Stalker
- 38 (19.2%)
Kobold
- 73 (36.9%)
Guardian
- 19 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 54

Author Topic: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.  (Read 190266 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 05:31:57 am »

I look forward to seeing how long the RNG watches favourably over Deebus.

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 04:04:26 pm »

I think the RNG God has already deemed Deebus as Yeti food.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 05:49:34 pm »

I think I'll slip in some rections for adventure mode crafting. Just minor things, like making bone armor or a leather waterskin. No leather armor. Unless that seems like cheating, of course.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 08:21:47 pm »

I have plenty of simple reactions that require only a stack of bone/leather if you'd like. You'd just have to paste them over the contents of metalworking reactions such that they are using the metalworking reactions' IDs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't knwo if there's enough metalworking reactions to be repalced by these, so you might have to get choosy if you didn't have some of your own to use...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 03:33:48 am »

Can Kobolds talk to each other? Are other kobold tribes friendly?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 08:01:33 pm »

Can Kobolds talk to each other? Are other kobold tribes friendly?

They dont spawn unless you find the cave through fasttravel, and cause of [Utterances] even kobolds cant speak to kobolds, or to humans, or dwarves, or anyone.

So consider Deebus a mute/deaf kobold.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 11:14:50 pm »

That said, if anyone grabbed the save I would be grateful for some clues as to the location of Deebus's home. Clues only, mind you, because I've got to keep this story going.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 11:16:53 pm »

That said, if anyone grabbed the save I would be grateful for some clues as to the location of Deebus's home. Clues only, mind you, because I've got to keep this story going.

Copy file, retire, search him, find what civ he is, then go to that civ, it'll say the land its in. Not the exact spot though.

And guess your drawing cutebolds now, according to the poll.

.......BEDTIME STORIES ABOUT DEEBUS FOR THE KOBOLD? :3
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 11:23:17 pm »

RETCON!!!

Debus, looking at the fallen troglodyte, realized that his head was very cold and that his large ears were dissipating heat entirely too rapidly (though he didn't realize it in as many words). So he scalped it with his spear and placed the nifty new toupe upon his head. Thus he became known in kobold legends as "that one guy with the black hair"

And he lived continually until future developments (ever after)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 09:37:31 pm »

Added reactions for more survivability!
Anyways...

Deebus had wanted to go hunting with the other adults one day. He had practiced the skills when he was a kid, and consequently the task of skinning game often came down to him. He also often helped the elderly kobolds with chewing the hide into leather and making clothes. So, it was with little difficulty that he skinned the voracious cave crawler and wrapped the hide about him for a cloak. After the pounding-heart feeling (or adrenaline rush, as we say) and the confusion wore off, it was really starting to become apparent that he was in the middle of a snowy plain with nothing but a loincloth and a tunic on his skin. Thinking also of his hunger, he cut off 15 or so chunks of meat from the carcass; what he deemed would be enough to carry. That left him with 19 total portions of food (since he had eaten one of the 5 chunks of draltha heart.)
He left the little burrow to go back and see what there was to be scavenged from the troglodyte's den. After all that had seemed to happen to him, he couldn't believe that it was still before noon!
When he reached the site of the other den again, he saw something sticking out of the snow some 15 feet away from where the storm had landed him. Picking it up, he once more could not believe his luck; the iron shield from his home! Deebus had thought it was lost in the storm, but it had only been separated from him by a small distance. He happily affixed it to his arm and walked away, happy to have something to protect him in this strange place.
Searching the den showed up only pieces of troglodyte scattered during the fight an hour before, so Deebus left the place. With the day still young, Deebus resolved to head as far north as possible; the northern end of the world was the greener one (as the tales told). With some difficulty he also recalled the tale about which way north was from the rising sun. He thought for a moment about leaving the only sure shelter for miles around, but then he had a suspicion that such holes might be frequent.
All during this travel, the mountains had appeared over the horizon. Though he had stumbled upon their foothills earlier, seeing the mountains themselves looming ever higher as he traveled put a sort of dread upon his heart. How could ANYTHING be so big? They scared him, but they also put a sense of wonder into him. Mountains! This could be shaping up to be a real adventure, after all. So, he kept on walking, hoping to reach a green place before he reached the mountains.
At around noon, Deebus came to a place where the snow thinned out, with green grass and thicker (though still sparse) trees ahead. The mountains were not in fact directly north. Here, they were close by, stretching all the way back to the east of him and the northeast, but this green country ran alongside it to the west. His northward journey would not be taking him up the evil peaks.
However, there were other things to fear than mountains. Entering the wooded plains, Deebus was greeted with the sight of yet more terrifying creatures. They were huge and sleek, with big black eyes on the sides of their heads; eyes with a wild look in them, a look like they might become mad at a moments notice and destroy you. They were muscled beyond belief, and pounded the ground with their strange, stone-like feet. They had long manes of hair running down their necks, and tails alike. And when they snorted, deebus could see their huge, slab-like teeth. He had heard legends from far-off places of these creatures, and the vivid stories left no mistake as to what these horrors were:

