Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What has Dwarf Fortress taught you?  (Read 4215 times)

zemagris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What has Dwarf Fortress taught you?
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:02:15 pm »

I was playing around in fortress mode today, when a thought struck me. I went and checked on Wikipedia, and it turns out that playing DF taught me things like Sphalerite is an ore of zinc, and Tetrahedrite is an ore of copper, though it may contain up to 20% silver. I thought it was really cool I could actually remember those things, so I wanted to ask. What has playing Dwarf Fortress taught you?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What has Dwarf Fortress taught you?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:15:09 pm »

Dwarf Fortress replaced my Geological, Physiological, Social, and Psychological teachers.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 12:28:09 am »

A whole lot of geology, that's for sure.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 12:53:07 am »

That babies and the ill are worthless to society and do not contribute to anything, so they must be thrown into a pit of magma before they can make friends.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 01:47:54 am »

You can loose weight fast by dipping your limbs into extreamly hot liquids.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:00:13 am »

The secrets of life and death.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 02:48:30 am »

Not sure about DF in itself (has mainly corrupted my ethics), but Bay12 has taught me a lot of tolerance, believe it or not.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 04:04:12 am »

How to lose gracefully

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 04:55:44 am »

Not sure about DF in itself (has mainly corrupted my ethics), but Bay12 has taught me a lot of tolerance, believe it or not.
This basically.

And that Elves are gay.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 05:09:49 am »

I learned a lot about making mirror glass when I made a mod for it. My dwarves did a lot of mercury smelting that day.

CandyTophat

• Bay Watcher
  • Pixels!
    • View Profile
    • The kindom of loathing!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 06:01:30 am »

It made me more patient
Dwarf fortress ethics.
Of course there's an ethical way to train doctors! Toss children off short cliffs. Since they're not useful adults, injuring them isn't a waste of valuable labor, and since they're not nobles, it's ethical to use short cliffs instead of tall ones!

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 10:06:34 am »

Its perfectly acceptable to surf over a bed of spikes on the back of your baby, but only if its into the surging masses of a goblin siege party.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 10:13:23 am »

it made me doesn't really care about anything anymore.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 10:19:56 am »

It has taught me a million different kinds of animals, and that sponges should be feared...

Washing dishes is much harder now.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 11:09:55 am »

My GF got an interview at a super prestigious place, and the guy hiring her sent her a weird questionnaire with a ton of different types of questions (including pop culture, science, history, and non-pop culture) and thought experiments, to be filled out without the aid of the internet.

One of the questions, which she later told me she had no idea how to answer, was:
"Explain what 1 of the following is: Lucius Cinna*, [some other word with "cinna" in it], and cinnabar."

Anyway, I was pretty psyched that I knew what cinnabar was. And it's all due to DF.

*turns out he's a character in a Shakespeare play.
Pages: [1] 2