Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What has Dwarf Fortress taught you?  (Read 4214 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: What has Dwarf Fortress taught you?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 11:40:15 am »

Not sure about DF in itself (has mainly corrupted my ethics), but Bay12 has taught me a lot of tolerance, believe it or not.
Same here. One of the most useful things  I've learned from DF is that cats and dogs are an execellent emergency food supply.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:30:04 pm by peskyninja »
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 11:55:06 am »

It taught me how to kill people I don't like and make it look like a very unfortunate accident.

It also made me not want to walk under drawbridges anymore. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 11:55:54 am »

Not sure about DF in itself (has mainly corrupted my ethics), but Bay12 has taught me a lot of tolerance, believe it or not.
Same here.One of the most usefull things  I've learned from DF that cats and dogs are an execellent emergency food supply.
I've never looked at animals the same way again.

Nom nom.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 02:32:13 pm »

Its perfectly acceptable to surf over a bed of spikes on the back of your baby, but only if its into the surging masses of a goblin siege party.
Oh man, I forgot about that picture. Does anyone know where it is? I'd love to see it again.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 07:59:31 am »

That babies and the ill are worthless to society and do not contribute to anything, so they must be thrown into a pit of magma before they can make friends.

I always felt like this about the babies. But only DF rewards such an act and lets you get away with it!
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 08:52:28 am »

I've learned that saying, "Yes, but these are evil cats," to my cat as I slaughter cats works well. (Really, she doesn't mind, but used to before I came up with that phrase. Also, catnip.)

I've learned to assume that if my words do not work, magma will. (That'll persuade ya.)

More about geology - a given.

Probably more, *shrug*.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 08:57:05 am »

Frozen rivers can thaw in milliseconds.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 09:04:59 am »

Sometimes you just gotta send out the axelords and fuck shit up the old fashioned way. For all the other times, theres magma.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 09:17:36 am »

I learned that while elves might sometimes be cool and full of magic knowledge. When you want real shit to get done you want one or more dwarves.

Steel and stone is stronger than trees and fluffy animals. And if that for the moment seems to be wrong, drown said thing in magma.

Zombies are assholes.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 10:14:58 am »

My GF got an interview at a super prestigious place, and the guy hiring her sent her a weird questionnaire with a ton of different types of questions (including pop culture, science, history, and non-pop culture) and thought experiments, to be filled out without the aid of the internet.

One of the questions, which she later told me she had no idea how to answer, was:
"Explain what 1 of the following is: Lucius Cinna*, [some other word with "cinna" in it], and cinnabar."

Anyway, I was pretty psyched that I knew what cinnabar was. And it's all due to DF.

*turns out he's a character in a Shakespeare play.

Anyone else vaguely depressed that such a major historical figure has been demoted to "a character from a Shakespeare play"?

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 10:29:09 am »

Cinna was one of Julius Caesar's opposition in the senate and/or the conspiracy against his life, if I recall correct?

At least if you read the Shakespeare play you get the gist of who people were (when he's being more historical than mythological, anyway); it's when you haven't even read Shakespeare that you say "he's some character in a play" without knowing anything further. ;^)

(It's been a while since I read or attended a performance of Julius Caesar. Must remedy this, seeing as I have screennamed myself after the best character in the opening scene.)

On-topic, DF has brought home to me that life is just weird sometimes -- which I sorta knew already, but I think I accept the fact better now. The traps that don't work and end up flooding your own fortress with magma (when the doors are all open and there's no enemy to be swept out of the main hall as the trap was intended to do, for instance), the loyalty cascades, the prized treasures getting lost only to turn up at a kobold yard sale years later, the funky graphics, the fact that until a week or two from now you still have to haul items one by one, the stopping to get a drink only to realize you can't pick up a glass of water because you lost your arm in battle, the badgers, the fact that somebody interrupted by badgers can pick ten different tasks to try to fulfill (and consequently suspend the attempt to build an entire wall) because he thinks of something else to try to do every time he gets interrupted...

...and giant mosquitoes are nasty, but I knew that from real life before too.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.
Pages: 1 [2]