Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Find Shops in 0.34?  (Read 2261 times)

How to Find Shops in 0.34?
« on: April 11, 2012, 07:35:37 am »

The last time I played DF, I think it was like 0.31.25 or something. Not a lot has changed, but enough has changed that now I am lost.

Finding shops used to be simple. Just look for yellow squares in towns. But now every town is made of yellow squares! The only "shops" I have found is, in the biggest city in my current world, there's a huge flea market (or whatever) right outside the keep. They don't have anything worthwhile and I don't want to sell my items to them since I see no gold chests anywhere.

Is there a good way to find shops now? Or must I be forced to wander aimlessly until I stumble upon one?

On another note: Is there a page somewhere I can see all changes specific to Adventure mode? Right now the only things I have seen different are obvious things like being able to accuse people of being a night creature and the "town" maps, as well as the need to eat and drink.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: How to Find Shops in 0.34?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:45:01 am »

Only "Towns" have shops, not villages. You should be told what's nearby on the travel menu as you walk around, eg. Weaponsmith's Shop, Clothing Shop, etc.

For changes information here might help.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:22:21 am »

Don't bother. All they're selling is cat leather amulets. Go to a keep in the middle of a town or fortress and grab the stuff lying around. Tombs have lots of slightly better items, but you'll likely get the cursties and died.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:46:34 am »

I managed to find all the shops in this town.

I can't say this for certain, but in this world it seems that shops only appear around the Keep.

I do like the undocumented change of how trading works now. I don't have to drop my items on a table and take what items I want from the shelves anymore, meaning there's no chance I can buy something and then forget to grab it or grab an item and forget to pay for it XD

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:13:31 am »

Theft is one of the best viable means to get yourself equipped.  The civ does not become hostile or uncooperative now.  Forts and Town Castles are the best places to "borrow" equipment.  Tombs work too if you have a very high level of Ambushing.
I play games of games inside games in my head.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:48:21 am »

Whaaaaaat?!

That can't be true... I did notice SOME places do not count taking their items as theft, such as things you find in Fortresses and the homes of non-merchant NPCs. But I tried to take some things off the table in the flea market I mentioned and unlike the other items I took from the houses/fortresses, it wouldn't let me fast travel with it until I dropped it, saying that if I did leave it would turn them hostile. I didn't actually try to leave the site with them though...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 03:41:09 pm »

if it got the $ signs it's for sale and counts as theft. It shouldn't be a surprise that things at a MARKET would be for sale and not free to take.

I must say that I am impressed that they give you a warning now
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 06:45:19 pm »

These are all bugs.  Vote here for the worst bugs to try to get Toady to pay attention to your own personal pet peeve bug.

Bug #5611: Cities overwhelmingly build textile industry shops, almost never wood, stone, or metal-related shops - results in nearly no weapons/armor for sale.

Bug #5263: Abandoned shops not reclaimed - Older towns are almost entirely abandoned in spite of Legends listing population in thousands

Together, these two bugs mean that almost all shops are abandoned, and the few that do exist are meat shops.

Meanwhile, you can just steal your clothing out of houses, because only shop merchandise is marked as "owned", so you can take anything from a normal house without repercussion.  (Just steal the stack of 96 fisher berries for food instead of buying things.)  You can also just take goods lying around the keep.

No need for money at all, there's nothing worth buying in any shop, and you can just find all the goods you will ever need just lying around.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 07:49:30 pm »

Like said before, you can only find shops in the towns -- places with the walls and keep in the center. The dumpy-ass hamlets you always start in are nothing but houses and farmland for miles around.