Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Dwarf Builder 0.34.11v14 for Mac OSX  (Read 65340 times)

the_somnambulist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Builder 0.34.11v14 for Mac OSX
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2012, 08:19:26 pm »

I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure out why my Dwarf Builder installed copy of Dwarf Fortress was crashing on launch. Wiped DF clean, reinstalled Dwarf Builder, etc. with no luck.

The ultimate culprit? Bluetooth. If Bluetooth is on, it crashes on startup.

PM me if you want a crash log.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2012, 08:25:16 pm »

This looks a fantastically useful utility, but I can't seem to get it to work.

The application itself loads and runs fine, and it creates the Dwarf Fortress app. But the Dwarf Fortress app itself doesn't work. The screen goes black for a split second, the desktop comes back, and nothing more happens, with the app registering as not responding. I've tried redownloading and also running it from both the desktop and the Applications folder, with the same result.

I'm using a 2012 Macbook Pro running Mountain Lion. Could it be an OS incompatibility? I see that almost all the discussion on this thread predates Mountain Lion's release.

I've had this happen on Lion when I set DF to run in full-screen. Apparently Lion's new full screen mode isn't compatible with DF anymore :( Turning it off in init.txt seems to work.

DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Builder 0.34.09v12 for Mac OSX
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2012, 08:30:47 pm »

So here's what I did...

- Grabbed Dwarf Builder 12 and yesterday's Jolly Bastion update.
- Replaced jolly_square and jolly_tall in Dwarf Builder with the newer Jolly Bastion.
- Built the app.
- Copied the save folder from my Dwarf Builder 11 app (which was a carryover from DF 0.34.07, but loaded fine in 0.34.08).
- Ran the app

When trying to load, a white box appears in the middle of the screen and the app dies.  Have I done something wrong or is this just "hey idiot, your save isn't compatible"?

Is there a title bar or just a white box? When this happened to me, it was a plain white box with no title bar or any other icons or text.

From the log messages, this looks like an error message and is probably a save-compatibility issue. I experienced this when trying to install an incompatible mod. It should display an actual error message, but for some reason it hangs when trying to open the dialog. So yes, this is probably just a compatibility issue... :(

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

JonathanCR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2012, 11:57:31 am »

This looks a fantastically useful utility, but I can't seem to get it to work.

The application itself loads and runs fine, and it creates the Dwarf Fortress app. But the Dwarf Fortress app itself doesn't work. The screen goes black for a split second, the desktop comes back, and nothing more happens, with the app registering as not responding. I've tried redownloading and also running it from both the desktop and the Applications folder, with the same result.

I'm using a 2012 Macbook Pro running Mountain Lion. Could it be an OS incompatibility? I see that almost all the discussion on this thread predates Mountain Lion's release.

I've had this happen on Lion when I set DF to run in full-screen. Apparently Lion's new full screen mode isn't compatible with DF anymore :( Turning it off in init.txt seems to work.

Thanks very much! This seems to have done the trick for me.

Livingstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2012, 08:31:31 am »

The ultimate culprit? Bluetooth. If Bluetooth is on, it crashes on startup.
Well hot damn, thanks a bunch!

For searching purposes
Mac OS X 10.8.2. Mountain Lion
Bus error: 10

Further notice to self; apparently also true.

Grumpy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2012, 09:11:16 am »

New player here. I used DwarfBuilder.app 0.34.11 to install DF on Mac OSX 10.7.5. I can play fine. I wanted to save a game file per http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Saved_game_folder, but I can't find the folders/files. The system must be different on a mac. Is it possible to make saves? Can someone point me to instructions?

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2012, 02:05:40 pm »

New player here. I used DwarfBuilder.app 0.34.11 to install DF on Mac OSX 10.7.5. I can play fine. I wanted to save a game file per http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Saved_game_folder, but I can't find the folders/files. The system must be different on a mac. Is it possible to make saves? Can someone point me to instructions?

You've probably already figured this out, but just in case...

Find where your DwarfFortress.app was created.  It should be at /Applications directory if you left your settings to default.  Right click on the app in your Finder and select Browse App Contents.  Dwarf Fortress is going to be in the Contents/Resources directory.

Unrelated...

I have to say, I'm brand spanking new to DF and this little plugin is amazing.  It's exactly what I needed.  My thanks to the Dev!

malmstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2012, 03:39:15 am »

I really enjoy Dwar Builder! I would appreciate it more if it had the possibility to load the CLA tileset!!
Is it possible? Is this one:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

thanks,
Marco

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2013, 11:37:30 am »

Thanks very much! This seems to have done the trick for me.

If you (or anybody else) is interested in running full screen, there's a workaround at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5260. Basically:
  • Download SDL 1.2.15 here
  • Copy the SDL.framework folder from the disk image to <DF>/libs (you can rename or delete the existing folder, but be sure you have the new one instead)
  • Open a new Terminal window (Cmd-shift-U) and type "cd " (don't hit enter)
  • Find the <DF>/libs/SDL.framework/A/ folder drag it into the Terminal window and run the command
  • Run "install_name_tool -id @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL SDL"

DF should now have SDL 1.2.15 installed. Note that install_name_tool comes with Xcode - 4.3.3 is free on Lion with a free Apple Dev account (or if you want, download the command line tools - they'll save a lot of time & space). If you see a folder named "SDL" instead of "SDL.framework" it's probably the same thing and Terminal will copy the path correctly.

Sulacsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2013, 01:18:36 am »

Mine seems to not function with DT...

Everytime I load DT it says that it cannot talk to my version of DF.

I built the DT and the DF and they are in the same folder, and I've rebuilt both since I moved the folder to my desktop, any suggestions?

latestrevision

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2013, 12:29:11 am »

Thanks @the_somnambulist -- I, too, was searching for why I wasn't able to use DF until I stumbled upon your comment.  Bluetooth!

plaidman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2013, 03:47:09 pm »

Hey all, developer here. Just wanted to let you know the status of this project.

It's still in the very back of my mind, but I've been distracted by other things lately - other roguelikes, some android development, a new baby. I know I haven't kept up to date with the various mods, but I may do a large update when DF is updated to its next version, as long as it's not in the very near future. All the tools for development are free and the code isn't overly complicated (some conditionals and some regex) if anybody wants to try your hand at cloning the git repository and keeping things up to date.

DF is a great game but sadly I've lost time and interest in it.

whim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2013, 02:16:46 am »

DF is a great game but sadly I've lost time and interest in it.

Have you considered putting the code on GitHub? That's probably the best way to pass on the project to someone who wants to continue development. In any case, thanks for all your work!

plaidman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2013, 10:15:59 am »

The code is on GitHub: https://github.com/plaidman/dwarf-builder feel free to take a look and play around. I'll try to answer questions as fast as possible if you have any. If anybody wants to take ownership, I'll be happy to transfer the project. Or you can fork any time.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]