Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever  (Read 97646 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2012, 10:38:05 pm »

Friend; *leans over my shoulder* What are you..... oh..... your programming? I was going to ask you do something for me but you look pretty busy bro.

Me; *grins evily* yeah......

I swear i could not stop grinning for a few days. And thats hy i pla DF, if i play it at school, when someone looks over my shoulder they dont even know im playing a game :p

"Oh, when did you break your computer?"

Every family member who has ever seen my play DF.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2012, 11:49:07 pm »

Well I left a page of the forums open one day, came back to my gf reading it with a disturbed look on her face.

She was like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? "I usually just drown cats and skin them for clothes for my children".

So I had to describe to her dwarf fortress and all its psychoticness and now well.. she plays more than me.
When you think about it all we really do is pretend not to be sick just so we can spread the disease.

Hey, when I introduced my cousins to DF, I didn't expect any of them would like it.

Surprising, my (female) cousin who's a avid sims player took to it quite well.

Turns out she's one of those players who enjoys killing sims in hilarious evil and creative ways and tormenting them by removing the ladders to pools and such.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2012, 04:22:32 am »

I occasionally like to creep people out by telling them the morbid details of children being stolen by goblins, body parts flying through the air, things being set on fire, kidneys and spleens and all that good stuff being impailed/sliced/bitten through, incurably insane dwarfs wandering around babbling until they dehydrate and/or starve to death, smashing things with bridges, impaling things with spikes, chopping things to bits with serrated disks, distraught wives throwing themselves down wells, gaggles of insane naked children picking fights with dogs and being bitten through their insides and bleeding to death, locking unwanted dwarfs in rooms until they die...

And then I laugh at all of this. My dad's wife thought it was pretty horrible. Heheh.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2012, 04:24:03 am »

"Dont tell me anymore, oh god."

"Sounds like crap. Needs guns"

"Crossbows? Needs guns"

"........Baby maces? Really?"

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2012, 06:32:01 am »

My wife-to-be is emotionally involved in my dwarves.

She will call me when i am at work, on her lunch break at work, and before she goes to bed for updates. When we go out to eat, the first thing after sitting at the table is "so how are the dwarves doing". She constantly names her favorite ones. She becomes distraught if one of them sufferes hardship. If they die, she misses them for days. She even wants to know about the animals. I am not allowed to slice up cats for food, because, you see, cats are cute. So are llamas, horses, dogs, cavys, and anything baby. If the fort does not have puppies and bunnys at all times, then it is wrong. Shes also a big ol' vampire fan, so you should see her face screw up trying to reconcile super cool vampires eating the super cool dwarves. Do we kill the vampire? Do we let it kill dwarves? It is a horrible paradox. She is, however, coming up with inceasingly clever creatively violent outright disturbing methods of slaughtering, preferably slowly and deliberately, those goblins and trolls that constantly menace her precious dwarves. Watching a goblin with 2 broken legs get beat to death by dwarf children, left for dead, then suffocating over the course of 3 months is funny for me. It is an intentional act of revenge for the unfair death of Mr. Beard for her.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2012, 08:04:23 am »

WHAT! You can get a GF by talking about this game but when I talk about to anyone I get laughed at. UNFARE!

I didn't even try describing DF to my last girlfriend. She would NOT have gotten it. But, some girls do really like hearing about the dwarven heroes, especially when I use my special voice. ;D

Finally, guys, unless you want to get this thread locked, because you're all behaving out of bounds, take it elsewhere.

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2012, 08:27:58 am »

I've never really received any shocked reactions from loved ones.  I think the mere scale of disaster in DF makes it a lovely conversational piece.  I also think the community enjoys being shocking and provocative, somewhat more than it should perhaps.

My favorite reactions have always come from describing what is possible in DF.  The ability to pump magma into slightly damp rooms to encase your enemies in stone, for example.  The upcoming minecart system will allow similar scope for stories.  Headshoots also makes a good conversation piece, as does boatmurdered.  My lady has always been interested in such, and only mildly amused by the carnage that is the average dwarven lifestyle.

