Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding necromancers?  (Read 1285 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding necromancers?
« on: April 09, 2012, 10:42:23 pm »

So how do I find the necromancer that is resurrecting corpses in my fort?

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding necromancers?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:55:15 pm »

1.  Give them a nice trapped hallway clear of traffic right to your refuse pile.  Have some guard dwarfs in a buffer room just in case.

2.  Build many interlocking rooms and structures on the surface and look for doors that seemingly open and close.  Also good for setting up ambushes.

3.  Flood the place with !!MAGMA!!
I play games of games inside games in my head.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:59:05 pm »

Do necromancers need a direct line of sight (meaning no walls) to be able to resurrect parts from the refuse pile?

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 11:05:29 pm »

Yes they do.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:07:42 pm »

Strange since my refuse pile is in a fairly small, walled area. I had 10 militia dwarfs there, too. How could he not have been detected?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:08:01 pm »

Do necromancers need a direct line of sight (meaning no walls) to be able to resurrect parts from the refuse pile?
Yep. But the second they see your refuse pile, poof! It suddenly turns into goddamn Dwarf Space as a horde of parts piles out of the doorway and overwhelms any dwarves nearby.

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:12:11 pm »

Lol Dwarfcromorphs.
In the grim darkness of DF, there can be only FUN

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 12:24:34 am »

Necromancers need line of sight, but their range is fairly long, ~15 tiles. Also, they seem to be impossible to detect unless they come within 3 tiles of another creature, and aren't always detected even if directly adjacent to one of your dwarves or animals. Since they also run away from any living creature they can, you usually don't find them unless they happen to get cornered. Doing this on purpose is difficult, since you can't see them, of course.

The best way of handling necromancers in my experience is to simply get rid of every reanimatable body part and then stop looking for a while. They'll slip into your fort and wander around, fleeing from all and sundry, until they get unlucky in a hallway with dwarves coming from both directions, at which point they'll try to attack one of them and reveal themselves, thus allowing your soldiers to attack with extreme prejudice as you wish them to do.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!