Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Stupid Question  (Read 11178 times)

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Question
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 08:12:06 pm »

On the wiki it does say that it's tamable but since it's an exotic creature there some special requirements that you have to meet before being able to do that. It is also the hardest creature to tame next to the dragon.  :-\

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 08:37:46 pm »

Is should be something like this:
You've probably got WinRAR installed (or similar), to get that icon.

I do have Winrar installed. I forgot that Windows could do zip files on its own though...
[Signature]

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 08:41:47 pm »

You've genned up on the situation, it seems.  Good.  You might even know a bit more than I can tell you, at the moment, if the Wiki is up-to-date.

Originally, the special requirement for a [PET_EXOTIC] (as opposed to something that was tameable but just as a [PET]) was that you have a dwarf known as the Dungeon Master.  He disappeared from the game for a while (although you could add him back in, with modding, I hear) across a whole range of versions, for reasons I never took much notice of but was probably because the developer didn't think he could make the character work like he really wanted him.

As I said, though I don't really know how the situation is at the moment.  If the wiki is as up-to-date as it could be, it might just be waiting for someone to narrow down the exact situation.  If it's a little behind the time it might be thinking about the above Dungeon Master (and/or modding to allow/not need him to do this job).

The fact that it's (taking your word for it, not looked myself) contrasting the comparative magnitudes of difficulty, it sounds like it might be the former, as training always used to be of the "gets done if it can be done" kind, no real 'difficulty level', that I know of.  But the dev-notes and player conversations that I've seen suggest that it's a now a proper skill-test.

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 10:21:24 pm »

I have a question, I have wood stockpiles in my fortress(More like a couple rooms carved into the side of a mountain ;D), I have logs lying all over the place outside and I have dwarfs doing nothing who don't pick them up and move them. ( I have it set for them to wood hauling)  :-\

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2012, 03:22:32 am »

If your wood stockpiles are mined within stone and there are boulders taking space in the stockpile, dorfs won't move logs there because the stones are in the way. Make a dump zone somewhere and get rid of all the boulders in that case.

Piggy

• Bay Watcher
  • Th-That's easy! G-George W-Wash...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 07:47:41 am »

Really, ignore all the people who say "EDIT THE RAWS", I enjoy the game in it's normal state more than it's edit raws thingy state.

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 08:44:22 am »

Ok, I'm in the process of doing that but there are boulders on top of some of my stockpiles and when I try to select them it selects the stuff in the stockpiles to. How do I only select the boulders?

Nvm, they picked up on their own for some reason and moved it to the dump. Seems their starting to move the logs back to the stockpile. Thanks  :)

So it seems that you can only store one thing in a stockpile but you can store infinate things in a dump?...  ???
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:10:59 am by seristal »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2012, 09:11:19 am »

When you want to get rid of something specific(to dump, stockpile moves are done automatically by dorfs), hit k and put the cursor on the tile with the item. D for dump, F for forbid.

There's also a mass dump and forbid option, d>b>d and put the borders of the zone you want dumped/forbidden with Enter.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2012, 09:14:06 am »

Ok, I'm in the process of doing that but there are boulders on top of some of my stockpiles and when I try to select them it selects the stuff in the stockpiles to. How do I only select the boulders?

Nvm, they picked up on their own for some reason and moved it to the dump. Seems their starting to move the logs back to the stockpile. Thanks  :)

So it seems that you can only store one thing in a stockpile but you can store infinate things in a dump?...  ???

That's correct, it's a bit of an exploit at this point, but most peope just set a single tile dump somewhere outside, and amass  all their stone there.

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2012, 09:44:47 am »

How likely is it to get a vampire in your second migrant wave?...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 09:56:26 am »

That's correct, it's a bit of an exploit at this point, but most peope just set a single tile dump somewhere outside, and amass  all their stone there.
I've wondered, before, it that's what pursuaded Toady to bring Necromancers in...

(Because, I mean, what's simpler...  Sorting out 'quantum' refuse piles properly, or adding something in that may create a bits-of-bodies explosion emanating from a highly-compressed dead-pile? ;) )

How likely is it to get a vampire in your second migrant wave?...
I've not yet had one, that I can tell.  But then I've been messing about with a fortress design where very few people are out of sight of others, so for all I know they've just decided to stay out of the limelight? ;)

It shouldn't be a high chance, but I am surprised that I've not (knowingly) had any yet.

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2012, 09:59:12 am »

Because theres like three people from this migrant wave I just got and they have several signs of a vampire according to the wiki. But I'm probably just being paranoid  :P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2012, 10:14:41 am »

It might well be a bit like the old exchange: "Vampires can be killed by a stake through their heart", "Yes, but so can non-vampires!  That doesn't prove a thing!"...

And, then again, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean we they aren't messing with your head... :)

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 10:18:33 am »

Wha?... :O

If this keeps up you may have to change me back to escaped lunatic  ;D

Hmmm, seems I'm almost out of alcohol. Looks like I won't be the only one going crazy...

So do you have to "extract from plants" before "Brew Drink"?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:12:06 am by seristal »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2012, 11:16:17 am »

No, plant extraction is a whole different thing and doesn't produce booze at all.
I can't remember what it was for again. Maybe making golden salve or some other product.
But booze is always done with Brew Drink.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5