Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever  (Read 97818 times)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever
« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2012, 01:59:50 am »

Bad generalisation on my part :/
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2012, 03:43:58 am »

Bad generalisation on my part :/
Nah, it holds up pretty well. I mean, have you ever heard of a film director with a major in comp sci? I haven't. Although I don't watch many movies. I guess people who are good enough to work with computers would prefer that over the precipitous path of creating media.

DF is a game I prefer to play in solitude, but one time I did play it in the computer lab back in high school. It doesn't really count as gameplay, but a girl commented that the title music was very pretty. I agreed.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 28, 2012, 04:16:50 am »

Everyone I've introduced this to asks how you win.
I quote Girlinhat:

Your fort will die.  It will.  You will not win.  You will only have fun as you come closer to failure.  Your entire goal is to have fun, as the only measurable success of a fort is enjoyment.  Got steel clad legendary axedwarves?  Got a platinum plated dining hall with waterfalls?  Got a magma-duct that ritually kills goblin sieges with clockwork precision?  It doesn't matter, because you will fail.  The only measure of success, is how much you enjoyed the route to failure.  That's what makes Dwarf Fortress, and its players, so unique.  We don't strive to level up, or to get top-tier gear, or to finish the quests, or to earn achievements.

We play for fun.  And we do it right.

Usually I get at least one blank look :(
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 28, 2012, 10:22:28 am »

Itm ight be quite fun to go along with the poor tech people and preten that you are hacking, with digging as "undermining your firewalls" and hauling as "stealing their internet"
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 28, 2012, 01:16:10 pm »

OMG OMGO OMG OMOMMMOG what about the movie with Angelina Jolie called, guess, what HACKERS, they used APPLEs and some kind of CREEPY 3D tube interface system with flashing lights to hack the cities traffic lights and the fire system!

Not to get this thread more off track, but the viruses shown in that movie were flashy Hollywood versions of real viruses, trojans, and malware.  For example, there really was a "Cookie Monster" program that would basically lock up your computer saying "Gimmie a cookie!" until you typed the word "cookie".  The problem is that most people aren't aware of those viruses, so the in-joke looks kind of stupid/silly to them.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Kaiserr

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 28, 2012, 01:57:23 pm »

Person:What...are...you...playing?

Me:Dwarf Fortress.

Person:What do you do?

Me:Lose.

Person:That sounds unpleasant.

Me:No,because Losing Is FUN! *Creepy grin*

Person: ???
Wait, you type with your feet? That's badass.
DF: Beat people to death with their own appendages!

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 28, 2012, 02:38:57 pm »

OMG OMGO OMG OMOMMMOG what about the movie with Angelina Jolie called, guess, what HACKERS, they used APPLEs and some kind of CREEPY 3D tube interface system with flashing lights to hack the cities traffic lights and the fire system!

Not to get this thread more off track, but the viruses shown in that movie were flashy Hollywood versions of real viruses, trojans, and malware.  For example, there really was a "Cookie Monster" program that would basically lock up your computer saying "Gimmie a cookie!" until you typed the word "cookie".  The problem is that most people aren't aware of those viruses, so the in-joke looks kind of stupid/silly to them.

Roger that, I wasn't on the IT scene until after the 1990's. Never would consider myself a hacker, not by any means either, so while I chuckle at the technicalities, I have no idea what I'm looking at still when it comes to "knowing" all there is to know... lol

Also if they portrayed hacking in movies accurately, most people would have the same reaction to them they do to DF... WTF IS THIS! (just to stay back on topic)

Also @crazysheep I'm sorry, I just got all excited thinking I was cool to point out some anecdotal nerdyness.
I voted for BANANA!

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2012, 03:12:32 pm »

I introduced my current roommate to the game, after he saw me playing Adventure mode, and he did at first just kind of sneer because of the graphics, but I  went on to describe the level of detail in combat, and I saw his eyes light up when I mentioned how there is no standard "health" system like most games, instead it simulates tissue layers and organs and so on, and how that was kind of the payoff for the graphics, because there was no way in hell his PS3 could simulate that level of detail in real time with what he considered AAA graphics (I have no idea how accurate that statement is, but he bought it).

Got him playing, and not five minutes later, he looked up from his laptop at me and asks "Can you die from an arrow to the throat?"
I say "Yes, but if you can kill all the bandits or whatever before you bleed out, and are able to rest, you might survive."
"Well, doesn't matter, because the guy just shot me in the brain."
I look up from my screen, and he's grinning, and getting his next character ready. He still plays Adventure more than Fortress, but he's slowly getting into that, too.

Though, my own best reaction to the game actually came some time after I started playing it, when to anyone watching I would have appeared crazy, because a certain FB had me almost shouting at my monitor "You're made of salt! Stop swimming up my aquaduct!"

Gamzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2012, 03:42:07 pm »

Here is a conversation from a while ago with me and a friend, when he first found candy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2012, 08:09:23 pm »

The teen brother of a friend's overheard us talking about DF.

Brother: "Is that a game? How is it called?"
Me: "Dwarf Fortress"
Brother: "And what kinds of other things can you do in it?"
(I explain)
Brother: "Wow! I want to play it!"
(I show)
Brother: . . . uuh. . .
Me: The graphics are not what you expected, right?
(He retreats with an akward smile)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 28, 2012, 11:23:34 pm »

Me: Yeah, I'm going home to play Dwarf Fortress.
Friend: Oh yeah, I got that. I couldn't figure out the fortress mode, but the adventurer mode is way cooler anyway.
Me: :o ... You shut your whore mouth.
Friend: what.
Me: Move, I'm showing you the REAL game.
*Two weeks later*
Friend: I tried to build a three Z deep moat, but it flooded my dining hall. I sealed it off with a door, but the dumbass dorfs kept running to it, and it'd let a bit of water in, so I WALLED that shit off. There was a guy inside, but he swam out through the moat.  8)
Me: You know Goblins will come with cave crocodile mounts and swim right through water moats, right? You'd be better off with a dry moat, as if they don't have mounts, they just stand at the edge of the water anyway.
Friend: Goddamnit.  >:( Cave crocodiles?
Me: Yeah, they live in the giant caverns.
Friend: Caverns?
Me: But they don't matter, Adventurer mode is cooler anyway, right?
Friend: Show me the caverns dammit!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2012, 12:01:07 am »

Also @crazysheep I'm sorry, I just got all excited thinking I was cool to point out some anecdotal nerdyness.
It's cool :)

OT: Somehow my friends who have seen me play DF know straightaway that it's a game. They only ask what it's about, and some of them have played similar ASCII graphic-type games.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2012, 04:08:08 am »

I have a friend with whom i used to play minecraft with and couple of years ago he made me play planescape:torment so bad interface and graphics obiusly won't scare him.
I started telling to him about this fort i had where i built this artificial lake of lava with my fort a massive tower in the middle connected to the rest of the world using a series of bridges and about all the battles that took place on those bridges. And he is just sitting and listening quietly. Then i start talking about stuff i have read from this forum and about mereman farming and magma mines and stuff.
And the he asks "How?".
"It sounded to me like you just made up a bunch of random stuff."
I think he is gona try DF.

Riloki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2012, 07:13:54 am »

"A kitten powered shotgun?"

"Nah, between the zombies and general mayhem the cats didn't really breed enough to start up any kind of real kitten-bullet industry."

"...No.... See.... I meant a shotgun, with a kitten working the mechanisms."

"...Oh."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 29, 2012, 10:58:42 am »

I iz in ur shotgun, firing ur bulletz?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17