Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading with trade caravans  (Read 1565 times)

jsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading with trade caravans
« on: December 31, 2012, 06:28:59 pm »

I cannot get the hang of this. How can I put something up to trade with them?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading with trade caravans
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 07:00:09 pm »

"Q" and put cursor on the Trade Depot building.  (Assuming you have built a Trade Depot building.)

If traders have arrived on the embark map and are enroute to the Depot you should have an option "g" to move items to the Depot.  Using this list select items to be moved to the Depot and potentially traded.  They will be marked "PENDING".

If you go back into the list after a bit you'll see items that have been hauled to the Depot already marked "TRADING" and ready to be traded as well as items that have not arrived yet still marked "PENDING".

You also need to get a trader to the Depot to trade.  Use the "r" option to summon your broker (if you have assigned one).  You can also set an option to allow anyone to do the trading.

Once the merchants have unloaded and you have a trader at the Depot the "t" option should be available to initiate trading.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 10:21:38 pm »

"Q" and put cursor on the Trade Depot building.  (Assuming you have built a Trade Depot building.)

It's not supposed to be in upper case. Instead press "q".

jsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 02:23:58 am »

Thanks so much. That answered my question perfectly.....But I have just one more:
What if I set it to everyone can trade? is it bad in any way? (my broker may be busy.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 02:38:43 am »

Thanks so much. That answered my question perfectly.....But I have just one more:
What if I set it to everyone can trade? is it bad in any way? (my broker may be busy.)
Nope. It'll only ever pull an idle Dwarf.

It's only really bad if you want to get a Dwarf to train his or her appraisal skill to appraise your Fortress's worth, and you may not be able to get away with narrower profit margins then you would with a dedicated broker with high conversationalist skills.

Not really a big issue, as this stuff only really matters when you have large Forts booming with trade.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 06:26:11 am »

It's only really bad if you want to get a Dwarf to train his or her appraisal skill to appraise your Fortress's worth, and you may not be able to get away with narrower profit margins then you would with a dedicated broker with high conversationalist skills.
Depending on what your broker does the rest of the time, they may not have the opportunity to pump social skills. You can work at raising social skills by making numerous small trades, as the social XP for trading is awarded per transaction and not per item. All other things being equal, the best dwarf for social training is the one that meets with unhappy citizens.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.