Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My fortress has collapsed due to mussel shells...  (Read 3427 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My fortress has collapsed due to mussel shells...
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:46:04 am »

I decided to just make a "mediocre" fort, with some outdoor industry and such. Just to learn the new things. I think you guys will enjoy the outcome-

And boy, did I ever. Everything went well, until a necromancer snuck on the coattails of a goblin ambush. Suddenly, goblins sprung to life. As they were hacked apart, their bits sprang to life! This was fine, but the huge number of mussel shells that I had lying around was suddenly animated. They can't hit anything, but the sheer number has overwhelmed my dwarves. One by one, my military was taken down as they were mobbed by rotten hands, partial skeletons and mussel shells. So many mussel shells.

So yeah. Mussel shells kill. You've been warned!

Edit: I've never truly lost a fort. I'm now watching as my dwarves are running around helplessly, being cut down and resurrected one by one. It's really sad, and funny at the same time. Undead hens? Why not! I now see what you folks mean by Losing Is Fun :D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:49:32 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My fortress has collapsed due to mussel shells...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:58:39 am »

Some goblins tried to ambush, and were quickly cut down by the rising undead horde. Once more, they were overwhelmed by the swarms of mussel shells.

Then an undead siege arrived. A little bit late, no? :P
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 04:00:44 am »

Yeah, necromancers are cool, but they can be a pain in the ass if you don't lock up all your refuse piles. That's why I always try to atom smash all my corpses, and have a locked bridge to the dwarven catacombs.

And yeah surface fortresses are difficult as they rarely survive for very long with invasions and the like ;)
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 04:06:40 am »

The final struggle was the mayor, the original expedition leader, trying to outrun the undead. He collected quite a following, with elves, torn pieces of goblins, llamas, chickens and mussel shells trailing him. Nightmarish.

He was dragged down as things grabbed him with their teeth and remaining fingers, and overwhelmed.

This game is serious business :O

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 04:57:21 am »

Yeah, necromancers are cool, but they can be a pain in the ass if you don't lock up all your refuse piles.

How does that work (locking up refuse piles)?  Do you just build a wall and a door around them outside?

I haven't had a necromancer visit yet...
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 05:46:42 am »

Yeah animated crap can be overpowered at the moment since they can't ever be completely defeated.

I'm hoping Toady implements a way for very basic items (bones, shells, skin, etc) to crumble to dust once defeated, rather than constantly switching between undead and dead.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 06:21:03 am »

Yeah, necromancers are cool, but they can be a pain in the ass if you don't lock up all your refuse piles.

How does that work (locking up refuse piles)?  Do you just build a wall and a door around them outside?

Yeah. Just be warned, if you have building destroyer corpses in your stockpile, they can break down your doors! So use a bridge to be really safe.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 09:43:55 am »

So I've read...

At least, Necromancers need a line of sight to do their dirty deeds. Underground it is!

I assume necros are trap-avoid, right?
Yeah. Just be warned, if you have building destroyer corpses in your stockpile, they can break down your doors! So use a bridge to be really safe.