Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [POLL] Preferred Mafia Gametypes - Please share  (Read 7086 times)

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: [POLL] Preferred Mafia Gametypes - Please share
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 09:30:58 pm »

Paranormal has a pretty strong set of roles, yeah.  One thing we don't really seem to have much of is closed setups that aren't BYORs or bastards, which can be kindof cool.

I actually prefer games where the possible roles are known; it allows for more cunning strategy. Knowing ahead of time what you may be up against gives it a more tactical feeling. That's one of the reasons I prefer Paranormals to Supernaturals, within the Meph-Universe. Not that I scoff on closed setups like BYORs, but the more open the better, I think (as long as there's some variety beyond the standard doctor/cop/godfather/blocker).

Which reminds me: one thing I really don't like, and I'm very very glad games here never seem to have, are messed up sanities. Paranoid/naive cops are stupid. If I get an action response from the mod, I like knowing I can trust it. Thanks mods for not messing with that.

Mafiascum has some interesting ideas.  Two that jump out is one that each team had an overlord that could buy abilities for his team, and another where the power roles were auctioned off between mafia and town.

Which also reminds me, on the topic of "buying" abilities: whatever happened to those roguelikes you were running? They seemed to be a lot of fun, and I wouldn't mind playing one.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 07:49:31 am »

I've been running other games instead.  I'll put RM4 on the short list for my next game.

[They're also a ton of work to mod- I might cut the flavor bit for finding an item, as it's usually some variant of "you kill X monster and get an item" or "you trip over a rock and find Y."]
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 08:12:16 am »

Fuck RMs, let's try that overlord idea.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 08:15:33 am »

Actually, I think part of the appeal was that neither side knew that role existed.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 01:17:17 pm »

I think flavour is most important to me. I play mafia to have fun, and flavour is the best way to do that.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 02:09:28 pm »

Added summary section to the top.  Thanks for contributing so far, everyone!  Anyone lurking about is welcome to share anything they'd like, even if you haven't played much at all. 

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 06:07:25 pm »

I'm amused that Paranormal is being referred to as a category.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 07:33:10 pm »

There have been over 20 Paranormal games, there are Paranormal spinoffs... I think we can call it a category now, personally.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 10:28:44 pm »

It's not a category- it's a sensation.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 04:11:33 am »

This subforum should be renamed to 'Paranormal Mafia and some other kinds too'.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 01:07:55 am »

I like light bastards/puzzles (there needs to be some guidance or way to figure out the puzzle, so that we're still playing mafia with each other).  My favorite is still Rysith's Semi-Bastard.  On the other hand, sometimes it's fun to play something completely obtuse, like Neruz's Bastard game.

I also like playing mountainous games with activity/experience entrance requirements.  BMs are a special kind of fun, but I don't really want to play a BM unless I know it's a BM (read: I, too, think it is not fun to play a mountainous game that is mostly nub without understanding that the goal is not to scunt hum, but to teach).

BYORs with carefully balanced mechanics are also entertaining.

Basically, I like my setups fairly simple and open (though as I count "Cybrid" as fairly simple, YMMV) or complex, albeit carefully balanced, and closed.  It should be clear to everyone what their role is, and everyone who has a power role should have some risk or careful thinking that's suggested by the role.  The VTs should not be in a situation where they're so outnumbered that they feel completely useless.

I'm really into novelty, except for my petulant love of mountainous games which are expected to have novelty created by the players.  As long as the feeling is fresh but recognizable as mafia, I'll play it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 [2]