Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever  (Read 96989 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2012, 10:13:53 pm »

Last year when I played for the first week, I then went through excruciating detail explaining how complex the game was.  How amazing the possibilities.

My wife summed it up: "Oh, so they're pixel dwarves"

So now it's called Pixel Dwarves in our house.  And she just nods and smiles when I talk about my latest DF endeavor, whatever that may be.

It is interesting to note, though, that Pixel Dwarf talk ranks LOWER than listening/watching television, even with the option to pause the show.  That's a little disappointing, if you ask me.  I mean, how does American Idol compare to Zombie Wool?  That's like comparing gravel to sex.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2012, 10:17:37 pm »

I think, to sum it up...

There are no words to express how awesome Dwarf Fortress can be at its finest moments. Someone has to read Boatmurdered or The Hamlet of Tyranny or something of similar quality in order to get hooked beyond hope of return, before they play the game. They could also just play the game, but that doesn't happen quite as often, it seems.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2012, 10:19:39 pm »

Last year when I played for the first week, I then went through excruciating detail explaining how complex the game was.  How amazing the possibilities.

My wife summed it up: "Oh, so they're pixel dwarves"

So now it's called Pixel Dwarves in our house.  And she just nods and smiles when I talk about my latest DF endeavor, whatever that may be.

It is interesting to note, though, that Pixel Dwarf talk ranks LOWER than listening/watching television, even with the option to pause the show.  That's a little disappointing, if you ask me.  I mean, how does American Idol compare to Zombie Wool?  That's like comparing gravel to sex.

I'd rather the gravel.

I know right?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2012, 11:40:45 pm »

Friend: Mitch, want to play a game of LoL? We need a 5th guy.

Me: NO I'M TOO DAMN BUSY.

Friend: Doing what? Dwarf Fortress?

Me: THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Friend: That game sounds awesome.

Me: This warrior man, this warrior... She's dropped a baby in a lake, she had to kill the zombie baby, and now she's haunted by its ghost which I cant get rid of. So she goes and makes another one, only to get it set on fire in her hands.

Friend: Why isn't she on fire?

Me: I developed a way to catch demons which shoot web, then I forced it to work in a sweatshop and shoot its magma-proof web at children so I can collect it to make clothes.

Friend: Holy shit.

Me: FLAMING BABY FLAIL'S COMIN' AT YA DEMONS.
May I ask how you caught this web-spewing demon? For science, of course. And for the bragging rights value of having clothes made of demon silk. Though in-universe nobody who hadn't seen the silk being collected and processed would believe it was demon silk.

I think I just realized why all material values from randomly-generated creatures are 1.
くコ:彡

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2012, 12:59:52 am »

May I ask how you caught this web-spewing demon? For science, of course. And for the bragging rights value of having clothes made of demon silk. Though in-universe nobody who hadn't seen the silk being collected and processed would believe it was demon silk.

I think I just realized why all material values from randomly-generated creatures are 1.

I was going to keep updating but the thread died out. Just remove all of the cages at step 3. Also, it is only possible with web-demons made of flesh; it does not work with demons made of strange material such as fire or ash.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2012, 01:22:29 am »

I've actually found that dwarf fortress tales make for great conversation topics with non dwarf fortress-ers. It's pretty easy to turn a tale of everything going wrong at the end of a series of !!Fun!! events into a highly entertaining story. On the other hand, all of my friends are geeks. That might have something to do with it.
This was my favourite that I can remember:
Me: So then, after the giant spider demon had the majority of my seasoned soldiers trapped in webs, the goblins invaded.
Lady: uh-huh.
Me: So I sent out all that I had left, the one rookie to face the horde. She was well equipped but almost completely untrained.
Lady: I think I saw that movie, actually. Was she disguised as a man?
Me: And as the goblins charged, she stands her ground and bravely faces them down...
Lady: And wins, right? Cool story.
Me: And, with goblins all around her and limbs flying everywhere, she gave birth.
Lady: Wait, what?
Me: Then levelled up her combat skills, like, eight or nine times from all the goblins she was dismembering, but soon found herself cut off from her baby
Lady: How did she get back to him?
Me: She didn't. She decided she could really use a drink, and ran back to grab some mushroom booze.
Lady: What?
Me: The baby, of course, had its head bitten off by the goblin warleader. My hero rushed back to the front lines, but took an unlucky arrow to the head. The helmet took most of the damage, but she was knocked out.
Lady: So, you lost?
Me: Wait for it. Being knocked unconscious triggered the giant steel serrated disc traps she was standing on --
Lady: what.
Me: -- which took off both her legs at the knees. She then tore the remaining goblin's eyes out with her teeth, in the ensuing scuffle the now blinded goblin was tossed into the trap and expired.
Lady: Wow. So, the hero survived, then?
Me: Nope. She died of infection, and her husband went berserk and emptied a quiver of cat bone bolts into the mayor. The mayor's wife then ripped a door off its hinges in a tantrum; unfortunately, the door was to the auxiliary magma reserve and the dining room flooded with the red stuff. The only "survivor" went insane and tossed himself off of a windmill, but instead of the quick death he was hoping for, he broke both of his shins and died of dehydration.
*I glance over, she's writing this down*
Lady:  Hang on, go over that again, I don't want to forget any of this.

