Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thinking of an Idea for a space roleplaying game, but need feedback and stuff  (Read 700 times)

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I havent thought much yet, however, what I know is that I want it to have fairly complex damage systems and in general, be hard sci-fi

However, I do not know where to start, how would I best quantify damage?

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile

Tabletop or conpvtz0r?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

grebor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

If it's a tabletop you're after, i know of one (actually two, but it's the worlds that differ, not the rules system) tabletop RPG made by Neogames AB (Swedish company) with a fairly complex damage system.

In a nutshell it works like this:

• Each character in the game has something called a chock-value, which is derived from that creatures basic stats like endurance, size and constitution
  • From basic stats including the above mentioned, other values are calculated, which are how many columns of trauma-, pain-, blood&bleeding- and exhaustion-boxes the character have
  • The fewer columns (min one, max ten) a character has the quicker he will get more rolls to get dead and or get more difficult to do stuff
  • Characters have a damagebonus calculated from basic stats such as strength and size and different weapons do different amount of damage depending on how its used and size. This yields a damage value
  • This damage value is the looked up in a table which is different for different types of damage (blunt, penetrating, slashing etc.) The higher the damage vale the greater the risk of getting wounds that hurt and / or incapacitate the recieving end of the damage.
  • In the table there are references to lists where one or more dice are rolled to determine the type of damage actually done. This could mean that the bone in leg got broken and the character got 20 trauma ticks, 30 pain ticks and 15 bleeding ticks.
  • The reciever then rolls according to the listing on the PC-chart a number of dice against the chock-value to see if he or she dies/collapses/passes out etc.
  • Of course there are more to be said, and as far as I know, this specific RPG is only in Swedish, but I think it's a ☼Masterwork☼ damage system
See:
http://www.neogames.se/ - The company's site, in Swedish
http://henko.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/eon-rollform-24.pdf (PDF download link) A user submitted PC-chart, in Swedish.

Regards,
G
[...]The [bronze] colossus is currently choking out a bird that refuses to die[...]