Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can i make creatures wield weapons during sieges  (Read 2096 times)

Hasse

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining Dwarf, always mines, nothing else!
    • View Profile
Can i make creatures wield weapons during sieges
« on: July 19, 2013, 06:17:47 am »

Is it possible to make a troll who comes with goblin sieges wield clubs?

if i put like natural skill for trolls club proficient will the trolls have clubs when they come to my sieges?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can i make creatures wield weapons during sieges
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:35:50 am »

I don't think it will, but then I'm not an expert.

As I understand it the trolls goblins bring don't count as proper people but as animals instead (as far as the goblin civ is concerned) so they don't get weapons or armour of their own.

You might as well give it a try and see if it works though, if it works it works and if it doesn't then it causes no harm to the normal function of trolls.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:39:47 am »

I've seen mods add weapons to creatures as body parts. So you'd get an troll with a wooden "club" connected to his hand which he has attacks associated with. It's not ideal.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:52:04 pm »

I've seen ogres with clothes among goblin sieges. DOesen't seem like they would be total animals.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:12:59 pm »

I recall that embarking with a bunch of pet gremlins caused them to have clothes, crossbows and ammunition. And due to a natural skill, a ranger profession. I dont recall which one.

So, possibly it could work with a natural skill! Note that it might also cause them to wear armor, which will likely weight them down a LOT since its size and weight scale directely with the creatures size, whereas carrying capacity does not. Getting only them to use wooden weapons likely wont work either, not without making all the goblins use wood as well.

Still... plate armored, mace wielding trolls does sounds like a pretty hardcore player challenge.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 10:38:55 am »

What you can do is make trolls a caste within the goblin creature, then give the troll-caste a natural skill for mace-usage. This way all "mace-goblins" that show up are actually trolls. It causes all sorts of problems when done to a playable civ, but for invaders it is no problem. One can mix many races like this to one army, with each different caste having a different combat-skill, resulting in different equipment when attacking, and a fitting creature sprite.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hasse

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining Dwarf, always mines, nothing else!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 07:24:45 am »

What you can do is make trolls a caste within the goblin creature, then give the troll-caste a natural skill for mace-usage. This way all "mace-goblins" that show up are actually trolls. It causes all sorts of problems when done to a playable civ, but for invaders it is no problem. One can mix many races like this to one army, with each different caste having a different combat-skill, resulting in different equipment when attacking, and a fitting creature sprite.

i guess i could do this :)

but if i have like cave trolls as a normal creature and the same cave troll as a caste would that mess things up?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 01:35:18 pm »

It should work fine, since the caste one counts as a goblin as far as the RAWs know while the others count as true trolls. The trolls in the Gob civ will probably come wearing helmets and breastplates as well as weapons though.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.