Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retired fort in anarchy  (Read 2199 times)

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Retired fort in anarchy
« on: December 16, 2015, 08:36:04 am »

I thought I made a nice stable fotress so I retired it and visited as an adventurer. I haven't played adventure mode since 0.34 and even that was mostly wandering the wilderness and discovering the many ways to die.

I start off on the outskirts of my old fortress. I hear some of the piglets rolling about in the grass. I pass by a member of my old militia and have a little chat, interested to hear how they feel about life. She mentioned the current leadership feels pretty secure. Fortress life seems to still be bustling. As I near the entrance I see carpenters and miners going in and out. But there's something not quite right. I hear my dwarves shouting "There's fighting! What is it this time" "There's battle! What is it this time."

I get the hint that this is more than a simple scuffle as I push my way past fleeing dwarves with missing limbs. Once into the fortress proper I find the halls completely decked in blood. Panicked shouting and injured dwarves everywhere but still no immediate hint of what happened. I make my way into the dormitories and find a militia captain and an axe lord fighting each other in vicious combat as one tries to bite the other's head. Dead bodies lie all around. I can't help but remember that the dormitories were where the children used to like to play while the adults frequented the tavern. Another civilian stands to the side saying "Death is all around us... I am not upset by this."

This becomes the common refrain of the fortress. "Death is all around us... I am not upset by this" repeated by all dwarves running about. I find another pair of axedwarves locked in combat with each other. As I make my way to the forges my adventurer sees fit to hit a child that got in the way with her battleaxe. Said child was a daughter of the baroness I installed, a dwarf raised with goblin values and wishes to rule the world. I wanted to see what happened. Is this the result?

I arm my adventurer in full steel equipment. I feel like I've walked into a tantrum spiral of old. Any idea how I'd go about investigating what exactly happened here?

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Retired fort in anarchy
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 11:01:45 am »

Pick a side, fight with them until victory, then talk about it and get their reactions.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 11:50:33 am »

I've been having something similar in my own adventure mode playthroughs, but I haven't tried checking in on my own forts yet.  What happens is I'll make a character, start in whatever civilization is available(been playing animal men).  If I start in a Hamlet, doesn't seem to be much of an issue, but if I start in a fortress of some kind, doesn't seem to matter which race the fortress belongs too, there's always fighting alerts, with elves, dwarves and goblins running around.  None are hostile to me and I can't ever usually find what's causing it, so it's leading me to believe there are still bugs to be worked out with multi-racial forts.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 12:13:17 pm »

oh those insurgents taking place in forts now seems like a big thing. though does this mean there's a site you can take over in dwarf forts now?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 01:37:26 pm »

Unfortunately I decided to give them a little time to sort themselves out and got eaten by a giant cave spider. Before that, I talked a bit more with some of the residents and they considered the combatants as just murderers. Checking in legends afterwards labels them as murders. Around 67 dwarves were killed and roughly half of the main population now listed as dwarf outcasts (mixed in with visiting dwarves I suppose). Oh, and my adventurer claims that child was the one that attacked her (greedo shot first). 

Update: I sent in another adventurer. I manage to have a friendly chat one of my starting dwarves I nicknamed 'pewter', who according to legends scored the first kill in this civil war. Some questions revealed that although the group running the fort were comrades, the baroness was his enemy after performing some violent act on another dwarf. Another passing militia dwarf said the same about the baroness, although they also said 'pewter' was also their enemy after killing someone. Sounds like a loyalty cascade to me. Time to go to the throne room and talk to the baroness herself. I find her sitting on her throne:

I think I may have found the problem. I have a baroness responds to the petitions of her citizens with cries of "excellent, off with her head!"
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 07:58:03 pm by blapnk »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 08:19:56 pm »

Insurrections are suuuper common now. Everywhere you visit almost will have an insurrection, some bigger than others. It seems especially bad in goblin-occupied dwarf fortresses. It seems to be what's happening here.