I don't think that women are any less likely to enjoy Dwarf Fortress, given that they are gamers.  I just think that DF is hugely complex, and is difficult for casual gamers of any gender.  I do pity all of you who have girlfriends who don't enjoy video games.  Does that make me cruel?  8)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:18:51 am by Malorn »

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2012, 01:30:47 pm »

All I had to do in order to get my ex-fiancée to play it was to mention that its learning curve made EVE’s look like a gentle incline.

"Challenge accepted."
I lol'd at that one. xD

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2012, 01:46:55 pm »

My wife-to-be is emotionally involved in my dwarves.

She will call me when i am at work, on her lunch break at work, and before she goes to bed for updates. When we go out to eat, the first thing after sitting at the table is "so how are the dwarves doing". She constantly names her favorite ones. She becomes distraught if one of them sufferes hardship. If they die, she misses them for days. She even wants to know about the animals. I am not allowed to slice up cats for food, because, you see, cats are cute. So are llamas, horses, dogs, cavys, and anything baby. If the fort does not have puppies and bunnys at all times, then it is wrong. Shes also a big ol' vampire fan, so you should see her face screw up trying to reconcile super cool vampires eating the super cool dwarves. Do we kill the vampire? Do we let it kill dwarves? It is a horrible paradox. She is, however, coming up with inceasingly clever creatively violent outright disturbing methods of slaughtering, preferably slowly and deliberately, those goblins and trolls that constantly menace her precious dwarves. Watching a goblin with 2 broken legs get beat to death by dwarf children, left for dead, then suffocating over the course of 3 months is funny for me. It is an intentional act of revenge for the unfair death of Mr. Beard for her.

That is just adorable. If I were a more despicable person, I'd suggest holding her favorite dwarves hostage should you two ever get into an argument.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2012, 01:54:10 pm »

That is just adorable. If I were a more despicable person, I'd suggest holding her favorite dwarves hostage should you two ever get into an argument.

Yeah, that's a great way to get straight to the divorce - make it clear you are constantly searching for your spouse's weaknesses so that you can manipulate them against your spouse. 

Great for "trust building".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2012, 02:00:07 pm »

"What kind of word processor are you using?"
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2012, 02:08:57 pm »

Yeah, that's a great way to get straight to the divorce - make it clear you are constantly searching for your spouse's weaknesses so that you can manipulate them against your spouse. 

Great for "trust building".

+1

Quick question. Does this quote mean anything to you?

IT BLENDS! IT BLENDS! IT BLENDS! IT BLENDS! IT BLENDS!

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2012, 02:34:53 pm »

told my mom about the circus, she was enthused about it (being a Christian) and asked if i wanted to be a missionary >.>
later told her about the catsplosions and how to prevent them.  and then about goblin grinders without ceilings, she still doesn't see the game as being bad though : /
maybe the vampires and the wood worshiping cannibals could change that

my brother doesn't care because no multiplayer and the graphics : /
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2012, 02:37:49 pm »

told my mom about the circus, she was enthused about it (being a Christian) and asked if i wanted to be a missionary >.>
later told her about the catsplosions and how to prevent them.  and then about goblin grinders without ceilings, she still doesn't see the game as being bad though : /
maybe the vampires and the wood worshiping cannibals could change that

my brother doesn't care because no multiplayer and the graphics : /
She would only care if she's one of those right-wing-nut kind of christians. A "real" christian would not really care what you do with your spare time as long as your heart is pure.

Oh wait...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2012, 04:24:38 pm »

Graphics have been a bigger factor than anything I've seen.  But then if people can't look past the graphics, chances are they can't fully utilize the game either.

Also I'm curious as to how many people play DF but have never been on the forums...

What is an untainted fortress like, free of the blight the community encourages?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17