Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridge questions  (Read 1386 times)

ishmog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bridge questions
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:55:18 pm »

I've found a pretty cool location for my fort that has twin spires adjacent to a volcano cone... visions of Mordor. I have located my main entrance at the base of the spires right between them, and I am carving out bastions in each spire in which I will station marksdwarves and rain death upon my foes (right before I shower magma on them to clean up the dregs).

I am carving out my barracks in one spire, and a water reservoir in the other. My problems are these:

1. Is it possible, and if so how, to build a covered and walled bridge across an open space (between the spires) for marksdwarves to cross over to man the bastion on the far side rather than having to go all the way downstairs and all the way up another flight on the other side, missing most of the fight in the process?

2. Is there any way to build a bridge across an open space that will carry liquids across, so my reservoir can gravity feed into the fortress on the other side?

Thanks for any ideas!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge questions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:05:59 pm »

1. Yes. The way to do this is constructions; constructions, made with the b-C menu, are basically artificial terrain. You can build constructions out into open space. Building a bridge across an open space would involve building a line of floors out until the whole thing was crossed, then building walls on either side of it, then building more floors on top to seal it from above.

2. Yes. The way to do this is constructions; constructions, made with the b-C menu, are basically artificial terrain. You can build constructions out into open space. Building a bridge across an open space would involve building a line of floors out until the whole thing was crossed, then building walls on either side of it, then building more floors on top to seal it from above.

You could probably just put the aqueduct directly on top of the sky bridge, or vice versa.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:57:52 pm »

There is such a thing as b-g, which is an actual mechanic compatible bridge.
In the grim darkness of DF, there can be only FUN

ishmog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 11:19:13 pm »

Thanks! I knew about constructions but wasn't aware there was a technique for building them out over thin air.

I was actually thinking about the regular b-g type of bridge, but there's no way to build walls along the edges that I know of, so I was stuck for how to move liquids. I'll give the regular constructions a shot.

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:27:20 pm »

What about a mix, such as when the bridge is deployed build some fortifications along the edge , but make sure they are connected to ground or they will cause caveins and thus remove you from the game.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:55:18 am »

don't build fortifications. If you want those, build walls and carve fortifications.

Also, by "connected to the ground" it means "connected to something solid (not a bridge) that is, however indirectly, connected to the ground".
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 08:27:52 am »

don't build fortifications. If you want those, build walls and carve fortifications.

Also, by "connected to the ground" it means "connected to something solid (not a bridge) that is, however indirectly, connected to the ground".

As far as I recall, you cannot carve fortifications into built (b-C) walls. Hence b-F to make them.

To build the walls of your bridge, build your floors across first. That gives your masons somewhere to stand to place the walls. Then for the ceiling, get onto a wall (build a ramp or an up stair with a down stair in the corresponding spot above it) and you can stand on top of the walls to then add another layer of floors.

On space: a wall fills one tile, with the tile above it free to be built on. A floor fills the bottom of a tile, but another 'b-C'onstruction cannot be built on it. So if you want to build a stair / ramp using b-C, you'll have to designate the floor for removal (d-n) before you can build something in its place.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:35:38 am »

As far as I recall, you cannot carve fortifications into built (b-C) walls. Hence b-F to make them.

try it, you'll find it works.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:55:25 am »

You can indeed carve fortifications into constructed walls. They have floors built into the tops and then you can build up on those.

You can also build your aqueduct the same way, and on top of the skybridge. Just don't carve fortifications into it...

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 12:42:58 pm »

try it, you'll find it works.

Aye, just got back wanting to check it. You're right. I stand corrected. *hangs head*

But carving the fortification / building it is no different, except build wall-carve fortication is two jobs, and build fortification is one. Oh, and this, from the wiki: "Note that constructed fortifications do not have walkable floors above them, while carved fortifications do." Ah!

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 01:44:59 pm »

Not only that but fortifications protect less against flyers.

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 06:22:28 pm »

Depends on the flyer, and how you made your fortis.

ishmog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 08:48:28 am »

Worked a charm, thanks everyone! I did as suggested and built a double decker with the top half roofed over for security as well. Dwarfs go across the top, water goes across the bottom, everyone is happy.