Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 95

Author Topic: Battlemaster a Roleplay medieval low fantasy game  (Read 160699 times)

JPierreD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battlemaster a Roleplay medieval low fantasy game
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2012, 08:17:31 pm »

Two advises:

1) Try different realms. If one proves boring, try another. You will see there are loads of differences between them, from government forms (Republics, Tyrannies, Monarchies, Theocracies), cultures (the republican Maroccidentals, the plotting Lurian realms, the merchant D'Harans, the northern Astroists, and so on), religions (check the wiki and find tons of them), and player bases.

2) Ignore people joining here only to promote their own realms. ;D

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2012, 08:18:04 pm »

Send it to everyone in the realm, for courtesy's sake. It can be a simple "I pledge to serve the Queen" or whatever, just try to roleplay it a little, announce your arrival. Oh, and be polite of course.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JPierreD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2012, 08:19:33 pm »

what should I include in my letter to the realm? and who should i address it to? are there people I should exclude?

Address every noble, if you are in Summerdale you can go with "Dalian nobility,". No need to exclude anyone. Just say you are a new noble seeking an estate, and willing to join an army.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2012, 08:34:44 pm »

sweet, well I'll see wher that gets me, thanks guys. Any other miscellaneous tips before I head to intensive ArmA II gaming?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2012, 09:10:52 pm »

K, so I signed up and stuff and now im a minor noble of Summerdale, Robert irkheart (soon to be EarnHeart), and I'm not too sure what to do next round, i've put my men through some normal training and mingled with the damnable peasentry. I'm curious is messaging the only form of communique in game? Also, I'm a bit confused (maybe I didn't read thorughly enough) how to make money; lastly, should I head to thr capital?

I saw that it correctly spawned you in Valkyrja (I assume that's where you selected). I am insanely jealous and increasingly irrationally angry about my bugged family home situation.  >:(

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2012, 09:13:07 pm »

I'm sure it just puts you in a random province within the duchy you selected. Anyway, I'm en route to Nifelheim in hopes of securing a vacant estate.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2012, 09:14:09 pm »

no hotmail accounts allowed -.-

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2012, 09:17:29 pm »

I managed to register with a hotmail account.
(Although admittedly, it had "@live instead of @hotmail in the e-mail address)
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2012, 09:20:21 pm »

I'm sure it just puts you in a random province within the duchy you selected.

That's the issue. It did assign me to Valkyrja as my duchy, but started me in Nifel and made that my family home.

Regardless, I'm already adjusting my RP backstory to fit, so we'll see how it goes. The ~45 hour hike is a bit ridiculous though, but I'm about halfway there. Perhaps divine intervention (or a server hiccup) will flip some numbers around it'll correct itself at some point. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm en route to Nifelheim in hopes of securing a vacant estate.

We'll probably pass each other in Hvergelmir, it would appear. Supposedly the monsters that had been terrorizing the region recently have moved on...

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2012, 09:23:21 pm »

I managed to register with a hotmail account.
(Although admittedly, it had "@live instead of @hotmail in the e-mail address)

yeah when you try with a hotmail account you get:

We do not allow people to sign up using hotmail addresses. There have been way too many abusers, cheaters and other troublemakers from that service. In fact, the majority of troublemakers have been hotmail members.
In addition, hotmail.com is causing us and other third parties much grief with their unreliability, refusal to follow Internet standards, and total unresponsiveness to troubleshooting attempts.

Please use another address to sign up.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2012, 09:29:05 pm »

funny story about settin' up in val actually, I tried for storm's keep but it actually put me there, which ender up nicer.

EDIT: unfortunately I might have to move to Storm's anyways as I think all the estates are taken up, I asked for one to be divided though so I'll see what happens
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:33:36 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2012, 09:48:29 pm »

funny story about settin' up in val actually, I tried for storm's keep but it actually put me there, which ender up nicer.

Huh... so your family home is probably in Valkyrja. But if you go to "messages," and look under "hierarchy," Where does it say your liege is (Valkyrja, I suspect) and where does it say your duke/duchess is (I predict Storm's End)?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2012, 10:15:12 pm »

Duke is indeed storm's keep, liege is Val

Andira

• Bay Watcher
  • The fastest way to travel is by candlelight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2012, 10:58:49 pm »

Hey, greetings from a Summerdale player (not a new one). ;) We're really happy about the influx of new players and I was told this forum here was the reason for it. Welcome again to all of you! And yes, I have only just created this account, but not to promote anything, only to address some things that seem to cause confusion for the new players.

Heh, I'm wondering where all the Valkyrja love is coming from. Is it just because you all like the duchy's name or did you read something about this region in the game wiki that makes you want to play there? Which kind of background story for a new family would only work in Valkyrja? In any case, even if the home of your family is in a certain region, I have experienced your character's estate to be much more important in your gaming experience than the family home, so the place where your estate will be would actually matter more than the place where you "spawn". But estates are not for eternity either. If you aquire your own lordship one day, you might end up in an entirely different region yet again. So don't put too much focus onto your starting region.

Choosing Valkyrja as the duchy to start in will actually be quite troublesome for you since it will force you to do a lot of traveling (several RL days) to first get to the place where your estate will be (there aren't any empty ones in Valkyrja and it's a small duchy) and then get to the place where the action will be. So I don't really see it as anything to be jealous about, but maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway, I hope you'll all have lots of fun with BattleMaster, wherever your characters might end up. :)

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2012, 12:10:03 am »

Heh, I'm wondering where all the Valkyrja love is coming from. Is it just because you all like the duchy's name or did you read something about this region in the game wiki that makes you want to play there? Which kind of background story for a new family would only work in Valkyrja? In any case, even if the home of your family is in a certain region, I have experienced your character's estate to be much more important in your gaming experience than the family home, so the place where your estate will be would actually matter more than the place where you "spawn". But estates are not for eternity either. If you aquire your own lordship one day, you might end up in an entirely different region yet again. So don't put too much focus onto your starting region.

Choosing Valkyrja as the duchy to start in will actually be quite troublesome for you since it will force you to do a lot of traveling (several RL days) to first get to the place where your estate will be (there aren't any empty ones in Valkyrja and it's a small duchy) and then get to the place where the action will be. So I don't really see it as anything to be jealous about, but maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway, I hope you'll all have lots of fun with BattleMaster, wherever your characters might end up. :)

For me it was the a desire to be coastal, and Valkyrja was the most appealing in that regard (a culture of fishermen, compared to Storm End's apparent propensity of farming, according to the wiki). The info for Valkyrja that i found on the wiki is also rather in-depth, something I enjoy in world-building.

The jealousy was more a joking tone referring to what appears to be either a bug or a unexplained spawning system:

• I selected Valkyrja in character creation, and my duchy is indeed listed as Valkyrja in the messages screen. The game spawned me in Nifel however, placed my family home there, and claims that my liege lord is of Nifel.
  • Similarly, Urist McScoopbeard selected Storm's Keep in his character creation and was assigned there as his duchy, yet he was spawned in Valkyrja, his family home is in Valkyrja, and his liege lord is of Valkyrja.

Perhaps that's how it's supposed to work, but had I assumed it was a bug: why ask for the player's preference, give them that choice, and then spawn them several days' march away when they are a newcomer to the game?

It's not really an issue: I'm about halfway to Valkyrja, and the fact that I'm traveling westwards from my family's home in Nifel, which is currently under threat of invasion from the East provides some good RP backstory opportunities.

You're not wrong about the travel time though!  :P
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:44:55 am by Alehkhs »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 95