Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever  (Read 97007 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 02:23:10 pm »

"Okay, so this is my merman farm."

"Farm?"

"Yeah, there worth a lot."

"How?"

(This is the point where I start to drain the chamber)

"Oh, there bones are worth a lot. You have to let them breed for a bit before you kill them, tho, because otherwise there not woth the effort."

:o
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Cusi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 02:24:06 pm »

All I had to do in order to get my ex-fiancée to play it was to mention that its learning curve made EVE’s look like a gentle incline.

"Challenge accepted."

This challenge didn't affect that hyphenated title you gave your fiance did it?

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 02:24:58 pm »

All I had to do in order to get my ex-fiancée to play it was to mention that its learning curve made EVE’s look like a gentle incline.

"Challenge accepted."
This challenge didn't affect that hyphenated title you gave your fiancée did it?

What? No, not really.

That wouldn't be an interesting enough story, my life has to be much more exciting than that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:26:35 pm by KodKod »
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 02:49:16 pm »

"Challenge accepted."
This challenge didn't affect that hyphenated title you gave your fiancée did it?

What? No, not really.

That wouldn't be an interesting enough story, my life has to be much more exciting than that.
What we are interested in is whether he passed or failed the challenge.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 02:55:39 pm »

(*S*)he.

Kodkod prefers the fairer sex. Wouldn't have anything to do with the bearded menace.

I am sure that was a typo. We wouldn't want another gristly murder on our hands.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 03:12:45 pm »

Wife: *relieved* "LOL,whew! Had me worried there, thought you were serious, for a second I though this game was turning you into a psychopath!"

Some people are unable to recognize the diffrence between a game and real life. My girlfriend got upset when I butchered kittens and puppies.

This is actually a known difference in male and female psychology. I recall reading an article about this once. Before any forumgoers jump on me for being sexist, no, I'm not (or try not to be, anyway), but I do recognize that there are some basic differences in male and female perception of the world due to evolution and the gender roles we have played up until this point (for example, it is a scientific fact that females see the color red better than men - the best explanation for this is that females did most of the gathering in hunter-gatherer societies, and thus became better at picking out red berries/fruits).

Anyway, the article stated that girls tend to be more frightened by (and thus more frequently dislike) scary movies and similar media because their brains, on average (of course there is variation by individual) are more finely tuned to empathize with the situations of others, and thus the scary situations in such films seem more 'real' to them. The reason? Because women have played the primary part (and still do on average, despite some changing social trends) in child-rearing and nurturing, so there is a very strong evolutionary incentive for them to empathize with the needs and fears of their offspring so that they will be more likely to protect them and attend to them properly. Likewise, men are LESS likely to empathize with others, primarily because they have played less of a part in child-rearing and have mainly, in terms of evolution, been responsible for killing things (as hunters or warriors), so it is beneficial for men to be able to 'disconnect' from the reality and emotions of others to avoid too much psychological trauma.

It also explains why, as societies developed and history unfolded, men were warlike idiots responsible for most of the world's tragedies.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:17:58 pm by Lord Dullard »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 03:17:25 pm »

I'm also interested in whether or not the ex succeeded.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 03:24:01 pm »

Kodkod prefers the fairer sex. Wouldn't have anything to do with the bearded menace.

This is why I say fiancée instead of fiancé. Was it not clear?

What we are interested in is whether she passed or failed the challenge.

Oh, my ex managed to beat the learning curve alright, but only at the expense of everyone around her. She was one of those types of people who you don’t really want playing games, because the moment that anything ever goes wrong she flies into a hissy fit. A bad loser, as it was, and this is Dwarf Fortress... The first time those goblins reared their ugly heads it was all over.

What was I thinking? I was on the couch for about a week after that. Stupid bitch.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 03:25:12 pm »

Me: "So yeah it's really much more similar to a medieval simulation than a game. Want to try it?"

Guy: "Nah, the graphics kinda suck and it's slow, not at all like CoD."

I literally haven't spoken to him since. Granted he's kind of an idiot regardless...

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 03:25:19 pm »

DF: the game with a learning curve so steep, you could jump off and kill yourself.

all the people who have seen me playing or have had their attentions drawn by me playing DF, well the conversation tends to sound like this;

what are you doing? that looks ugly.

this is dwarf fortress. go away.

whats dwarf fortress?

its a game about losing. badly.

that doesn't sound like fun.

it is. go away.

whats the point?

didnt you ask a similar question already?

etc. etc. etc.

people dont seem to get that games dont have to be about shooting things, or running around aimlessly doing things. DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose. its about doing all the things you wish you could do on a massive scale. covering large numbers of creatures in water/magma, booting dogs and children off of high towers, sicking rabid ogres on elves just because you can, and above all, witnessing and orchestrating the downfall of civilizations.

All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 03:30:56 pm »

I think my best answer to the question "What's the point?" was to respond with "What's the point of life? Death is inevitable, it's what you do in the meantime that's important. Dwarf Fortress is the same way."
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 03:40:41 pm »

The best responce I've had is "Well, can you kill attacking wolves with other previously attacking dead wolves in anything else?"
They did not have an answer to that.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cusi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 03:52:35 pm »

I like the never ending game. Sure it ends, but there is no bright flashy "You win" message. Its play as long as you want in whatever way you want. I split my game time primarily between DF and LW (LastWinter) both games like that, in the sense of never ending. I was looking at the facebook learning curve picture today for DF and was thinking mine was more like a spiral, or an erratic line that had no idea where it was going.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 03:53:18 pm »

I think challenging someone to play with "I bet you couldn't make it past the third year" generally works pretty well... If they accept the challenge in the first place, they're potential DF material. If they can actually figure it out enough to make it through...2

As to winning, I don't like games where you can win as much anymore... It kind of feels like getting to the end of a book. Dwarf Fortress is like a book that just keeps on writing itself for as long as you can manage to keep reading.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 04:17:39 pm »

When describing to my friend how I wanted to create landmines from barrels of booze, I mentioned my experiment room.  Saying that the few creatures I caught in the caverns wouldn't be able to keep my scientists in supply for too long, I remembered that I cage puppies when they're born (to wait until they mature and can become war dogs).  I shared my plan to use the dozen or so puppies to test explosives.

I would've eventually caught onto the gravity of what I just suggested, but my friend's surprised look made it dawn on me sooner.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17