in proved to be the fiercest storm in 100 years. He knew not how long it took, but all too soon a driving gale was upon him. He struggled onward yet, no longer knowing where he was going yet in panic knowing he must go, until with terror he felt the wind sweep him up off his feet. Hurtling with terrible speed and with no sense as to which way up he was or where the ground was, Deebus knew no more.

Deebus was awakened by the light of the sun. The storm was gone as quickly as it came, with only clear skies and a gentle breeze in the air. He was surrounded on all sides by snow and trees, stretching as far as he could see in an utterly flat land. As the sun climbed in the eastern sky, Deebus realized for the first time where he truly was. Scared, alone, and utterly lost, Deebus no longer cared about finding treasure or defeating monsters. He just wanted to go home.

But home was nowhere to be seen.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:47:29 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:21:33 pm »

Go my fellow Kobold! Go try not to die to a worm!

Put up the world too.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 07:23:21 pm »

I see haunted mountains in one corner.

And what's to stop you journeying over the glaciers?

JOURNEY ON KOBOLD.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 09:53:45 pm »

I added an xxXXillustrationXXxx to the first post. Updates may take a while so I can illustrate them.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:49:30 pm »

World is uploaded! Check in the OP or here

I'm thinking also, just to update now and illustrate later. Good idea?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:27:38 pm »

I mean no offense. But that looks nothing like this.

Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 10:32:10 pm »

EDIT: Well, I have no idea what a kobold looks like. Then again that picture is only from the back. I have yet to draw him from the front.

New entry!

Deebus is described as follows. The last note was helpfully added by a kobold historian
He is clearly the model of youthful Kobold beauty

----Day 1----

Deebus wandered through the snow, dumbfounded. The enormity of the world was simply too much for a young kobold who spent nearly all his life in the cave. The legends spoke of great journeys across the lands, about the forests and plains and grinding ice to the far south, but listening to them he could never have imagined the size of it all. The flat, white land, stretching in all directions further than he could see. The expanse of snow. And the trees. What a huge thing these trees were to a kobold, with nothing but himself to compare them to. There were trees outside the cave, but they spread out into big green clouds of leaf. They didn't simply go... up.

The rising sun painted the snow a bright pink, casting long shadows behind the enormous trees. It felt so unreal, and in the sheer mind-numbing strangeness of it all Deebus didn't realize how cold he was in just a cave-spider silk tunic and loincloth. In this dazed state he began walking toward the sun; for he knew he should get moving in some direction. Feeling his feet sink into the snow with each step was an interesting experience, and looking back on the holes that marked his steps seemed eerily odd. While shallow, the snow came nearly up to the knees of the kobold. In fact, the next step felt like it was going to be all the way up to his wai--

"Damnit!" Deebus cursed, because falling flat on his face hurt. Although what he actually said was "Gringiliki ibjili!" because kobolds have the unique trait of speaking and understanding complete gibberish. Rubbing his face, he looked up.

The troglodyte broke the moment of silence by charging at Deebus. Terrified, the young kobold scrambled for his spear and lifted it up just as he was about to be struck. The troglodyte ran into the spear, jabbing the spear painfully against his ribs and tearing through the muscle. Surprised that he hadn't died, Deebus quickly drew out the spear and jabbed the troglodyte in the chest again. The spear went in deeper that time, and the troglodyte let out a loud gasp, but with an angry snarl it knocked him to the floor.
Deebus rolled out of the way, pulling the spear out and avoiding the next strike. From the side he stuck the creature again with the spear, and a great jet of blood poured out when he withdrew the point. It's pained howl only sounded angrier though. The shriek also terrified Deebus even more, causing him to lash out and strike it in the belly. With a scream that almost made Deebus drop his spear and run, the troglodyte leaped into the air in pain; but only to land on it's knees.
Seeing it double over and fall to the floor, Deebus begin to feel a new sensation growing beside his fear; he might actually win this fight! He looked down on the beast. It had looked so big just a moment ago, but seeing it on the floor... Debus felt big. Slowly, looking the monster in the frenzied eyes, he hefted the spear over his head and slammed the point down upon the troglodyte's face. Ecem Feedfishes was no more.

