Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boring Caverns.  (Read 1089 times)

Haigen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Boring Caverns.
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:41:28 pm »

So basically I hear all these stories about these awesome !!FUN!! and deadly cavern  creatures that destroy forts but all I have had luck with is some Giant Bats, Crundles and a multitude of Giant Frogs.

What gives where are the skin melting Forgotten Beasts? Is there a way to add more to the world if my world is simply devoid of them? Or more dangerous cavern ceratures?

SarZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boring Caverns.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 01:17:18 pm »

Be careful what you wish for, 'cause you might just get it all ....

It's either luck or bad luck. I had a Minotaur walk into a cage trap and I just dumped him in a magma-pit. That was an anti-climax. But I also had fire breathing turtles and gold tarantula's with poisonous vapours. However, you need to be REALLY careful about beasts with deadly dust (or poisonous dust). So be careful what you wish for, because the next Megabeast might just kill your entire fort!

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 01:54:36 pm »

Hmm, I had 2 FBs in my basement less than 2 years after embark, plus some trolls and cave crocs and such. Did you pierce all 3 layers?

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »

FBs show up in response to created wealth, much like goblins. Give the caravans lots and lots of masterwork whatevers and there will be more unspeakable fort-destroying monsters from below banging on your doors.

Each world has thousands of FBs. Running out would be quite an accomplishment. Increasing the size of your world and the number of regions will create more FBs, but it's very unlikely that your problem is really a shortage of FBs so much as a lack of interest. If you want the same experience only more intense, give the clowns a path so they can occasionally emerge through a magma tube.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 03:09:52 pm »

Yeah, put a few dwarves at stonecraft /r and buy out a few caravans. Add a few serrated steel discs, gold flasks, masterwork food and cloth and so on.

Be sure to have all three layers of caves open and report back here ;)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 03:29:40 pm »

I see a lot more cavern wildlife now that stuff from the caverns can path into my fort.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 05:40:48 pm »

If you want a challenge, build your fort inside a cavern.

Incidentally, that is what I'm doing with my current fort. I will colonize a cavern layer! I plan to wall off the caverns entirely, though I need a large number of soldiers to protect my masons while they work.

The endless hordes of zombie chinchillas on the surface isn't helping things. I've had to divert most of my attention towards the zombie menace, which has put cavern colonization plans on hold. :(

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 04:02:32 am »

When starting the world, make it large with a small history with high savagery and high beasts. That way there should almost definitely be tons of things that will rampage through your fort :)
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.