Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: So, I wanted to apologize for kicking your dog...  (Read 25986 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: So, I wanted to apologize for kicking your dog...
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2012, 07:20:42 pm »

Is it possible to make someone a historical figure then kill them, or do you only become historical in Legends Mode?  I'm thinking like infecting them with Lycanthropy could do the trick.

Doesn't work that way - those characters are randomly generated in the same way that the inside walls of a tower are generated.  There is a seed that is stored to generate a town without actually having to save any data on what's in the town to save storage space.  The game then just stores changes to that data, like if you drop a spear on the ground or something, so it will just generate the town again from scratch, then add a spear on the ground.

The game doesn't do this for population pool characters, however.  Kill them, take them with you as companions, profess your undying love to them, doesn't matter, they'll be randomly generated again each time you walk into town, even if they're still following you at the time.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2012, 08:47:38 pm »

Does that mean I can have an army of clones?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2012, 09:10:46 pm »

Does that mean I can have an army of clones?

Yes.

In fact, you can hire a companion, fast travel one step, then step back, drop out of fast travel, and hire the same person.

I have four of the same person in my party right now after just testing that.

This is already a bug report as well.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2012, 07:16:47 am »

In fact, you can hire a companion, fast travel one step, then step back, drop out of fast travel, and hire the same person.

Is the step required? Did you test just entering and leaving fast travel? (Can't test myself atm)
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2012, 10:53:45 am »

I swear it's possible to deplete a castle of its soldiers, though?  Or are soldiers in keeps actually historical?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2012, 10:56:07 am »

Is the step required? Did you test just entering and leaving fast travel? (Can't test myself atm)

Merely entering fast travel does not offload the map.

You can enter fast travel, and then exit fast travel in the exact same position and situation as when you entered it.

I swear it's possible to deplete a castle of its soldiers, though?  Or are soldiers in keeps actually historical?

They can be historical, especially if they are not the primary race of their civ, or are legendary in anything, or the like. 

However, soldiers can also be generic - and these are typically the ones that have generic equipment (no trophies from kills, no quality on their equipment, etc.) and have no history behind them when you ask about their profession.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Zavador

• Bay Watcher
  • Can't step through a door without mudering somone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2012, 01:19:43 am »

Adventure Mode is in pre-Proof-Of-Concept stages.  You can't walk 4 steps without hitting an "under construction" sign.  Most of the problems you run into are just things that aren't implemented yet.

Naturally I don't hold any of the weirdness that crops up in adventure mode against it (ditto for fortress mode).  It's been said before, and I agree, that all of the absurdity and madness give DF a lot of charm.  I had actually played a lot of DF2010 fortress mode and become accustomed to the game's quirks.  However, I only messed with adventure mode a little before this release, and all I had done was make generic adventurers and run the prescribed quests until I got an unlucky round and wound up dead or maimed.  So, the only thing that really threw me for a loop in all this was hearing that non-historical NPCs just keep re-genning with the town (mostly since I'd heard of adventurers depopulating the world and sending it into the twilight era before).

Oh, and also walking through the door and insta-decapitating that tanner was hilariously surprising.  My brother and I had a laugh trying to come up with a plausible in-character explanation for that little event.  I would have done the whole post from the adventurer's point of view, but for the fact that we never really thought of a good one.  As a result the whole thing turned out kind of half-in and half-out of character, with my ignorance as the player somewhat embellished.  Truth told, I was only going over to that first house to check if the town was hostile to me after attacking that dog, and I kind of expected they would be after having to confirm my attack (although you have to confirm attacks against neutral wildlife as well).  Everything that followed was me acting as I thought my rational adventurer might.

Anyway, it only takes a little meta-thinking to form expectations about how the game will respond to most actions, and there isn't a whole lot of adventure mode content yet, so it can be pretty boring to play things the way you're expected to.  However, as I've found now, there's some real fun to be had in adventure mode, just follow these steps:
1. Forget meta-thinking, get in character and do something the game isn't designed to handle yet.
2. Try to play it out like a rational person would.
3. Laugh as the madness rises.
4. Post it on the internet for others to enjoy.

Of course, things won't always be this way, since Toady's stated(?) goal is almost the antithesis of this method of play.  In the final release, players will enter the game with meta-expectations borrowed from other games/past experiences, only to have them exceeded and shattered by the extreme nuance and detail put into the world and its ability to realistically handle your character's actions.  It's an admirable goal, I think, but the game is fun either way.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:21:28 am by Zavador »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2012, 11:43:09 am »

I would have done the whole post from the adventurer's point of view, but for the fact that we never really thought of a good one.  As a result the whole thing turned out kind of half-in and half-out of character, with my ignorance as the player somewhat embellished.  Truth told, I was only going over to that first house to check if the town was hostile to me after attacking that dog, and I kind of expected they would be after having to confirm my attack (although you have to confirm attacks against neutral wildlife as well).  Everything that followed was me acting as I thought my rational adventurer might.

I kind of think of one episode of The Slayers (anime) that had Zelgado trying to knock some bandits unconscious.  He rushed past the bandits, who stopped and keeled over.  Zelgado then said, in the style of old samurai movies, "Don't worry, I only used the back of the blade."  Then the bandits all start bleeding profusely and die, Zelgado looks down and says, "Oh, whoops! This is a two-sided blade!"  He forgot that it was a Western-style fantasy.

Part of the problem is that adventurers have obscene monkey-grip action, where they can hold and skillfully wield infinite objects in one hand, and as such, never drop things, just for convenience.  So, I walk around with a crossbow and a knife (for butchering) in one hand, a shield in the other.  Sure, it's an abuse of a bug, but it's too much of a hassle to put my crossbow away, pull out a knife, skin the target, put the knife back, take my crossbow back out. 

Maybe your adventurer just forgot he had a sword in his hand while opening the door with that sword, and accidentally swung it into the neck of the guy who was just about to walk to the door on the other side?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2012, 03:58:54 pm »

Anyway, DF is makes the transition from playing a hero to playing a monster unbelievably smooth. One moment, you are embarking on a heroic quest to get the land rid of a horrible dragon or a troll, and before you know it, you are slaughtering everyone in every city you pass through because some trivial misunderstanding about kicking a door and its owner open.

Hey one civilization's "Hero" is anther's Blood thirsty monster bent on genocide and remember that it's the victors that make the history books.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2012, 08:36:18 pm »

I tried with a necromancer.

The castle had 18 inhabitants, I reanimated over twenty five different dudes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]