Deebus could not believe this had actually happened. To kill something so much larger than himself... that was the work of a great warrior. He was no warrior. How could he do such a thing? And yet, there it lay dead. Quite dead. He could do nothing but stare at it for several minutes, his spear hanging limp at his side. Then, finally, the rumbling of his stomach broke his stupor. Deebus looked at the troglodyte, then at his spear, but then realized he was not that hungry.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:10:58 pm by HugoLuman »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 11:12:51 pm »

I suggest grabbing everything in the cave, and anything that flew off him as weapons, Deebus will likely die of a single hit, so throwing crap will make the enemey weak enough to meele.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 11:50:11 pm »

Go forth and live like no kobold was ever meant to live, Deebus!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 12:15:39 am »

Yeah, throwing is always a good idea as an adventurer. Unfortunately, that cave was empty. Also, if you could, I'd like to see your drawing of a young, storm-tossed kobold stranded far from home with naught but a spear, a backpack, and his clothes.

Knowing he should probably find something to eat, Deebus left the burrow and set out looking for animals. After about half an hour going northeast, though, he found the snow abruptly ended, and the land began sloping up. Curious, he crept up the slope some ways. The ground seemed to have green grass, and that was a good sign. Maybe this was the way home?

Suddenly, a big red thing splattered right at his feet. Looking down, he saw a pool of red, mucus-like ooze. Soon, more began to splat around him and a horrid smell began to fill the air.
Back in the cave, they had heard legends of the mountains. The great stacks of rock, rising up to the clouds. The mountains where horrid mucus rained on the foothills. The mountains where We Must Never Go. A big glob of red slapped into his back. Deebus dashed back to the snow, leaping into the banks and rolling until all the horrible red slime was cleaned off; the stories warned of its ill effects. After dusting the snow out of his tunic, Deebus looked back at the slope and a thought occurred. No one back home knew what direction the mountains were from the Distinct Sweetness. To get back home, he may just have to cross the mountains.

Deebus wandered back into snowy plain. He was surprised to reach the entrance to the burrow so soon, but he was feeling more and more the need to get out of the cold. Climbing down into the hole, though, something didn't seem right.

Deebus almost panicked and bolted for it, but then he realized that the voracious cave crawler hadn't seen him yet. He was just about to creep back out when his stomach growled again. That draltha heart wouldn't last very long, and he had already killed something bigger than him once that day. He had rather liked cave crawler meat when he'd had it once, long ago. Maybe fortune would favor him again that day...

The Voracious Cave Crawler Damse woke suddenly as Deebus approached from behind, rearing up and showing it's rows upon rows of razor-like teeth. Deebus was nearly paralyzed with terror, but enough of his bravado remained to roll out of the way when the beast slammed its mouth down. Before it could recover, he jammed the spear into it's tail, lodging it firmly into Damse's side. Damse spun around and chomped down on Deebus in the arm, causing him to fall over. As Damse reared up to prepare the death blow, Deebus saw his chance and knew it would be the only one. The horrible mouth came speeding towards him. Deebus lifted his spear.
Realizing he wan't dead, Deebus opened his eyes. The first thing they saw was rows upon rows of razor-like teeth. The second thing they saw was the shaft of the spear disappearing into the top of the mouth, with dark, almost black blood beginning to pour and pool. He crawled out from under the corpse and freed his spear. Using the side of the spearhead, he began to messily hack pieces off the carcass. Deebus was that hungry.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:25:44 pm by HugoLuman »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 01:10:45 am »

Was it seriously that short a fight? Cave crawlers are nasty things...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 01:11:53 am »

Was it seriously that short a fight? Cave crawlers are nasty things...
I got very, very lucky. I hope I don't run into one again, they have made short work of my steel-clad human adventurers before.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 09:43:22 am »

This Kobold is slowly mastering the art of mammoth hunting:

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 07:11:32 pm »

Heh. I'll have to try and find some mammoths after seeing that. If I genned with the right mod folder, that is. I can't remember. If not, it's more likely I'll find daleks.

BTW, I always imagined kobolds as looking kinda like house-elfs.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 10:24:45 pm »

I now picture Gringotts Goblins invading Dwarven Forts. Or perhaps they are the Dwarves. Harry Potter mod anyone?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54