Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever  (Read 96993 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2012, 09:43:43 pm »

but see, while of course, many players (myself included) relish wanton death and cruelty, most of the time, that isn't the goal. it's done, say, to save the lives of the many. that's what makes it, well, not like a torture fest movie, where it's done to shock the viewer. here, it's a necessary evil.

sure, losing is fun. but staving off losing is more fun, IMO.

Completely agreed, I was just commenting on the sheer horror of what actually takes place at times, lol. Seriously, who here doesn't use captured goblins as test subjects? ;-)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2012, 09:44:52 pm »

they stole our children.

justafaid'

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2012, 09:53:54 pm »

but see, while of course, many players (myself included) relish wanton death and cruelty, most of the time, that isn't the goal. it's done, say, to save the lives of the many. that's what makes it, well, not like a torture fest movie, where it's done to shock the viewer. here, it's a necessary evil.

sure, losing is fun. but staving off losing is more fun, IMO.

Completely agreed, I was just commenting on the sheer horror of what actually takes place at times, lol. Seriously, who here doesn't use captured goblins as test subjects? ;-)

A game of that subject was actually produced and soled in video stores, at least in El Paso, TX. I watched one of my old army friends play it for about 30 minutes, it had some 'minimally creative' use of very graphic violence. I must say he was reaaaaalllly waaay into the horror genre, had all the Jason and Friday the 13th movies and props in his closet like shrine of collectors items (which he showed me once). I always wondered with him... lol

The game was 3d Isometric, but could be rendered fully 3d for cut scenes and gory kill maneuvers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_%28video_game%29

But... I found quake with its quirky physics to still be a more creative death simulator =P Ever shoot someone mid air with a rocket after rocket jumping yourself and bunny hopping across half the level?

I just don't see DF in this light, it is sooooo much more. But yeah, I also agree that it would be hard to sell this game with all its features and customize ability intact.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:56:22 pm by runlvlzero »
I voted for BANANA!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2012, 09:58:37 pm »

Aye, I think DF is unique in the complexity of it; and that's what turns people off about it.

DF is violent, but like many other games with this graphics level, it tones it down. The fact that a little 2 is flying away from other 2s to most people just looks like some complex, strange calculator.

My siblings hate hearing about DF nowadays. Pity.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2012, 10:02:41 pm »

Aye, I think DF is unique in the complexity of it; and that's what turns people off about it.

DF is violent, but like many other games with this graphics level, it tones it down. The fact that a little 2 is flying away from other 2s to most people just looks like some complex, strange calculator.

My siblings hate hearing about DF nowadays. Pity.

On a final note, I like to try and challenge my self with the occasional altruism in dwarf fortress. Can't tell you how many sieges have gotten a few soldiers inside because I waited till the very last second trying to save a lowly peasant migrant....
I voted for BANANA!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2012, 10:06:10 pm »

I can empathise. I sometimes identify very strongly with the dwarves in my fort... Post catastrophe cleanup is my favourite part of the game... Getting everyone back to a semblance of normality... stablising the industries that were ruined or damaged...

That's what I love most.

Of course, survivalism in games always appealed to me very greatly.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2012, 10:34:00 pm »

Then again shes a vegetarian and Im not.

I like to remind vegetarians that if we all went vegetarian that increased crop lands would result in the deaths of millions more animals. Hundreds of mice die for each acre of grain produced. But that never seems to matter...

Most people are amazed and confused when I talk about the game.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2012, 10:48:18 pm »

I like to remind vegetarians that if we all went vegetarian that increased crop lands would result in the deaths of millions more animals. Hundreds of mice die for each acre of grain produced. But that never seems to matter...

Well, of course. It's easier to ignore an animal's death when its corpse isn't sitting on a plate in front of you.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2012, 10:51:49 pm »

Friend: Wow! That game sounds great!
*Shows him the screen*
Friend: What in the fuckingfuckityfuckfuck is that?

It was his first ASCII game.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2012, 10:57:32 pm »

Bah. We eat too much meat, anyway. We only need a few ounces a week, good luck seeing a portion that small in a serving.

5 or so years ago there was an article in popular science. Basically the proposal was to dig out massive tracts of soil, and build a farm skyscraper city. 100 stories of farmland, massively increasing the amount of usable farmspace. You could also increase the air pressure and CO2 levels, which has been shown to increase crop size quite a bit (google it, nothing like 12 foot tall cherry tomato plants with tomatoes the size of grapefruits... Watermelons the size of beach volleyballs... Oranges the size of watermelons...).

Dangit, I can't even keep from derailing my own thread, lol.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2012, 11:11:51 pm »

Graphics have been a bigger factor than anything I've seen.  But then if people can't look past the graphics, chances are they can't fully utilize the game either.

It's not so much looking past the graphics as, well...

Several days of staring at the ASCII, until you realize that the " is a bush and the ` ' , . etc aren't.  Hours of trying before realizing that the magic combo of d>p will let you harvest a plant so as not to starve.  Another day or two before you realize that you can designate a whole area with the aforementioned command.  Then the learning curve of stockpiles.  THEN you find out that oh, lord, the stockpiles have barrels and things that go in them too?!

Then, one day, you wake up, and you see the matrix achieve satori run out of sanity points you simple see that a green paragraph break is a tree, has always been a tree, and always will be a tree.  Or maybe an olivine goblet, whichever.

What is an untainted fortress like, free of the blight the community encourages?

No kitten-killing, catsplosion or not.  Yeah, I'm a wuss.  I pioneered my first metal/glass smithing industry ever just so I could foist the furballs off on the elves without them having hissyfits over wooden cages.

I mean, it's basically Hostel, Saw, Hellraiser, and any other torture fest rolled together into a game, and then given sandbox open-ended-ness, lol.

Not really.  Hostel/Saw struck me as being gross and childish.  DF atrocities have purpose, man...  Mermaid soap is a profitable business venture.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2012, 11:41:53 pm »

Have you ever seen a 4"11"" 85-lb. blond girl make small chat over a romantic dinner about the intentional suffering of a defenseless goblion prisoner? This game is going to cause the downfall of modern society.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2012, 11:42:53 pm »

Why kill the animals over the kids?  You can tie up the animals to create an ADPTDS.  Can't do that with kids.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2012, 11:48:19 pm »

can't eat children.

YET

Hephaestus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2012, 11:49:19 pm »

Graphics have been a bigger factor than anything I've seen.  But then if people can't look past the graphics, chances are they can't fully utilize the game either.

Also I'm curious as to how many people play DF but have never been on the forums...

What is an untainted fortress like, free of the blight the community encourages?

Hah, well, as this is my first post on Bay12 ever, I think I can answer that!

I heard about this game from a friend, downloaded it, nearly caused myself some permanent brain damage from staring at ASCII characters, and immediately got myself a graphics pack and Therapist. The wiki has been my DF bible, but I played for some time before lurking these here forums for a while. My first forts were usually aimed at a goal of survival first, then without fail the construction of some large, impractical project. Digging out and smoothing as much of a cavern layer as I could, then setting up shop, for example. After all, you need SOMETHING to keep those idlers busy. Much less death and slaughter than I've seen around here. My dwarfy is more of a "collect, stockpile, and flaunt more wealth than you know what to do with" thing than a "conquer hell and do !SCIENCE! with puppies/babies/zombies!" thing.

So, hello to all you crazy people. I've had fun reading your exploits so far!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17