Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dragon Ball: Battle of Gods out!  (Read 7658 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Dragon Ball: Battle of Gods out!
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:54:05 pm »

And all related stuffs that go along with that.

It's a huuuge franchise, spanning more video games than I know to mention, at least one mod for Half-Life, and at least one mod for that mod for Half-life, and hell, I've played a mod for that mod for that mod for half-life, so clearly people enjoy it quite a lot.

Talk about the manga, the anime, the filler, Z, GT, AF*, Multiverse, everything, it's all good.

*(Still confused about this; the modmodmod I mentioned above was an AF mod for the ECX mod for the Earth's Special Forces mod for Half-Life; this is all I've seen. It was an April Fools joke, but then other people made fanfictions n' crap? The mod had an OC that nobody played as and, while fighting against a Super Saiyan 7 is kind of fun, the design is weird)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:29:21 pm by Putnam »

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Ball: The manga, the anime, the legend(ary super saiyan).
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:45:52 pm »

This will likely devolve into a memefest within ten pages. Just saiyan.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:06:34 am »

This will likely devolve into a memefest within ten pages. Just saiyan.  :P
You are so overly optimistic
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 09:12:26 pm »

I love Dragonzball P!  My favorite character was Carrot Cake and the scene with Virginia was excellent.

Oh, and who could forget anime fight!??

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:27:51 pm »

As someone who has every episode of both Dragonball and Dragonball Z on DVD, I suppose I'll say hello.

This, incidentally, is highly entertaining: Dragonball, the abridged series

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 09:41:00 pm »

Dragonball Z Abridge by TeamFourStar is fucking brilliant. It's a great parody of the series, but it made with love... You can tell the folks who makes it, really love the DBZ.

These folks: http://www.indiegogo.com/DBZ-Saiyan-Saga hope to make a live action mini Movie.

They plan to turn this trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcmgtgya-fw&list=FLFHe8P77YKxSpfOONyed3Pg&index=2&feature=plpp_video into that live action mini movie.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:57:28 pm »

Wait, there are people online who haven't heard of DBZA?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:48:29 pm »

Well, for myself DBZA doesn't bring up TeamFourStar series, but a DBZ mush, that was a squeal to DBZC mush.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 06:44:41 am »

Dragonball was good, Dragonball Z is pretty bad.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 11:31:57 am »

Dragonball was good, Dragonball Z is pretty bad.

Relatively few Dragonball "fans" I've spoken to have even seen original Dragonball. Some don't seem to even know what it is.

Agreed that Dragonball was much more consistently good than Z. But Z had its moments. Gohan's high school arc was one of the best in either series. At least until Toriyama gave the fanbase what it wanted and returned the spotlight to Goku. And personally I did enjoy the Saiyan and Android arcs as well. Even Buu was entertaining until it degenerated to filler episodes.

The worst of Z was the Freiza arc. And it's not that the story in that arc was bad...it was just too long. Something like a quarter of Z. And the final fight with Freiza lasted multiple DVDs. That's not including any story, or leadup. This was after everything had been said and done and now it's time for the final fight with the final boss. Several DVDs long.

Here's a summary of that fight:

The entire team faces off against Freiza, fighting one at a time. Freiza is polite, but mocking. The fight goes back and forth several times. Every time The Z fighters get a good lead it turns out that Freiza wasn't fighting at his full, so he either starts trying harder or he transforms into a new shape. Krillan dies. Like...really dies. This upsets Goku, who then proceeds to win the fight. Freiza transforms once more time. Goku beats him anyway, and Freiza loses several limbs in the process. Unfortunately the fight has become so intense that it destroy planet Namek in the process, so everybody has to leave. Goku tries to get Freiza to apologize for being bad, and he does in order to trick Goku into giving him enough energy to escape the planet, which Goku does. Instead Freiza uses that energy to deliver one last pointless attack on Goku, which fails completely. Planet explodes.

So yes, a few things happened there. Some of them were even interesting. It could easily have filled three episodes. Call it an hour. But no...that fight lasted something like 20 or 30 hours and nearly filled an entire DVD boxed set.

Trivia: If you ever walk in on or hear someone watching an episode Dragonball Z, before you see the screen, ask them if "it's the episode where they fight Freiza." Even tough Z has 291 episodes, the odds of you being right are pretty good.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 11:59:18 am »

Dragon Ball was gold. Pure gold almost all the time.

Z had moments, the anime was waaaay too filler-y, and the buu saga as a whole was really disappointing. Hell, the Z anime as a whole was pretty bad. How long did Goku take to get across snake way? How long was the god damned Frieza fight?

Didn't the Frieza fight last through, like, a fifth of Kai?

EDIT: In related news...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 05:40:37 pm »

So yes, a few things happened there. Some of them were even interesting. It could easily have filled three episodes. Call it an hour. But no...that fight lasted something like 20 or 30 hours and nearly filled an entire DVD boxed set.

Agreed.  That was my biggest beef with DBZ really.  Everything took 3x as long as it needed to.  At least.

Anyway, I used to be a huge fan of DBZ when I was younger (Dragonball to a lesser extent, and DBGT was just lolworthy).  I've completely lost interest in all anime though, so not much discussion coming out of me.  :P
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 05:52:54 pm »

Um, Gohan High School arc wasn't by Toriyama at all. Anything after Cell, didn't have Toriyama hand in it all. Buu Saga has some pretty decent moment, but it also uneven in it's levity, and forgetting it's character growth, and Buu having... the most forms. It got kinda of silly. I'm particularly not a fan of Goten, even though I love the idea of the Fuzion and it's Dominate/Submissive thing going on there. (I do want a fatenks plushie though. >.>)
----
And the Frieza saga wasn't the longest saga in DBZ. It's actually the second shortest, with the Buu Saga being the longest. But the 3 Saga aren't terribly different in length. Frieza Saga is 24 percent or so the series, where the Cell Saga is about 29 percent and Buu Saga about 32 percent.

The other two that came after Frieza are more shameful in how long it took. The Cell Saga had 3 things to set up. It had to set up Future Trunks, the Cyborgs, and Cell.
Whereas the Frieza Saga had to set up Vegeta, Frieza, Namek (the planet), Nameks (the race), Icer Empire (explaining why Goku was sent to Earth in the first place), why there so few Saiyans, what a Super Saiyan is and a couple more things after this. That is a lot stuff to set up. Yet during the 70 episodes, we got two training sequences, two adventures with Krillin, Gohan and Bulma, (The space kids inside the reflective spaceship, that just a solid piece of Science Fiction.), 2 groups of bad guys on Namek, and then the fight with Frieza. The fight with Frieza was going to be long. You had to respect the growth in power of the character that were on the planet, show they werent just waiting for Goku while at same time setting up how ruthless Frieza is in taking his sweet time with murdering them all. This is setting up to Show Us how strong Frieza is, and this in the end Show Us how strong SSJ1 is, with the emotional trigger of Krillin death (which at least for me made me cry seeing it).

Pages: [1] 2