Deebus tried to sneak past it, but sneaking, the greatest natural defense of kobolds, failed him. The beasts spotted him and let out the most terrible sound he had ever heard. Most of them seemed to panic and scattered, but the biggest one charged straight at him. She reared up on her hind legs to impale Deebus with her hooves, nearly paralyzing him. He steeled himself, though, and dived out of the way. Her eyes bulging with utter madness, the horse snapped at deebus with foaming jaws. This he barely blocked with the iron shield. Deebus jumped to the left of the horse and drove his spear into her side. This didn't seem to slow her down at all though, as she promptly turned about and kicked him with her back leg. This he caught nearly square in the hip, sending him backwards. There was a searing pain in his leg, and a feeling like something out of place, something bending which shouldn't. Deebus screamed, feeling like he was about to die. He recovered himself, though, moving out of the way before he actually did. Overcome by pain, Deebus knew he couldn't dodge many more blows. Looking up, however, Deebus saw that the horse was limping off, bleeding profusely from the side.
The pain in his leg was nearly unbearable. Though he did not know it, Deebus had an uncommonly high tolerance for pain, so with an injury that would have driven other kobolds to unconsciousness Deebus dragged himself to a hollow in the hillside. In his pain-clouded mind Deebus still knew that he would probably be there for a while. He light some fires around him to ward off the evil spirits who were said to come in the night, and probed at his leg. It felt like one of the bones was out of place, as if there was a gap between his groin and the top of his leg. He wasn't a medicine elder, so he couldn't feel sure, but the bone didn't seem broken. This didn't seem quite as bad, so he attempted to jam the bone back into place. Feeling a pop and a searing pain, Deebus knew no more.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:28:44 pm by HugoLuman »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 09:41:39 pm »

I thought he found a ogre for a second.

A horse. Wow.

TELL ME MORE GRANDPAPPY!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 11:16:31 pm »

Day 2

Deebus awoke to find the world dark, with a great orangeness in the east. He found that he could stand once more, with only a small sore discomfort in the hip, but also that his shoulder was sore and that his left hand hurt quite badly. Looking at it, he was shocked to see that the little finger was bent almost backwards. How had he not noticed that yesterday? Had the pain of his leg really blotted out his other injuries?
Creeping along, fearful of being attacked at any moment and devoured by horses, Deebus continued his journey. He didn't need to fear for too long, however, as it was he who discovered the horse (and not the other way around.) She was standing, seemingly alone but possibly with other fiends waiting in ambush. She had a large scab on the side of her body; it was the one from yesterday! Deebus could see on her back hoof, still stained with his own blood.
It was then that the strangest of things happened. Deebus looked down upon the beast that nearly killed him only a sunrise ago. A beast that, by all rights and reasons for kobolds, he should flee; but a beast that had wronged him too. Maybe it was that it was wounded. Maybe it was the fact that he'd killed two things before breakfast yesterday. Whatever it was, though, Deebus felt something new that day, something that made him master his fear. He knew one thing: the horse must die.
Like any kobold, Deebus knew that picking a fight with something larger than himself was a quick way to get killed. There were many creatures in the world that would gladly tear a kobold limb from limb and scatter their guts in the dirt, laughing at the pain. Creatures that kobolds should avoid at all costs. Now Deebus saw a chance to make a world with one less of those creatures.
Creeping up behind the horse, Deebus readied for a strike. Sensing danger, the horse kicked him in the chest. The blow didn't hit quite right, though, and only served to send him flying backwards. The horse charged at him, but he ducked under her and stabbed her in the belly. Her guts torn, the horse spewed vomit and then looked at Deebus with eyes of pure hatred. Now she was enraged.
The horse kicked Deebus away again, pulling the spear from her belly, but as she stood over him again Deebus jabbed her in the side of the head, chipping the skull. This made the horse vomit again, giving him time to stand up. Before the horse could recover, Deebus stabbed her in the front of the chest, producing a huge jet of blood as the heart was grazed. Now it was only a matter of time. The horse could still strike him down, though.
The horse continued to try to pound Deebus into the ground with her hooves, fueled no doubt by it's demonic malice. Deebus only continued to stab it in the guts each time it reared, however, and soon it fell over in sheer pain. He struck her in the head, fracturing her skull. Finally, he raised his spear high over his head and brought it down upon her throat.

After butchering the beast, Deebus made a pouch from her hide for putting snow it. He'd need something to drink after this, and horse blood didn't seem too appetizing. Then he had another idea.
Deebus skinned the head and took her skull. The beast that nearly took his head would now protect it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:30:11 pm by HugoLuman »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 11:23:19 pm »

OOOOOOH. HE KILLED A HORSE?

Is this another tall-tale grandpa? Like the one about the pup that struck down a dragon.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 11:30:51 pm »

Is this another tall-tale grandpa? Like the one about the pup that struck down a dragon.
Nope, he really killed it. And it damn near killed him, too.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 11:33:16 pm »

Nope, he really killed it. And it damn near killed him, too.

Did Deebus ever get home? And why did he get a toupe?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 54