Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2000 year world gen amusement  (Read 3508 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
2000 year world gen amusement
« on: December 27, 2012, 06:29:37 pm »

So i noticed:

when genning a world for 2000 years, sometimes the dead counter goes backwards.

Now i know that over such a long time that lots of necromancers have popped up, and im amazed im not suffering FPS death, but how does the game deal with the dead count?

do reanimated corpses count as not dead again? its certainly interesting.

also: locked in the age of legend for 1700 years-ish.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: 2000 year world gen amusement
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 11:39:40 pm »

Do you cull historical figures?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:08:13 pm »

Ah, i do.
Sorry.

though if anyone wants a copy of a 2k year old world let me know and ill upload it.

It has a dragon family (which is why its stayed in year of legends).
also at least 2 locations with 3 towers nearby.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 12:53:39 pm »

Sounds like a cool world.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 02:55:34 pm »

I would say the counter reaches the upper bound and adds 1, making it go to the lower bound (which is negative) ?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 05:50:03 am »

I can never go beyond ~400-500 years, then again I like to play big maps with many civs and sites. How did you get that far? Playing a small map?

Also how many kills does those dragons have? Having lived for 2000 years can rack up a killcount if they arent passive.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 11:54:12 am »

I would say the counter reaches the upper bound and adds 1, making it go to the lower bound (which is negative) ?
Extremely doubtful. Dwarf fortress runs most of the counters as signed 32-bit integers, so the maximum number you would need to reach for this to happen would be 2,147,483,647. As TruePikachu pointed out, the reason this happened was almost certainly due to the culling of unimportant historical figures.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 02:57:48 pm »

I can never go beyond ~400-500 years, then again I like to play big maps with many civs and sites. How did you get that far? Playing a small map?

Also how many kills does those dragons have? Having lived for 2000 years can rack up a killcount if they arent passive.

Big mama: 5
Big dad: 0
children: doubtful any.

hmm, need to find a more powerfull hosting server to upload the world save.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 06:04:27 pm »

Extremely doubtful. Dwarf fortress runs most of the counters as signed 32-bit integers, so the maximum number you would need to reach for this to happen would be 2,147,483,647. As TruePikachu pointed out, the reason this happened was almost certainly due to the culling of unimportant historical figures.

Yes, but how does that work? Important dead suddenly become unimportant after a while? The number of dead historical figures in worldgen should be monotonously growing, or stagnating at worst- unless corpse animation counts as "no longer dead".
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 06:07:09 pm »

Yes, but how does that work? Important dead suddenly become unimportant after a while? The number of dead historical figures in worldgen should be monotonously growing, or stagnating at worst- unless corpse animation counts as "no longer dead".
The game doesn't constantly cull unimportant figures, since elsewise it's possible that something might make them important later. Instead every few years it goes in and removes some, and then at the end of world gen it goes through and removes any unimportant ones still remaining. That's why you get the raising and then dropping behavior.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 01:34:32 am »

DFFD
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 06:55:19 pm »

DFFD

That was the one i was trying.