Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever  (Read 97847 times)

lava dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2012, 03:52:49 pm »

my best reaction

what are you doing?

killing all the worthless kids

cool
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:54:58 pm by lava dwarf »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2012, 04:44:34 pm »

Me: Hey, [female friend], do you want to come see if *checks screen* 347 ducks can murder a dragon?

DFplaying Friend: This is going to be awesome!

Female friend: Just tell me what happens, that game makes my eyes hurt.

The best part is that she claims she enjoys the sound of the game but doesn't want to sacrifice her time to the game, especially not with the clunky graphics.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2012, 04:46:15 pm »

~Embarked on red sand desert~
~WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR COMPUTER?
£:

~Showing friend1 DF~
~Friend2 actually says the graphics are shit~
~I give no fucks (rather verbally too)~
~friend3 explains to friend4 that only I could understand what's going on~
~I explain to friend3 that I'm biting some kid's eyes out~
~Feelsgood~

I normally try to hook players with the combat arena.

Indeed. Friend1 and Friend3 were both introduced to DF when I gave Friend1 the challenge of leading 3 bunnies and himself (also a bunny) against an Elephant, and winning. It's possible, but he ran away, got his comrades murdered and he was gored, repeatedly in the everything.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2012, 04:52:23 pm »

Bro: Hey, what game you playin'
Me: Dorf Ortress
Bro: *Looks over* Seems hard. So what's happening?
Me: Well, I'm cleaning up the hospital after a massacre.
Bro: So what happened? Goblins? Trolls? Dragon?
Me: A child went insane because he couldn't endure the stench of his mother's rotting corpse anymore and decided to use a pair of platinum, diamond-encrusted pants to beat everyone in the sick ward to death.
Bro: :o I'm gonna go back to playing Dark Souls now...
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2012, 06:01:49 pm »

I got booted from a guild in an MMO once I explained a little bit of DF to them.  No boot message, I just logged in the next day and was no longer in the guild.

that's..just silly.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2012, 06:34:11 pm »

I got booted from a guild in an MMO once I explained a little bit of DF to them.  No boot message, I just logged in the next day and was no longer in the guild.

In fairness this is a perfectly reasonable reaction to anything that happens in Dwarf Fortress, and one that I would expect of any rational, non-psychopathic-murder-killer type human beings.

Thankfully this forum does not contain any such individuals, and thus we are free to stew in the madness that we have sown. But in truth were we always this way or is it Dwarf Fortress itself that has transformed us, a twisted and corrupt artefact that greater makes use of its wielder than the opposite?

For when you play for long the game, the game also plays you.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2012, 06:40:12 pm »

I wish I'd get reactions as good as some I've seen here. The best that has ever happened was:
Mother: "You understand what's going on there?"
Me: "Yes."
She then just shrugged and walked away.

In fairness this is a perfectly reasonable reaction to anything that happens in Dwarf Fortress, and one that I would expect of any rational, non-psychopathic-murder-killer type human beings.

Thankfully this forum does not contain any such individuals, and thus we are free to stew in the madness that we have sown. But in truth were we always this way or is it Dwarf Fortress itself that has transformed us, a twisted and corrupt artefact that greater makes use of its wielder than the opposite?

I think we were all somewhat prone to this behaviour before playing, DF only helped us reach our full capacity. Sure, it can be called sadistic, madness and more, but I love every second of it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2012, 07:07:14 pm »

LoverGirl asked to watch me play Dwarf Fort. I'll update once she actually sees me. xD

I actually named a dwarf after her, and continue naming dwarves after her in each new fort with the same skillset.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2012, 08:04:46 pm »

I think we were all somewhat prone to this behaviour before playing, DF only helped us reach our full capacity. Sure, it can be called sadistic, madness and more, but I love every second of it.

I was ALWAYS an overly-violent sick little sadist. If there was something horrible and/or perverted to be done in a game, I'd be the first to find it and exploit it, like running into the strip club in GTAiv and throwing a molotov in the interior exit, and watching everyone but the pole dancers run out, burst into flames and flop on the floor like a fish until they died. Then I'd run outside and set the first cop car on fire, watch it explode causing every other cop car that shows up to explode, creating a chain reaction of ‼cops‼ and ‼strippers‼.
DF is just another outlet for my horrible, sick mind. With ‼elven strippers‼ once they go insane. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2012, 08:58:01 pm »

Unfortunately, my forts rarely live past my first FB, simply because I'm still too slow to build proper defenses. I never really get far enough to actually do anything. Although, there was this one time when a necromancer brought a clump of horse hair back to life, and every time my miners hacked it apart it multiplied and came back in force, until they were sawing individual hairs in half... All the while, a random, disembodied elf hand was hopping around kicking my dwarves to death...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2012, 09:43:47 pm »

A guy behind me got interested in what I was doing it went a little something like this:

"What are you doing?"

"I'm playing dwarf fortress, I'm building a fortress and dwarves are living in it."

"Why is the ground yellow?"

"It's sand"

"Why is it red and green in places?"

"Oh, a cat that I threw off a bridge has been crawling around puking for a while and a ghost cut someones throat a few minutes ago."

And then we never spoke again.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2012, 10:09:41 pm »

Well I left a page of the forums open one day, came back to my gf reading it with a disturbed look on her face.

She was like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? "I usually just drown cats and skin them for clothes for my children".

So I had to describe to her dwarf fortress and all its psychoticness and now well.. she plays more than me.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2012, 10:11:35 pm »

Well I left a page of the forums open one day, came back to my gf reading it with a disturbed look on her face.

She was like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? "I usually just drown cats and skin them for clothes for my children".

So I had to describe to her dwarf fortress and all its psychoticness and now well.. she plays more than me.
When you think about it all we really do is pretend not to be sick just so we can spread the disease.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2012, 10:18:15 pm »

When you think about it all we really do is pretend not to be sick just so we can spread the disease.

Or be extra sick to attract a cult following. Blessed art thou who doth understand this game.

E: And yae, it came to be that the wooden spike struck the militia commander in the womb, rending her foetus in twain. Ecstatic she remained, for she had seen the light of a nice looking door recently.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:24:36 pm by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2012, 10:29:39 pm »

*Tries to get back on topic*
Friend; *leans over my shoulder* What are you..... oh..... your programming? I was going to ask you do something for me but you look pretty busy bro.

Me; *grins evily* yeah......

I swear i could not stop grinning for a few days. And thats why i play DF, if i play it at school, when someone looks over my shoulder they dont even know im playing a game :p
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:42:32 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17