That was our first conversation longer than a few sentences. She posted the story onto facebook, and now she and all of her friends are hooked. We started dating shortly after.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2012, 01:48:16 am »

I've actually found that dwarf fortress tales make for great conversation topics with non dwarf fortress-ers. It's pretty easy to turn a tale of everything going wrong at the end of a series of !!Fun!! events into a highly entertaining story. On the other hand, all of my friends are geeks. That might have something to do with it.
Me: So then, after the giant spider demon had the majority of my seasoned soldiers trapped in webs, the goblins invaded.
Me: So I sent out all that I had left, the one rookie to face the horde. She was well equipped but almost completely untrained.
Me: And as the goblins charged, she stands her ground and bravely faces them down...
Me: And, with goblins all around her and limbs flying everywhere, she gave birth.
Me: Then levelled up her combat skills, like, eight or nine times from all the goblins she was dismembering, but soon found herself cut off from her baby
Me: She didn't. She decided she could really use a drink, and ran back to grab some mushroom booze.
Me: The baby, of course, had its head bitten off by the goblin warleader. My hero rushed back to the front lines, but took an unlucky arrow to the head. The helmet took most of the damage, but she was knocked out.
Me: Wait for it. Being knocked unconscious triggered the giant steel serrated disc traps she was standing on --
Me: -- which took off both her legs at the knees. She then tore the remaining goblin's eyes out with her teeth, in the ensuing scuffle the now blinded goblin was tossed into the trap and expired.
Me: Nope. She died of infection, and her husband went berserk and emptied a quiver of cat bone bolts into the mayor. The mayor's wife then ripped a door off its hinges in a tantrum; unfortunately, the door was to the auxiliary magma reserve and the dining room flooded with the red stuff. The only "survivor" went insane and tossed himself off of a windmill, but instead of the quick death he was hoping for, he broke both of his shins and died of dehydration.

That was our first conversation longer than a few sentences. She posted the story onto facebook, and now she and all of her friends are hooked. We started dating shortly after.

WHAT! You can get a GF by talking about this game but when I talk about to anyone I get laughed at. UNFARE!
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2012, 02:01:23 am »

WHAT! You can get a GF by talking about this game but when I talk about to anyone I get laughed at. UNFARE!

i once read a woman the owners manual to a samsung vhs player and she was ready to go.

it's about the tone man.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2012, 02:06:10 am »

i once read a woman the owners manual to a samsung vhs player and she was ready to go.

it's about the tone man.

My tone is great! But i dont thank it helps that im fourteen and look eight :'(
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2012, 02:09:31 am »

Me: "...And this is where I'll be installing the magma geyser."

Little Sister: *blinks* *stares* *blinks again* "...MAGMA GEYSER!?" :D :D :D
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

keremet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2012, 02:12:59 am »

And that, kids, is how I met your mother.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2012, 02:27:46 am »

I've had no luck convincing anyone to play or seriosuly pay attention to me. My family, though, assumes something DF-related has happened whenever I start laughing or yelling "NOOoo!" due to stories about furnace operators who bumped into fire snakes setting the booze stockpiles on fire and killing the entire fortress.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2012, 03:07:10 am »

I could never imagine discussing DF with someone who I didn't already know was into it. I personally am ashamed of my gaming.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Xebeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2012, 03:16:29 am »

I've explained the game to a few of my colleagues and they seemed quite enthusiastic about the game but they never actually starting playing save for one. He didn't do much past digging around though...

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2012, 03:31:59 am »

So I had my brother lurching over my shoulder like a condor (He does that, something about looking at what I'm doing when he's bored) and I was obviously playing dwarf fortress.
So he asks "What are those squares there?" "It's the stockpile designation. So stuff goes there depending on how I filter it"
"I see, and what's that?" "that's the staircase designation, i'm designating a staircase that goes way down into the magma sea" "I see, and that?" "that's the announcements" and so on.
Then at one point, I start going "OH FOR THE LOVE OF!" and he is "What? what happened?!" "The staircase." "What?" "It's bloodied" "So?" "So someone has fought there and looking at combat report it's a fire imp" "MEH!"*thinking it's the imps of d&d "What can it do?" *five seconds later* "This" and I point to how enflamed dorfs made the stockpiles, which were connected one to another start blowing up.
"Now, you are seeing red squares. What I see is a flamed dorf who has gone for a sip of whisky, while enflamed, has died from the explosion from the barrel, which then propagated the fire thanks to the quantity of socks and similar, and which has then done a Domino effect on the rest of the stockpiles, where other dorfs were in drinking/doing their stuff, taking items for their workshops, FLAMING items. Which then burned the workshops made of wood like the carpenter one, and finally they even brought the fire to THEIR BEDS IN THE HOSPITAL" "...only you can play something like this and be happy"
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17